Internet options

taB

taB

Associate
Morning, am after some advise as to how I get the internet working smoothly at home.

We've recently moved into a nice cottage that's very rural. There is a listed part with extension and an office in a shed removed from the house. Currently the office has 2 phone lines with one internet connection to it and the house its own line with net connection. The buildings are on separate ring mains.

We want to stop paying one of the net subs as it seems daft to have both and just keep the phone number and net connection in the house. As such I am looking for options as to how I get internet into the office. power over ethernet doesn't work because they're not on the same power ring (or at least that's why I think it doesn't work). Wifi doesn't reach as the only phone connection in the house is at the opposite end. I reckon there's 40 or so metres between my computer and where the router can sit. I have bought a netgear wifi extender (EX2700-100UKS Mini 300 Mbps) but the furthest socket from the router I can put it in results in a non stable connection to the PC.

We will ideally be doing some renovations in 18 months and I will make changes to socket locations and the like then but any thoughts on a shorter term solution (preferably without paying someone lots of money) in the meantime? Perhaps there's a more powerful wifi extender I could buy or similar?

Thanks muchly in advance.

taB

taB

Associate
OP
Not that I've been able to work out. There's no wall cavities or anything in the listed part of the house where the phone line comes in so it would have to just be tacked on the wall (not something that would look nice) and I'd also have to dig up a patio to get to the office.

APM

APM

Associate
Run an overhead cable to the shed from where your current master socket is?

If there's a hole in the wall/window frame or whatever for the cable to come in then run an ethernet out through the same hole and then follow on an external overhead run to the shed.

Cat5e ethernet is classed for 100m runs so your 40/50m run should be fine.

taB

taB

Associate
OP
Run an overhead cable to the shed from where your current master socket is?
If there's a hole in the wall/window frame or whatever for the cable to come in then run an ethernet out through the same hole and then follow on an external overhead run to the shed.
Cat5e ethernet is classed for 100m runs so your 40/50m run should be fine.

Thanks. Unfortunately the phone line is plastered (not exactly but sort of) into the side of the building. Would have to chip a lot of stuff off and get someone in to fix over so would get pricey. I think an overhead line wouldn't sit well with the Mrs either.

The Ubiquiti stuff looks smart. Any noob guides on what I'd need to purchase kit wise?

Don
-Ask an electrician friend to give you a hand
-Do it when the Mrs is out
-Run 2x external cat5e cables (1 as a spare)

Take photos of it so we can see what you're working with..

Soldato
Cable all the way. Discrete hole in a window or door frame from the main house. Dig a trench to the shed and lay two cables in a piece of conduit. Drill hole in shed.

Or you could use ubiquiti nano stations for a wireless point to point link if you have line of sight. Not as good as a cable but I've had decent reliability and success with them. Certainly the distance is no problem, but by the time you've drilled holes for cabling them to each building's internal network infrastructure you may as well have dug that trench.

Back
Top Bottom