Internet gaming over wireless network (newbie question)

Associate
Hi,

I have been thinking of making a small wireless network in my house (2 PCs only) so that my brother and I can both play online games through the same internet connection at the same time.

2 questions; Am I right in thinking that all we would need would be two wireless PCI cards - and if so, what ones would you recommend? Also, will there be any problems with connection/ping for the PC that does not have a direct internet connection? This is an issue as we both play FPS games.

Thanks

Last edited:
Associate
you'll need a router, or a pc with a nic and a wireless card - plus a wireless card for every pc u wanna connect wirelessly.

I've been wireless for about 1.5years now, on a b network, its perfectly fine although it does add about 2-10ms on my ping in cs..however its not noticeable and may not be the case with newer hardware (my router is a piece of crap too)

Caporegime
spirit said:
how well does it work? :)

On the whole it's fine, if you just want to hook two machines together.
Encryption support can be iffy, ICS isn't great and you can hit the odd weird driver thing, but it should work (to some extent).

As I said though, I can't say I'd recommend it.

Associate
OP
spirit said:
you'll need a router, or a pc with a nic and a wireless card - plus a wireless card for every pc u wanna connect wirelessly.

I've been wireless for about 1.5years now, on a b network, its perfectly fine although it does add about 2-10ms on my ping in cs..however its not noticeable and may not be the case with newer hardware (my router is a piece of crap too)

Ok so both computers already have network (ethernet) cards. Am i right int hinking that what you're suggesting is what I already factored in plus a router? What difference will this make?

Thanks,

Caporegime
The difference is neither machine will be dependant on the other for its internet connection, and you could sit the router at some halfway point between both machines (ergo reduce the likelihood of issues with signal strength/interference).

Associate
I've been using ICS ocer my 100mb wired LAN for about a year now and its worked fine. No noticeable slow-downs or anything.

Only problem is that my PC has to be on for the other to get the internet but as mine's usually on most of the time, doesn't matter :)

Back
Top Bottom