Intermittent Crashes shortly after Booting

Associate
Hey guys, I got the below bundle off her 3 and a bit years ago:

https://forums.overclockers.co.uk/t...ked-discounted-elite-tier-very-fast.18697252/

So that's the bones of my pc, along with an Asus 1070ti and a Seasonic Focus+ 850 platinum psu. The CPU is overclocked to stage one in the above forum thread and the whole system has been rock solid until recently.

About two months ago it shut down about 10 minutes after I booted up, and when I say shut down it was instant off, like the plug had been yanked. Came back on after 10 seconds or so and it booted into the bios with default settings for everything, saying boot disk failure. I reloaded the correct bios profile and restarted. Everything was fine for about 3 weeks until it did it again.

Its now doing it more or less everyday, same circumstances every time, always within 10 minutes of powering on. I can be mid game and stressing the system when it does it or it can be just sat in windows doing nothing. If it doesn't crash within that timescale its absolutely fine.

Temps seemingly fine, max any of the cores get to under stress is about 70.

Event viewer shows this, same every time

14o5fE0.png

Any ideas?

Associate
OP
So what would be causing that if temps are apparently fine?

Not doubting btw, just curious.

And why would it only ever happen in the first 10 mins of a boot?

Soldato
So what would be causing that if temps are apparently fine?
You're temps probably are fine - the clock may need refining to get things stable again, or it could be something else.

First logical step is to leave things at stock to see if this any impact on stability.

Report back in a few days if things improve...

...or as soon as it buckles again.

Soldato
That power loss hints to hardware crashing and not software/Windows.
Like BIOS/CPU/motherboard.
And crash always under certain time regardless of load doesn't fit to behaviour what PSU could cause.

Maybe CPU or something has degraded and isn't anymore stable.
First thing anyway in this kind situation would be removing overclocks.
Just to see if anything changes.

Associate
OP
Yeah I will return everything to stock next chance I get and see how things go.

I'm just baffled at how it always occurs within 10 minutes and never after! Maybe I should just leave it running :D

Soldato
If timing is always precise that might be another feature of hardware level backdoor/rootkit called Intel Management Engine.
That's caused to shut downs of PCs precisely at 30 minute mark from boot.

Soldato
Maybe the base clock needs bringing down to 1.0 from 1.25 now. Could be the board no longer likes it. I think the BCLK overclocking was done on that platform to get the RAM over 2666MHz. So if you verify all is well without overclock, would suggest trying to OC without BCLK, i.e. just increase the multiplier (well, and add Vcore etc). And leave RAM on 2666MHz. And test to see if any difference.

Associate
OP
So, update.

Ran everything at stock over the weekend, all seemingly well. Then turned the PC on last night and everything fired up but just got a blank black screen. Reset it and the post screen came up with a message at the bottom saying "windows boot repair" or something of that ilk. Then it just stuck on post screen for about 5 minutes before I restarted again and went into the bios.

It was all at stock but I just happened to look in the saved profiles and all my saved OC profiles were gone.

More and more restarts but could not get past the post screen.

Eventually took the battery out of the motherboard and then first startup after that it went straight into windows no questions asked. Had another look in the bios following the restart and all the saved profiles had reappeared.

Went back into windows and ran AIDA64 for 45 minutes stressing everything but the GPU. No problems at all. Max temps mid low 70s.

Reloaded the saved OC profile in the bios out of curiosity, ran AIDA64 again, no problems. Max temps high 70s.

All is definitely not well.

Soldato
If you haven't done so already swap out the CR2032 battery for a new one.

Rinse and repeat for a few days on stock, again.

PSU make/model?

Soldato
We can't rule the PSU out - but you have unit that almost absolves itself by name, model and quality alone...

See how you fair with the new battery at stock - i would buy a spangly new one if you're not sure how long the one's in the draw have been knocking around. I would leave the battery out for a good 10 minutes before replacing it with the new; considering that your CMOS became corrupted before (Unplug and press the case power button for a few seconds to fully deplete power before removing battery.)

Associate
OP
We can't rule the PSU out - but you have unit that almost absolves itself by name, model and quality alone...

See how you fair with the new battery at stock - i would buy a spangly new one if you're not sure how long the one's in the draw have been knocking around. I would leave the battery out for a good 10 minutes before replacing it with the new; considering that your CMOS became corrupted before (Unplug and press the case power button for a few seconds to fully deplete power before removing battery.)

Yeah, would be amazed if the PSU was causing problems, I imagine they come with a 10 year warranty for a reason and its just over a year old - But like you say you can never say never.

I'll buy a new battery and give it a whirl.

Associate
OP
So, changed the battery and ran at stock since the previous post. All seemed well although I mostly had it in sleep when not in use.

Anyway pc shut its self down yesterday presumably for some update. Now it won’t post. Turn it on and everything lights up and all the fans start up but nothing...apart from once in probably 20 efforts when it got as far as the gigabyte post screen but froze before I could get in the bios.

Any further ideas? My intuition is saying motherboard or cpu but it’s difficult to diagnose without spares.

Soldato
Breadboard it out of the case, without any drives, any case front I/O cables etc. Just the essentials. If motherboard doesn't have a Start button, power it up with the flat tip of a screwdriver on the two PWR pins where the case PWR cable usually goes.

Does sound like motherboard but could be borked drive ("Windows Boot Repair" you mentioned) or something else.

Did you use another PSU before the Seasonic Focus Plat or has that always been there?

Associate
OP
Surely a borked drive wouldn't stop me even getting as far as the bios?

I will try booting in the next few days with basics only installed.

Had an old Coolermaster PSU originally with this mobo/cpu/ram combo but the Seasonic has been installed for over 12 months.

Associate
OP
Removed the cmos battery whilst I made tea. Slapped it back in an hour later and started it. Lights and fans before restarting itself after about 10 seconds. It went through this cycle about 3 times before staying ‘on’. Restarted myself, same again but without the self rebooting cycle this time.

Disconnected all drives. No difference.

Disconnected the GPU as well. No difference.

CPU AIO fans and pump are working (I can feel liquid flowing in the pipe).

This was all with 1 stick of ram. Also tried a different stick/slot.

I’m out of ideas, pretty sure it’s dead...just a question of whether it’s mobo, cpu or more unlikely psu.

Back
Top Bottom