iPhone 5 minor annoyance

Associate
I took delivery of my iPhone 5 yesterday, having come over from a Galaxy S. I've got to say the entire experience has blown me away - it's just so slick, smooth and solid ... an absolute joy to use.

There is however one minor annoyance that is bugging me a little bit - when I install an app from the App Store, is there any way to stop the App Store from requesting my Apple ID password every time? It's not a massive hardship and I'm sure there are good security reasons for it, but it just seems like an unnecessary step. I guess it would make sense if it was an app I was paying for, but everything I've installed so far has been free stuff like Facebook, Twitter, Evernote and Dropbox. Is there any way to stop it doing that?

Finally, does anybody know of an app that can put the phone into airplane mode overnight? I know that Do Not Disturb, to an extent, replicates the same functionality, but I like the idea of having the phone completely offline overnight, both from a no-disturbance and battery life point of view. I did have a nose around the App Store, but with no success.

Cheers in advance - just about to do my first iTunes sync now :eek:

Associate
I don't believe there is a way to schedule airplane mode as standard, if you jailbreak (when one is released that is) then there are ways. As for the apple id, if you enter it once then you won't have to re-enter it for 10-15 minutes, but that's it. I don't believe you can save it permenantly, it's just for security.

Soldato
For your second point, no, not without jailbreaking.

First point is again, no, but for 15 minutes it does 'save' it.

There should be an option to toggle this but personally I buy apps so rarely these days it doesn't matter, it probably bothers you now as your regularly add more stuff to it, but in a months time when it is an app or two a week it isn't a massive hardship.

Associate
As Concorde says, things like automating that in the background simply cannot be done with Apple's restrictions, something you might miss from Android.

For the App Store be thankful you started with iOS 6, in the past you had to put your password every time you updated too...

Associate
OP
There should be an option to toggle this but personally I buy apps so rarely these days it doesn't matter, it probably bothers you now as your regularly add more stuff to it, but in a months time when it is an app or two a week it isn't a massive hardship.

Fair point - it would be true to say I'm being a bit of an App Store whore at the moment!

Thanks for the replies fellas :)

Xee

Xee

Associate
There is however one minor annoyance that is bugging me a little bit - when I install an app from the App Store, is there any way to stop the App Store from requesting my Apple ID password every time? It's not a massive hardship and I'm sure there are good security reasons for it, but it just seems like an unnecessary step. I guess it would make sense if it was an app I was paying for, but everything I've installed so far has been free stuff like Facebook, Twitter, Evernote and Dropbox. Is there any way to stop it doing that?

Jailbreak and install PasswordPilot ;)

Associate
OP
I'd had the phone a day when I made that original post and I was trying to find iOS equivalents for all the apps and ways of working I had on my Android. It hasn't turned out to be anything like the issue I thought it would - Do Not Disturb on a daily timer has been more than sufficient or I've just put it in Airplane Mode manually.

Have learned to live with the password annoyance as well - a small price to pay for having a stable phone, after the bug-ridden nightmare that was my Android experience.

Back
Top Bottom