Intermittent fps drops in all games

Soldato
A few days ago I noticed that I'm getting intermittent fps drops in every game I play (Dishonoured 2, AC Origins, Fallout 4 and Prey). The game will initially run pefectly at 60 fps avg (using AC as an example), but after five minutes or so, the frame rate drops by at least 50%. This lasts for a few seconds then returns to normal. It then happens again every couple of minutes. The problem didn't exist until recently and I've made no hardware changes at all.

I'm at a loss to explain what's causing this. So far I have tried disabling the 3d sound effects setting for my speakers, as I was told it might help. It didn't. I've disabled superfetch, closed all possible background processes and monitored temps. Which are fine. If anyone can shed any light on this, I'd greatly appreciate it. There's got to be something I've overlooked.

My specs are - Water cooled Amd 8350, 16gb Ram, Gtx 980ti. Running a fully updated version of Windows 10. Although I am using a mechanical HD, the problem didn't exist previously.

Cheers.

Soldato
Assuming no problems with temps, sounds like something is starting up in the background or possibly a driver / corrupted app issue.

When it slows go straight into task manager to see what is using cpu.

Soldato
OP
Thanks for the advice. My temps are within normal limits, so no issues there. I'll give the cpu usage a check next time it happens. I don't recall which version number I'm on, but the last major update I installed was the creators one, I think it was called. Live tiles are disabled. Ill try disabling search services as well.

Soldato
OP
I've just been monitoring the CPU utilization and for some reason, every few minutes, it's dropping by about 50%. It appears that this is causing the performance drop. I have no idea why it should be doing this though:confused:

Soldato
OP
I thought I'd resolved this by changing the application priorities, but nope. Any more guesses? I'm stumped.

Soldato
Have you tried disabling GameBarPresenceWriter.exe by any chance? I use Process Lassoo* to do that, so as not to have to mess too much with registry (it'll just re-enable itself anyway with next big Windows udpate).

* Right-click the process name in the Process Lassoo list, and choose "Terminate always". Each time it starts, it gets terminated.

Another reason I'm suggesting this is because if necessary you can tinker with other Process Lassoo features (activate Bitsum High Performance etc), and also by default it restrains processes that are affecting system responsiveness while playing games, so who knows if it could take care of the problem one way or another, whatever it is.

Back
Top Bottom