• iPhone 12

Votes: 39 13.4%
  • iPhone 12 Pro

Votes: 93 31.8%
  • iPhone 12 Pro Max

Votes: 109 37.3%

• Total voters
Soldato
Thats silly, what will they call it next year then?

I think this naming scheme is definitely much better than what it used to be with the S and R models which can get confusing.

Though I think Samsung calling it the S20 for 2020 and I assume S21 for next year is actually a better way of doing it as it keeps things much easier to follow

Well the iPads don't have numbers anymore so why would it be a problem for iPhones?

Soldato
Well the iPads don't have numbers anymore so why would it be a problem for iPhones?

iPads do have numbers, just not officially. If you're looking to buy one, you'll see iPad (2018) or iPad Pro (2019) in brackets from every retailer apart from Apple themselves. Even Macbook Air (2018) etc. Retailers have to do this so that people know what they're buying, while Apple don't need to do it because they only sell the current models in their shops. Which doesn't mean it's easy for your average consumer to figure out what they're getting.

Soldato
iPads do have numbers, just not officially. If you're looking to buy one, you'll see iPad (2018) or iPad Pro (2019) in brackets from every retailer apart from Apple themselves. Even Macbook Air (2018) etc. Retailers have to do this so that people know what they're buying, while Apple don't need to do it because they only sell the current models in their shops. Which doesn't mean it's easy for your average consumer to figure out what they're getting.

I know that, but why can’t they do iPhone (2020)?

Soldato
Do you think the standard iPhone 12 will see a screen resolution increase to 1080p?

Rumours are every iphone will soon have OLED screens as the plant making them are stopping LCDs

Knowing Apple, they'll find a way to obtain <1080p OLED but somehow do some fancy marketing to make them seem amazing (Liquid+ Retina OLED), then the pros will have (Super Liquid+ Octane120hz OLED)

The best screens on an iphone yet!

and yeah I'll buy one

Soldato
Rumours are every iphone will soon have OLED screens as the plant making them are stopping LCDs

Knowing Apple, they'll find a way to obtain <1080p OLED but somehow do some fancy marketing to make them seem amazing (Liquid+ Retina OLED), then the pros will have (Super Liquid+ Octane120hz OLED)

The best screens on an iphone yet!

and yeah I'll buy one

The pro, XS and X screens have a PPI of 458 which seems to be the sweet spot for pentile OLEDs. I’m not sure how small a screen would need to be to be below 1080p but still maintain 458 PPI.

Soldato
I've been waiting for USB-C - anything else is a bonus. These days, my purchasing decisions really boil down to "does this thing give me joy or make my life easier".

Not having to deal with different cables laying around and having a clean desk with just a USB-C hub, sounds like it will give me both of those things.

Soldato
Not sure what to think of the new SE phone,Why in 2020 is a 1334x750 deemed acceptable? i get its more budget orientated but lowing the screen would have thought that would have been far back on the item to nerf to save money.
Although i am impressed it has wireless charging,Which is usually on premium phones.

Soldato
Not sure what to think of the new SE phone,Why in 2020 is a 1334x750 deemed acceptable? i get its more budget orientated but lowing the screen would have thought that would have been far back on the item to nerf to save money.
Although i am impressed it has wireless charging,Which is usually on premium phones.

In my opinion most people don't care. If for example I asked my mum what she thought about the resolution being 1334*750, she would look at me blankly, she wouldn't even know what I was talking about and ultimately she wouldn't care :)

Heck, I won't go below 27" 1440p @ 144hz on my monitor now, and will definitely consider going 4k eventually, but I use an iPhone 7 with the same resolution as the SE, for me personally a higher resolution display on my iphone offers nothing for my usage, other people need and want higher resolution and larger displays. Horses for courses, thankfully there is a lot of choice in the smartphone world at the moment.

Soldato
The OLED screens are only higher resolution because they are pentile, LCD isn’t so you don’t need as many to get the ‘retina’ effect.

Much like 8K TVs going higher is pointless, you literally can’t see the difference unless you have the phone on the end of your nose.

Soldato
The OLED screens are only higher resolution because they are pentile, LCD isn’t so you don’t need as many to get the ‘retina’ effect.

Much like 8K TVs going higher is pointless, you literally can’t see the difference unless you have the phone on the end of your nose.

It would be interesting to calculate the sub pixels per inch of the two different screens to see if they are roughly the same figure.

Deleted member 209350

D

Deleted member 209350

The target audience is basically people who have iphones older than the 7 and who dont even know how to use one. Its for grandparents and older people who dont know anything about tech and for them this is probably fine.

I dont think a single person who's into tech would even consider buying this as their primary phone

Soldato
I dont think a single person who's into tech would even consider buying this as their primary phone

Not everyone who's into tech has a grand to drop on a phone. If you have £420 spare and it's got to be iOS, this is an excellent device. However if it was me, I'd probably try and find the extra cash for an XS, which can be (iirc) picked up for £570 - new - on sale.

Soldato
The target audience is basically people who have iphones older than the 7 and who dont even know how to use one. Its for grandparents and older people who dont know anything about tech and for them this is probably fine.

I would :D it's fine for my usage. But I have a 7, no need to upgrade for a while.

Soldato
I’ve never understood how 326ppi suddenly became unacceptable when it was the best thing since sliced bread when the iPhone 4 came out! Have our eyes improved now to where 326ppi shows pixels but previously didn’t?

The iPhone 4 was released ten years ago and shouldn't necessarily be held up as a yardstick for a 2020 phone. And anyway, is 326ppi a scientifically proven perfect number at which absolutely nobody can appreciate a higher pixel density? I'm not saying it's the wrong number for the SE (I don't think it is), but I'm not convinced that higher PPI won't benefit some people, and this is coming from someone happy with 1080p resolution.

Back
Top Bottom