Interview problems

Soldato
I am struggling with securing a position atm. I have had some recent feedback from a agency who said that I was the strongest candidate on paper but they gave the job to someone else because I didn't sell myself and seemed quite nervous.

This was a suprise to me, because although I do get some slight nerves (who doesn't) when entering into something so important, but for the most part I am confident. I don't slouch, I always keep my head up and keep eye contact without staring.
I guess if anything I struggle to adlib naturally if I'm asked something unusual. Answering question on the fly often gets me a little in a twist and I suffer to remember anything I have practiced before.

What can I do to solve this. I have been to 5/6 interviews as of late so practice and self confidence is getting hit hard. I need to some how come across to these people as relaxed (without looking sluvenly) friendly etc and also somehow having a catalogue of brilliant answers, that I can remember.

Any tips or website/videos that can give me an insight into the mind of the employer. I thought I had a decent grip on things, but this doesn't seem to be the case.

Last edited:
Caporegime
I was just going to suggest that some acting or improv classes would probably help bring you out of your shell a bit, you'll find these run by local theatre groups, short courses at colleges/drama schools and various independent companies also see various comedy clubs/groups for the improv classes.

also I've heard good things from people re: toastmasters

https://www.toastmasters.org

though the other posters probably do have a point too - bit of a sense of humour failure above tbh... perhaps you do need to lighten up a bit too

lastly this channel probably covers some of the stuff you're asking for from the OP - it is run by a former HR professional, for some people it might seem a bit basic and perhaps could be stating the obvious for some but if you're struggling then it is probably worth looking through the videos:

https://www.youtube.com/user/CareercakeTV

anyway I'd hope if mods do take action re: this thread then it would be to lock rather than delete as I reckon the above suggestion is valid for any number of people, introverted or not, wanting to improve their performance in presentations, sales pitches or interviews.

Soldato
OP
That's the problem. I am by no means in any shell. If anything I am extroverted. Trust me when I say it came as a shock when they said it. However I guess it has to have some truth to it, as I seem to be gettting turned down for jobs I should have a decent chance of getting.
The poster above can go do one (thank you for your help Dowie). I need some help and I don't it making light off frankly. Caught me at a bad time, when I am far from amused.

Caporegime
well if you felt confident then that is one good thing at least, though if you're awkward when you need to react to things/answer stuff on the fly then I reckon the above suggestion re: classes of some sort where you're going to get feedback from a third party would likely still be useful, maybe there are things that someone else can point out to you and address

in my first job the first few weeks were set aside for a grad training scheme, one of those weeks was 'soft skills week' part of that involved a couple of professional actors come in and spend some time working with us - this covered all sorts of things from even stuff you'd assume is incredibly basic like how to stand! There was a bit of voice coaching, various games and we were later filmed delivering presentations in front of the rest of the group... then had to watch them back - that is an interesting (and sometimes awkward) experience! Anyway you could definitely see an improvement in people from the way they stood, projected their voice etc.. (though whether that improvement lasted or not is another matter - I tend to think this stuff needs to be practiced else it will fade if you're not regularly delivering presentations or pitches)

anyway it doesn't cost much to just try a taster improv session or perhaps turn up to toastmasters and see what they're like...

Last edited:

A2Z

A2Z

Soldato
I always think of an interview as the 1st day at a new job. So I go in with the mindset I already have the job, and am just getting to know the people (interviewer).

Also prepare some questions that you think THEY will ask you, so you already have the answer.

And lastly, when you can, try and build some rapport. Eg. if the interviewer is foreign, ask where they are from, then you can say whether you have ever been there/always wanted to go, etc etc etc.

Soldato
If you are asked a question you are not expecting, play for time to think of an answer. Whether its a sip of water/tea/coffee or just starting with "Thats a good question and I'm glad you asked me...<then take a drink>...."

You should also be able to work out if the interviewer is nervous too within the first few questions so adding appropriate humour can settle them as well and it makes you look good too.
My most recent interview (panel) was led by someone that hadn't done any before (it was his department so he had to). Being questioned by 3 different people was interesting and i could focus on each one during my answers but not settle on anyone in particular. I could see him relax as the interview went on as I used examples they were likely to be familiar with.

Re: Toastmasters. A friend joined a couple of years ago and has been much more confident ever since. Even if you are confident in yourself, you can always learn something on how to engage various audiences.

Caporegime
And lastly, when you can, try and build some rapport. Eg. if the interviewer is foreign, ask where they are from, then you can say whether you have ever been there/always wanted to go, etc etc etc.

be careful with that one:

:D

Soldato
Do you remember things between interviews? How long is the gap between each interview? Queue a few up in the same week before the one you really want to perfect, with a day to rest and reflect. If they are in the same industry or job spec, you will not only find it easier to not freeze, but will gain insight into both the pattern and the expected answers to scenario questions. By and large the interviewers will want to hear the same thing, give or take terminology from the job spec and the manager's background. These two can be handled by actively reading a bit around the company before the interview to refresh your memory. A reasonable degree of scenario questions test how you think given the constraints of what you put down on the application form, covering letter and the role you're applying for (if it appears hard, it's probably simpler than you think); for puzzles, a good answer is better than the first thing that pops into your head. To play for time, make eye contact, talk about the question and clarify the scenario, drink water and do actually think about it. Body language and eye contact from the interviewer should tell you whether you're on the right track or not (are they nodding? do they look bored? are they opening their mouth to say 'exactly' 'right' 'great' and move on? are they reading from your CV/form/covering letter as you answer?).

