Interviews

Associate
How do people schedule interviews for new jobs when they are in a role already?

I have a two hour interview next week and I'm lucky in that I work flexibly but what happens if you don't have this luxury? One might have many interviews but not enough holiday time to spare.

Soldato
I haven't been looking recently but if I were looking I'd request late or early interviews and work around them. As we are a 24/7 manufacturing plant I can start at 6 easily enough, or work a Sunday to get a day off in the week.

Back in the day I used my spare holidays and considering I only had half a dozen they didn't go very far, especially where they usually do 2-3 interviews before choosing.

Deleted member 651465

D

Deleted member 651465

Holidays, time in lieu or sick days (did this once).

In my last role, my boss knew I went for at least one interview as he gave me a reference but I never told him of the 3 others I had with my current employer as I didn’t want to make it seem like I was desperate to get out (I was).

Being management now, I’d probably just work from home or leave site for the time required.

Man of Honour
One might have many interviews but not enough holiday time to spare.

Generally speaking I will keep a couple of days holiday in reserve and certainly if I were to be thinking of leaving then I would have a few more tucked away. If you end up needing more than half a dozen days for interviews in a short space of time then probably need to think about interview approach / type of jobs being applied for anyway. Dependent on how close the job is to your current place of employment you may be able to fit them in to an extended lunch break or at the end of the day.

My current employer is located 2hrs+ away from my previous one; I had to attend two sets of interviews so one day I used holiday for, the other I arranged to be on a client site that was relatively close by.

Soldato
'Working from home' or 'Medical Appointment' - given the last few places I work have been dress down its pretty obvious that I'm going to an interview if I rock up in a suit.

Deleted member 651465

D

Deleted member 651465

'Working from home' or 'Medical Appointment' - given the last few places I work have been dress down its pretty obvious that I'm going to an interview if I rock up in a suit.
I normally change in the back of the car. Like a **** Superman :D

Associate
I envy you guys that seem to be able to take holidays at the drop of a hat.

My employer requires 4 weeks notice, but the way the roster is managed it frequently results in over 5 weeks notice being required to take holidays.

I'd never condone such action, but I think many, dare I say most, people are forced to pull sickies.

Alternatives have been mentioned, i.e try to schedule it for lunch time, first thing in the morning or last thing at night and try to escape work early, or make up a dental appointment. ;)

Soldato
I was honest and said where I was going and that I was keen to move on. They allowed time off for interviews so that helped.

Where I am now I'd probably book a day off.

Soldato
I straight up told my previous employer. They were fine about it and understood my reasons for leaving. My boss at the time was due to retire after a couple more years, so he didn't really make any effort to stop me. The company was doomed as soon as he left and the MD's son attempted to take charge, so I wanted out before that went off.

Back
Top Bottom