Votes: 39 13.4%
  • iPhone 12 Pro

Votes: 93 31.8%
  • iPhone 12 Pro Max

Votes: 109 37.3%

• Total voters
Associate
If so, what's your point?

I'm sure there are a lot of people who bought a cheaper product because they can't afford a very expensive model.

And there are people who look at value for money and think they can get more bang for their buck with an Android device.

If you're an Apple fan then you should be very happy with anyone switching, or do you personally see your iPhone as a status symbol and does opening this up to more people in some way offend you?

In Europe the iPhone still only has 30% market share I believe. Apple has to open up their range and offer cheaper devices to continue to grow and get more people in the ecosystem buying apps, music subscriptions, movie rentals etc.

Not that it bothers me, but I just find it amusing that for a loooooooong time, there's been that contingent of the Android community that are/were happy to call Apple/iPhone users "sheep" that were happy to follow the herd, and that Android users were morally better for having an Android device that has more features for cheaper and it's now those same people that are all now jumping over to iOS.

Soldato
Not that it bothers me, but I just find it amusing that for a loooooooong time, there's been that contingent of the Android community that are/were happy to call Apple/iPhone users "sheep" that were happy to follow the herd, and that Android users were morally better for having an Android device that has more features for cheaper and it's now those same people that are all now jumping over to iOS.

I've personally never understood the sheep argument, but I get that there are people out there that do buy things they can't afford because other people do. Meh, I just let them get on with it.

Soldato
I wouldn't be to quick to dismiss the 'sheep' type comment, there is certainly a large population of Apple customers who buy Apple products because of the image the brand has and what they think it portrays to others. This is particularly prevalent with 'younger' (e.g. less than 35) people. There is an equally large population of Android users who refuse to consider an iPhone because they don't want to be a part of 'that crowd' which in reality are just as bad.

This absolutely applies to iPhone's, with some people if you have a blue text bubble on messages you are considered to be in the club. Before iPhones were a thing you had to have a Blackberry to be considered to be 'in the club' so you could BBM all your friends all day.

Soldato
I wouldn't be to quick to dismiss the 'sheep' type comment, there is certainly a large population of Apple customers who buy Apple products because of the image the brand has and what they think it portrays to others. This is particularly prevalent with 'younger' (e.g. less than 35) people. There is an equally large population of Android users who refuse to consider an iPhone because they don't want to be a part of 'that crowd' which in reality are just as bad.

This absolutely applies to iPhone's, with some people if you have a blue text bubble on messages you are considered to be in the club. Before iPhones were a thing you had to have a Blackberry to be considered to be 'in the club' so you could BBM all your friends all day.

is that actually reality though? as most under 35s seem to have samsungs these days. I don't know of anyone who's bought an iphone as a status symbol.

Soldato
I am under 35 and bought an iPhone because I wanted one, not really sure how a phone can be a status symbol these days? They all look similar anyway

I only have an iPhone as there were nothing as good as the 3G at the time. Never felt a need to change since then however I've never seen it as a status symbol. A house, car or even a Gucci belt can be seen as status. A phone just doesn't give me that vibe.

Maybe if you had that 'I am Rich' application

Associate
I’m all over this years iPhone after the iPhone XS Max and x prior to it, cant wait for a smaller notch and different design.

Soldato

In all of this you're assuming the people who might want to buy a more affordable iPhone now we're part of that anti-Apple pro-Android contingent. Not sure how you can know that. More likely they just couldn't or didn't want to pay more for an Apple device.

The "sheep" thing relates to the earlier days in my mind, when you had idiots camping out for 3 days before they even knew what the product contained but were ready to hand over their cash regardless.

Android is massively more dominant based on market share (if not revenue), so if anything using Android would put you in the majority with the herd :)

There are a lot of apologists on both sides but seems worse with Apple. I recalll plenty of iPhone fans saying OLED isn't better than LCD, that is until Apple started flogging them phones with OLED.