Finally, don't spiral over the outcome. A job is a job is a job. You will likely have more than one in your lifetime and dozens of interviews. Think not 'what's wrong with me?', focus on 'what happened and what can I do better?'. You can one-up dowie's advice and record yourself being interviewed by a friend to a mock job. Chances are this sort of experience will be more awkward than the actual thing, and you can catch on the things you focus on and those you miss.

Just like many things highlighted on this subforum - it's a skill.

A2Z

A2Z

Soldato
be careful with that one:

:D
That video is so silly. She could have just said 'Im from xxx but my family is from Korea'. Doesn't matter where she was born, she's clearly not 100% American, which is the whole reason the guy was asking. She was just being awkward by not telling him straight away.

Caporegime
What do you mean by 100% American?

It was just a lighthearted clip but seriously if you think it is a good idea to pick up on an interviewer's ethnicity and then make a point of commenting on it for the sake of somehow building rapport then it could easily come across badly.

A2Z

A2Z

Soldato
What do you mean by 100% American?
100% whatever = someone who doesn't have a background from any other country.

It was just a lighthearted clip but seriously if you think it is a good idea to pick up on an interviewer's ethnicity and then make a point of commenting on it for the sake of somehow building rapport then it could easily come across badly.
I completely 100% disagree. Nearly every single person I meet asks me where I am from as I have a 'different' name and look. Not once has it offended me, why would it? Also when I meet someone and ask them where they are from they have always been happy to talk about their origins/country and it always leads on to other conversations where we build rapport.

Caporegime
100% whatever = someone who doesn't have a background from any other country.

yes, but in the context of America/the US WTF do you even mean by that? You realise the country is mostly made up of the descendants of immigrants?

I completely 100% disagree. Nearly every single person I meet asks me where I am from as I have a 'different' name and look. Not once has it offended me, why would it? Also when I meet someone and ask them where they are from they have always been happy to talk about their origins/country and it always leads on to other conversations where we build rapport.

Because your idea was to specifically ask someone where they're from if they're foreign and then make some fake positive statement about the place... This would be especially cringeworthy if you've got one 'foreign' interviewer who you make a point of asking where they're from and one British one with a clearly identifiable accent.

Man of Honour
Any tips or website/videos that can give me an insight into the mind of the employer. I thought I had a decent grip on things, but this doesn't seem to be the case.

More than ever in my 32 years of work, businesses and business people seem to want to homogenise each and every aspect of doing the job. LinkedIn has come littered with soundbites and "5 tips for X" type posts but experience has shown me one thing. People are all different, we do things differently, we look for different things in people, we make decisions on different factors so trying to come up with a one size fits all is impossible. It doesn't mean there are fundamentals you should consider to put you in the right place, but when it comes to impressing people that can often be very different.

When I interview people I look at a broad range of things some of which I will summarise here. This is not an exhaustive list and of course I will elevate and demote some of these based on the role:

Before Meeting (Some of these become apparent on meeting)
  • Have they communicated well?
  • Have they understood the interview format and process to recruit?
  • Have they asked who will be interviewing them and what they will be looking for form the first meeting?
  • Have they asked questions to help them understand my business and to form their questions for the interview?
  • Have they asked people within their network about the company, people, products, customers, roles, careers and progression?
On first meeting
  • Is the person on time and ready at the agreed time?
  • Are they presentable, clean and well groomed?
  • Do they make eye contact and smile on first meeting?
  • Do they build a rapport with others whilst waiting?
  • How do they walk into a room and what do they talk about?
  • Are they carrying 15 bags/items and a Costa?
  • Do they look at ease in their body?
Fundamentals During Interview
  • How well do they listen, answer and question?
  • Are those answers/questions well thought out and relevant?
  • Do they demonstrate they have researched me, the company, others in the room?
  • Do I think they will work well with others and add value to my team/teams?
  • Do they understand their weaknesses and what they need to do better?
  • Can they evidence of doing something innovative, different or clever that makes them stand out?
  • Can they tell me what they have learnt from failing?
  • Does their history suggest ambition, growth, success and bringing value?
  • Are they happy and what makes them happy?
  • What frustrates them, annoys them, causes them to sleep badly?
  • What success means to them and what they career ambitions are?
  • What do they feel they bring to the company?
  • Do I like them, do I think others will like them?
  • Would I want to manage them or have them managed on my behalf?
  • Why should I offer them the job?
  • Have I enjoyed the interview?
Closing
  • There is no reason for leaving any interview without asking how it went?
  • There is no reason for not asking "will you be moving to the next stage with me"?
  • There is nothing wrong with asking "Is there anything you have heard today that would prevent me working for your company"?
  • There is no reason, in the correct setting, for asking "can I have this job please"
So many people interview well, stand up and walk out without closing the interviewer or interviewers. You have given your time up to come meet with a potential new employer. Yes they have given you their valuable time, but you have also have gone out of your way to be there, prepare and research. You have earned the right to asked questions before, during and after yet so few people do.

My advice is OP is listen less to the agency, who tend to make up stuff on the sport. If you are nervous then you are like most people in an interview and you should be. Try some breathing exercises, prepare and know you have prepared and go into the meeting with a clear view of the above would be my advice. As I have said I have a way, others will do things differently but 80/20 rules tend to apply here. All of the stuff above is relevant and will be the same for most. It will be nuanced and may miss bits others would specifically look for but I find if you prepare well then the interview itself will go much better.

Back
Top Bottom