Interesting F1 videos

Permabanned
I hate to say this, as I love F1 and the tech that goes with it, but when you see really what goes on in the world in real terms, and the importance of reducing damage to the Earth and living more sustainably, F1 more and more seems like a total extravagance and less and less relevant to motoring as it once was.

Given the fact you can barely watch it legally without being ripped off, I think its days are numbered when full electrics become the norm on the streets.

If there was a much more public endgame for instance, i.e F1 travelling and giving to charity/locals each place it goes, cool, but in reality the drivers and teams all seem caught in their own motorsport bubble, and sometimes appear quite selfish and self absorbed.

Caporegime
I hate to say this, as I love F1 and the tech that goes with it, but when you see really what goes on in the world in real terms, and the importance of reducing damage to the Earth and living more sustainably, F1 more and more seems like a total extravagance and less and less relevant to motoring as it once was.

Given the fact you can barely watch it legally without being ripped off, I think its days are numbered when full electrics become the norm on the streets.

If there was a much more public endgame for instance, i.e F1 travelling and giving to charity/locals each place it goes, cool, but in reality the drivers and teams all seem caught in their own motorsport bubble, and sometimes appear quite selfish and self absorbed.

F1 has been offsetting their carbon with tree planting for years now and this was also partially the reason they went with turbo charged hybrid engines. They use way less fuel now than they used to and produce more power as well.

Soldato

Strong first post in the F1 forum.

Soldato
F1 has been offsetting their carbon with tree planting for years now and this was also partially the reason they went with turbo charged hybrid engines. They use way less fuel now than they used to and produce more power as well.

and lets not forget that the tech motorsport to extract more power from limited engines has been directly translated into more fuel effecient tech for regular cars, take for example the development of the turbocharger, advances in aerodynamic modelling etc.

Soldato
I personally think, one set of tyres should last a full race. Puncture means change one. It seems incredibly wasteful to have tyres that burn out after under 10 laps.

Soldato
We tried that in 2005 and it was terrible. Racing itself is wasteful and uses all kinds of resources, but the production around it creates new technologies which help reduce waste in daily life. If you feel the need to justify it, then there's plenty of ways.

Soldato
The cost involved is another reason I'm for less aero downforce and more ground effect. I can imagine the team bosses of the likes of williams and force india telling the drivers not to break wings and things because they cost £250.000 plus! So in turn you get less opportunistic overtakes. Simple sturdy wings (so cheap) and I think you are more likely to stick your nose up the inside of someone and see what happens.

Associate
I personally think, one set of tyres should last a full race. Puncture means change one. It seems incredibly wasteful to have tyres that burn out after under 10 laps.
Raikkonen wouldn’t be too impressed (‘05
Nurburgring) or we have another 6-car race because tyres couldn’t cope.
2005 really was a farcical year, as someone has already said.

Man of Honour
Fire fireup of the Lotus 72 Chassis 5 by Classic Team Lotus.

Last ran in 1973, when Fittipaldi crashed it and had to be cut out of the car.

Bit of info from CTL unveiling the chassis in 2014 - linky

Back
Top Bottom