Internal & External mic on Laptop does not work

Soldato
My son has a MSI GE72 2QC laptop and the internal mic doesnt work and if I use an external headset with Mic, either via USB or the 3.5mm mic input jack it doesnt work. Windows 10 x64 and latest update.

It has Realtek drivers with the Nahimic software, both latest from MSI's website. In Sound properties it shows Realtek device for Microphone and Stereo Mix. It also shows analog jack and 3.5mm input jack. I tried uninstalling both the realtek and Nahimic software and letting it use MS's drivers. I tried re-installing both drivers. I also downloaded Realtek HD Audio drivers from Realtek website.

If I use a USB headset it shows the microphone properties appear in Device Manager under Audio inputs, and if I remove it this disappears so its detecting that. Its got 100 level, not muted. All hardware is tested as working in my other sons laptop (Acer).

If I use an analog headset and put the headset jack in the headphones socket it recognises it but if I put the mic jack in the other socket it doesnt recognise it.

I think the only explanation I can find is the laptop has a faulty Realtek chip. I might see if I can create a Win7 or Win10 OS on a usb stick and boot to that just to rule out the OS.

Anyone else had the same issue ?

Back
Top Bottom