iPhone & Orange

Associate
I got given an iPhone 3G over the weekend that a family member no longer needed and so he let me have it. Anyway as you will all know iPhones are currently locked to O2. Also their has been recent confirmation news that Orange have struck a deal with Apple so Orange will start supplying iPhones to new customers soon. As I am on an Orange contract already and I have got some 12 months left on the contract it makes it difficult for me to be able to move to O2. I just want to know weather anyone would know if when Orange do start supplying iPhones on Orange, will Apple release a new firmware so that the sim lock is took off for the Orange network or will it not work like that? If that is how it will work then that would be better as I can stay on Orange without having to worry about moving to another network. Could anyone confirm this or is their not really any more news of how it will all work yet?

Thanks - Liam

Soldato
i would guess that it is very unlikely that they will allow you to do that

more realistic is that they will supply phones to O2 that are locked to O2 and phones to Orange that are locked to Orange

with a bit of luck the phones supplied via orange might be unlocked, but i doubt it

Associate
OP
i would guess that it is very unlikely that they will allow you to do that

more realistic is that they will supply phones to O2 that are locked to O2 and phones to Orange that are locked to Orange

with a bit of luck the phones supplied via orange might be unlocked, but i doubt it

I really wanted to stick with Orange, rather than having to get a SIM only contract with O2 (as I am already on an Orange contract) or to do something with the iPhone which is not allowed to be mentioned on here. When I first got my Nokia N95 Orange contract phone (through CPW) back in Jan 08 it came locked, but then my GF got the same phone through CPW 2 weeks later and it came unlocked, I think it was around then Orange started shipping the phones unlocked on all their contrct phones for some reason. Obviously I got my Nokia N95 just before Orange started doing this.

Liam

Last edited:
Caporegime
I really wanted to stick with Orange, rather than having to get a SIM only contract with O2 (as I am already on an Orange contract) or to do something with the iPhone which is not allowed to be mentioned on here. When I first got my Nokia N95 Orange contract phone (through CPW) back in Jan 08 it came locked, but then my GF got the same phone through CPW 2 weeks later and it came unlocked, I think it was around then Orange started shipping the phones unlocked on all their contrct phones for some reason. Obviously I got my Nokia N95 just before Orange started doing this.

Liam

The reason Orange/CPW did that was due to supply and shortage of said handsets and CPW did a deal with Orange to sell unbranded phones.

I know because I worked there when this happened. :D

Associate
OP
The reason Orange/CPW did that was due to supply and shortage of said handsets and CPW did a deal with Orange to sell unbranded phones.

I know because I worked there when this happened. :D

That explains that then lol! Yeah I did look into going down the Turbo SIM route as well but its the fiddling about with cutting the sim down so it fits puts me off, also I thought that a Turbo SIM would not fit in as well as the original sim because the iPhone SIM holder thing is very slim?

Liam

Soldato
Vodafone contract phones are unlocked, since most orange phones are network locked I do not see the fact orange getting the iphone helping you.

In future if you want an unlocked iphone, go with vodafone.

Permabanned
Vodafone contract phones are unlocked, since most orange phones are network locked I do not see the fact orange getting the iphone helping you.

In future if you want an unlocked iphone, go with vodafone.

All O2 contract phones are unlocked.... apart from the iPhone. The Vodafone one will be the same.

Caporegime
It depends I guess, on if they can be unlocked via iTunes when the Orange and Vodafone iPhones get released. It might be a case of telling iTunes what operator you are on and you end up with that software release.

Most likely however, it won't end up that way.

Associate
OP
I've just had a phone call from Orange funny enough just now. Somehow I am about due an upgrade even though I last upgraded back in early April :confused: the guy said that I am entitled to a new phone upgrade around xmas time and he confirmed Orange will start offering the iPhone in January and he put me on their list of customers for the upgrades for January.

Edit - from entering the phone number in google, apparently it is some sort of scam/other company trying to sell you a mobile contract. What I don't understand is how they knew my full name and that I was on Orange??

Liam

Last edited:
Associate
OP
Sorry to revive this thread. After a bit of reading & now that the iPhone is avaliable on Orange, I have found out that on other forums that a few iPhone 3G users locked to O2 have done a clean restore of there iPhone's to the 3.1.2 firmware in iTunes and upon SIM Activation while in iTunes after the restore they have been greeted with a SIM Carrier update & once the update has been carried out, it sucessfully Activates the iPhone and people are able to use there iPhone's on Orange! While the SIM Carrier is running it also it now supposidly alters the SIM lock so it locks the phone to Orange UK SIM cards only. I am not sure if this really works or not as I have not tried this myself but has anybody else came across this?

Liam

Soldato
I've just had a phone call from Orange funny enough just now. Somehow I am about due an upgrade even though I last upgraded back in early April :confused: the guy said that I am entitled to a new phone upgrade around xmas time and he confirmed Orange will start offering the iPhone in January and he put me on their list of customers for the upgrades for January.

Edit - from entering the phone number in google, apparently it is some sort of scam/other company trying to sell you a mobile contract. What I don't understand is how they knew my full name and that I was on Orange??

Liam

You most likely left the box unticked on the contract that allows Orange to sell your details to third parties.

Associate
OP
The announcement came out today that O2 will unlock contract phones for nothing at any point in the contract. Have fun!

Excellent - only one thing though, the iPhone was first owned by a family member of mine before he finally finished his contract with O2 and then he gave the phone to me, does this mean that he will have to fill out the details out or can I do it myself because I now own the iPhone, or will he still have to fill the details out because he used to have the O2 Pay Monthly account?

Thanks - Liam

Back
Top Bottom