iPhone - Photos & Videos - How to delete

Soldato
My OH has had a iPhone for years.
Everytime it fills up she hands it to me to take the photos and videos off it, and its torture everytime.

How the heck are you meant to do this.

If using iTunes I Synch the iPhone to the PC the Photos stay on the iPhone.
If using iTunes I clear the photos from the PC (empty folder) then resynch the photos are still on the iPhone
I've tried using Synch and no Synch. Photos still stay iPhone.
If I browse to the folder on the iPhone and cut them, they still stay on the phone
If I import them using Windows and select to delete them from iPhone they stay on the iPhone

How do you guys do it with your Windows PC's?

Last edited:
Soldato
OP
Its a bit long winded when there are 4GB of photos and it only allows you to select them in small batches.

Anyway thats how I did it eventually. Copy them to the PC then delete them from the phone itself. 3GB of photos and Videos Nov/Dec.

I much preferred how Windows Phone did this. Far better then iOS or Android.

Soldato
OP
I don't use iCloud as it kept running out of space.
I used to take them off the phone and put them into dropbox.
Maybe we should pay for iCloud and forget out it.
Can you download from iCloud (to Windows PC) easier?

I suspect she will just fill up what ever space she has.

Man of Honour
There's iCloud for Windows but I have never used it properly. I just use the web browser and grab what I need, otherwise I use the photos app on my Mac.

May be worth looking into Google photos?

Soldato
OP
I really dislike how Google Photos worked. The whole meta data tags I dislike. I like folders, organised. Dropbox works well for that, Google Photos doesn't.

I think I'll try iCloud again see if its Windows controls are the same as on the Mac.

Soldato
It's a slow process, but easiest way to delete them is to go to 'All Photos' and 'Select' - if you hold the last photo and then move towards top left photo it selects them, and then hold dragging up and it'll keep selecting as it scrolls upwards. Had to do this with 10k photos that got aded to my iPad recently. Wasn't fun.

Soldato
OP
It's a slow process, but easiest way to delete them is to go to 'All Photos' and 'Select' - if you hold the last photo and then move towards top left photo it selects them, and then hold dragging up and it'll keep selecting as it scrolls upwards. Had to do this with 10k photos that got aded to my iPad recently. Wasn't fun.

Doesn't work on her iphone. Doesn't work from Windows.

Have the same issue again. There is no way of deleting 600+ photos and media except selecting them one by one.

Joke of an OS.

Commissario
There is no way of deleting 600+ photos and media except selecting them one by one.
You're wrong. The trick is to drag to the left first and then you can scroll upwards, selecting rows at a time. It took me a couple of goes to work it out. Look at this video. I hit select, then I held my finger on the picture in the bottom right, drag my finger left where it starts selecting multiple images and then I scroll upwards. I stopped at one screen but it only takes a few seconds to scroll upwards.

I carried on after this and selected over 600 images in about twenty seconds.

Video

Soldato
OP
I stand corrected. It did work. But a real Pita. Worked about 1 in 5 times. Then had to repeat for the deleted photos.

I can see no photos in photo app or deleted. But phone storage still report about 3GB of photos on the phone. It has cleared some space but not all of it.

Commissario
It works every time when you do it as per the video, making sure you scroll left first.

If you haven't already done so, empty the 'Recently Deleted' album in Photos by tapping Select and then Delete All.

Soldato
OP
It works every time when you do it as per the video, making sure you scroll left first.

Doesn't for me selects the first one only. I have to select a good few before it seems to wake up and allow stroll selecting. Took about 10 attempts before it did it. Maybe because it's an old phone.

Deleted member 138126

D

Deleted member 138126

Guessing the fact that you're happy to be deleting all those pics is because they are mainly the typical dreck from WhatsApp? If so, just disable the option for WhatsApp to automatically put media into her photo album. Also... iCloud is *well* worth paying for, it takes away that problem and you essentially end up with a device that has a massively larger amount of space available (it deletes the local copies).

Soldato
OP
I delete them because the phone stops working when it's full.

I back then up to a hard drive first.

I'll probably have to turn on I but that's pita to get back to the pc also.

Back
Top Bottom