Intel vs AMD

Associate
I need to know why you are all Advising to buy AMD instead of Intel. ??
I have always gone for Intel as I am a photographer. (I do NOT game).

So what would you advice for a Photographer...Photoshop/Lightroom/On1 RAW etc. etc.
Budget around £800.
THANKS

Soldato
For gaming machines they generally offer better performance per £ as they are well priced at the moment, and tend to offer more cores so there's an element of future proofing going on.

If you have a more niche activity, such as no gaming but lots of photo editing then you'd have to look at performance benchmarks for the particular apps you most use.

Soldato
Have a browse through Puget Systems website. They're doing a good job of testing hardware for specific usage scenarios.

https://www.pugetsystems.com/labs/a...adripper-2-Intel-9th-Gen-Intel-X-series-1529/

https://www.pugetsystems.com/labs/a...formance-AMD-Threadripper-3990X-64-Core-1657/

To add to that - Intel hyperthreading vulnerabilities. Value for money, e.g. 6 core 12 thread v 6 core 6 thread. Fact there's not much difference in single-core speed now, though an overclocked modern Intel still pips Ryzen 3000 there. And to that we can add that existing motherboards will support Ryzen 4000, which may (or may not) finally take the single-core crown from Intel.

Soldato
I think it helps AMD that they don't change compatability and sockets as fast as Intel historically do as well.
So you don't nesseserilly need a new motherboard if you want to upgrade the CPU in future.

Associate
OP
Thank You ALL for your Kind Answers--Appreciated. Looks like I ain't going to Upgrade at moment. Just had Two 3TB hard drives go on me. One Seagate in my NAS Sharecenter, and a Toshiba in my Tower with all my photos on from 2 1/2 years. Good job I had them backed up. Now if any of you can point me to a place where I can download drivers for Windows 10 for Marvell 91xxSata 6G Controller I will be Eternally Grateful. Microsoft is Rubbish at giving proper drivers.Having a Bad Month so far..

Caporegime
I need to know why you are all Advising to buy AMD instead of Intel. ??
I have always gone for Intel as I am a photographer. (I do NOT game).

So what would you advice for a Photographer...Photoshop/Lightroom/On1 RAW etc. etc.
Budget around £800.
THANKS

AMD is much more powerful per £ spent. They also have future proof sockets. So upgrading is easier and cheaper.

Intel is too expensive and slower per £ spent. No easy upgrade path without upgrading the motherboard which means far too expensive to upgrade.

Soldato
For a few reasons. Intel have many serious hardware level flaws. AMD offer much faster chips for less money in 99% of situations.

Soldato
Intel - Security Flaws - Bein made slower constantly with Updates
High Power Consumption
Higher Temps
May be required to DELID and void warranty
No Stock cooler
No Upgradeability
Dead Platform
No Pci 4.0
Costs More

Soldato
So it looks like the King of CPU (intel) is now Queen or slave instead & AMD Rules.
How Good is AMD for photography...Thanks.

They will both so the same job, both are multi core, and photoshop can use GPU for filter processing also.

Years ago non intel chips were lousy, when cyrix and amd made x86 compatible CPU but they didn't have the same hardware features so micro code had to run in software or inefficiently. I remember my pentium ran much faster than mates crashy cyrix. That was 20 years ago. And back then we're bad also. I think they became decent around socket 939

Back
Top Bottom