1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Interview dress code

Discussion in 'General Discussion' started by triggerthat, 28 May 2006.

1. triggerthat

Soldato

Hi,

I need to buy a shirt and a tie to go with my grey suit. What colour would you say is suitable for an interview?

:)

The firm is a website consultancy organisation based in london.

Last edited: 28 May 2006
  2. Gilly

Man of Honour

A t-shirt?

To go with suit and tie?

:/

3. triggerthat

Soldato

shirt. :o

4. Gilly

Man of Honour

Better :)

I'd just go to a department store and pick up a shirt and tie combo. Fairly middle of the road for an interview IMO. Pastel colours.

5. MaxPower

Wise Guy

PINK!

on a serious note, nothing attention drawing just a plain tie and shirt combo.

6. triggerthat

Soldato

Would you say a tie is necessary however?

7. VeNT

Capodecina

naked, with a tie

8. Gilly

Man of Honour

Yup.

9. Trifid

Sgarrista

You can't say they will forget about you when you leave the room.

Anyway, pink goes quite well with grey, but I haven't got round to wearing one. Go to Debenhams, and ask one of the employees there.

10. Matteh

Wise Guy

As said, suit, shirt and tie in nice, inoffensive pastel colours. Also, remember to polish your shoes and generally be clean and tidy.

11. SteveB_NI

Gangster

I've got an interview next week for a school ICT technician job. I was going to wear my black pin stripe jacket and trousers with a plain black shirt (black and silver tie). Should I change my choice now? lol.

A part of me is also thinking I should wear my light blue shirt (pale pastel blue) with a darker, but still light blue tie.

Choices choices!

12. Matteh

Wise Guy

Although there is nothing wrong with what you have planned to wear (I often wear dark/all black shirts, suits and ties to work) I would personally wear something a bit lighter and brighter for your interview, so imo go with the light blue shirt + tie.

At the end of the day it will come down to what your more comfortable in, and your interview isn't really a fashion contest - As long as you are dressed smartly, your clean, hair in place and you carry yourself well you should be fine.

Good luck all round btw!

13. Violent-J

PermaBanned

Would a pair of plain black cheap o school trousers, smart black shoes and a shirt be ok for an interview? I've got an interview with Tesco and I plan to work their over the summer and I've not got a suit.

14. Matteh

Wise Guy

I went to my sainsburys interview when I was 16 in smart jeans, jumper and trainers. What your suggesting will be fine :)

15. VeNT

Capodecina

thats slightly different to a real job tho isn't it?

16. William

Capodecina

Grey suit.... I am thinking a beige and peach stripey shirt with no tie. :cool:

17. Matteh

Wise Guy

yes. I was answering Violent-J's question, not the OP's one, which I had already given my input to. Any 'proper' job interview I've gone to I've been fully suited and booted :)

18. DaveyD

Man of Honour

As long as the trowsers are neat and tidy, and importantly ironed, then it should be okay, you'll look smart enough I reckon.

I've hot 10 interviews in the last 3 months, oh god I hate them now, I've had a couple of 'informal' interviews, where i've dressed down via not wearing a tie or jacket, but keeping the rest.

If you go for just trowsers + shirt + tie, then wear a smart jacket if the weather is bad, don't go for some random sports jacket as that will totally spoil it :)

19. DB_SamX

Sgarrista

Tbh, I only wore a full suit on my first interview then realised it made me uncomfy. Every other time, it has been trousers, shirt and tie only. I don't really think a suit jacket is that important in most job interviews, especially in warm weather. You just end up looking overdressed.

20. Morba

Caporegime

ive always liked the idea of taking note of what you would be wearing in the position you are applying for, then dressing a level above it.

failing that, ring and ask what would be most appropriate to wear to the interview :]