Internal Gear Cable Liner

Soldato
Hey guys,

I'm going to be upgrading the TRP disc brakes to hydraulic on my Giant Defy in the coming weeks and during this I'll be replacing the gear cables.

Do you guys recommend internal cable liners to be left in?

I was thinking I'll just add a liner on the BB area to the front derailleur, but not so sure now as I think as standard it has a liner the full length of the wire.

Also, any advice on installing the rear hydraulic brake hose in place of the brake cable without BB removal is appreciated.

Cheers

Soldato
Leave it in if possible but I'd cut the old cable at the shifter side and pull it out at the mech side whilst pushing an inner cable through behind it.

The amount of times I've pulled one of those Shimano fluffy cables out and the fluff blocks the liner meaning the new inner won't go through is far too much.

I did have to cut one on a TCR an inch or so before the BB guide area and I fitted a new 2" long part from the guide up to the front mech as that is where it's needed really.

The brake hose I've no idea but it's never easy! I would try taping the old cable out and new hose together with electrical tape and pushing/pulling up through the frame.

Soldato
OP
Just an update, I managed to install the new cables and hoses with minimal fuss replacing the mech 6800 levers and TRP Spyre calipers.

Installing the rear hydraulic hose(bh90) was easy. I just used the existing cable as a guide and push/pulled it, as what Jonny said above.

The hardest part was feeding the rear derailleur cable through the chainstay due to a hidden cable inner inside. Use of a magnet and thread I managed feed a cable through and removed the inner.

Just to test them out :)

Back
Top Bottom