Soldato

Depends on your circle, I know the bubble colour is talked about quite a bit in the US, but in Europe WhatsApp and FB Messenger seem to rule supreme.

Soldato
I recalll plenty of iPhone fans saying OLED isn't better than LCD, that is until Apple started flogging them phones with OLED.

I know you aren't referring to this, but I remember years ago a friend at work bought one of the very first phones to have an OLED display. It was a sony something or other.

It was awful! You couldn't see the screen outside :D God, that takes me back

Associate
In all of this you're assuming the people who might want to buy a more affordable iPhone now we're part of that anti-Apple pro-Android contingent. Not sure how you can know that. More likely they just couldn't or didn't want to pay more for an Apple device.

The "sheep" thing relates to the earlier days in my mind, when you had idiots camping out for 3 days before they even knew what the product contained but were ready to hand over their cash regardless.

Android is massively more dominant based on market share (if not revenue), so if anything using Android would put you in the majority with the herd :)

There are a lot of apologists on both sides but seems worse with Apple. I recalll plenty of iPhone fans saying OLED isn't better than LCD, that is until Apple started flogging them phones with OLED.

I’d definitely say that-you’re seeing it all over the web: “Die-Hard Android user switches over to iOS/Apple-wonders why I didn’t do it sooner”. So let’s not think it hasn’t happened.

Like I said, doesn’t bother me what phone people use but it’s just been interesting to watch in recent times a lot of Android users people shift over to Apple.

Commissario
I don't understand why people want a different form factor each year - I've got a fifty quid cradle in the car and I don't want to replace it every time there's a new phone.

Deleted member 209350

D

Deleted member 209350

I don't understand why people want a different form factor each year - I've got a fifty quid cradle in the car and I don't want to replace it every time there's a new phone.

Yeah its quite weird. When the 5s boxy design changed to the 6/6s design - it became the most popular smartphone and people loved beyond imagination. But now people want to go back to the boxy 5s design?

Just weird I guess, I for one don't mind either design - I care more about internals. It is going to be a big difference for me going from a 7plus to the 12 pro max, and I don't upgrade phones all the time anyway, maybe once every 3 years before I feel i need to upgrade in which time I would have got plenty of life out of this.

Soldato
I don’t understand the constant want to upgrade to the latest and greatest every year. People keep saying phones are not status symbols...

At the end of the day developers target apps at the broadest set of customers they can which basically means anything running the latest iOS or the one before.

Soldato
People like new tech and new gadgets though, thats just the way of the world. Im as guilty of it as the next person. Most of what I need to do is covered by the kit I have but when I see something new I tend to want it. I know Im not alone with that. When I was single and had no kids I changed my phone every 5 mins because I could and there was no real monetary impact on me to do it. Now I have other things to worry about I find I can do without but I still have to talk myself out of phones, tablets and computers on a fairly regular basis. Right now I have a new phone and a new Sonos system for the living room that Im wrestling with buying along with AirPods and an Apple Watch. I don't NEED any of it!

Soldato
Yeah its quite weird. When the 5s boxy design changed to the 6/6s design - it became the most popular smartphone and people loved beyond imagination. But now people want to go back to the boxy 5s design?

Just weird I guess, I for one don't mind either design - I care more about internals. It is going to be a big difference for me going from a 7plus to the 12 pro max, and I don't upgrade phones all the time anyway, maybe once every 3 years before I feel i need to upgrade in which time I would have got plenty of life out of this.

I never liked rounded phones and the whole 2.5D crap everywhere. Bring black boxy and flat!

Soldato
I don’t understand the constant want to upgrade to the latest and greatest every year. People keep saying phones are not status symbols...

You're asking, on a tech based forum no less, why people wish to upgrade to the newest handsets every year? Because it's new technology!
I never liked rounded phones and the whole 2.5D crap everywhere. Bring black boxy and flat!

Agreed. The 5 was my favourite iPhone by a long distance. From a form factor point anyway

Back
Top Bottom