iPhone X upgrade to pixel 6? (Apple to Android)

Associate
I am seriously thinking of changing my phone and thinking about jumping over to android. My last android phone was a HTC sense, before I moved over to Apple with the IPhone 5s and have had several sense. To be honest I still really like the new Iphones but I just can’t justify the price of them as I do like to buy my phones outright.
I almost bought a pixel when I got my X but decided to stick the apple eco system as the whole family have them. It just made sense at the time. So here I am, planning on purchasing my next phone next month and can’t decided which way to go.
Anyone made a similar move? What have been the pros and cons of switching?

Soldato
I am seriously thinking of changing my phone and thinking about jumping over to android. My last android phone was a HTC sense, before I moved over to Apple with the IPhone 5s and have had several sense. To be honest I still really like the new Iphones but I just can’t justify the price of them as I do like to buy my phones outright.
I almost bought a pixel when I got my X but decided to stick the apple eco system as the whole family have them. It just made sense at the time. So here I am, planning on purchasing my next phone next month and can’t decided which way to go.
Anyone made a similar move? What have been the pros and cons of switching?

How tied into the ecosystem are you? Is there anything you use or rely on that's tied to Apple?

Soldato
I jumped from Apple to Android after my 5s and I've gotta say, I've been nothing but happier since ditching apple.

I felt pigeon holed into everything apple and set free once I moved over. I've also had my Huawei mate 20 for just over 3 years and it's not slowed a single bit, my battery life has also remained excellent.

The switch over was made extremely easy using my Google account back then.

After making the switch myself I've always felt astounded that so many people are so drawn to Apple given their pricing.

Associate
For the Pixel, definitely wait for reviews before buying given prior issues; other than that it's looking like a great device and with decent software support. Hardware won't be the best compared to other flagships but with the lighter OS you should get a couple years out of it.

Swapping will be personal preference. If you aren't heavily invested in Apple features then the swap should be easy enough, assuming you like Android.

I felt pigeon holed into everything apple and set free once I moved over.

Never really understood this sort of statement; it's a well integrated ecosystem but you can use other services just as easily on the hardware. Products are expensive but I've gotten more longevity out of my iPhone than any previous Android device (not that flagship Android devices are cheap).

Last edited:
Soldato
Products are expensive but I've gotten more longevity out of my iPhone than any previous Android device (not that flagship Android devices are cheap).
I think thats the one thing google are trying to address with the Pixel 6 with their promise of 3-5 years sw support. I'd say if anyone was going to make the leap to Android the Pixel 6 is a sensible choice.

Associate
OP
. Products are expensive but I've gotten more longevity out of my iPhone than any previous Android device (not that flagship Android devices are cheap).

Think the longevity is something I have always liked about IPhones and the resale value is always that much higher when time comes to move them on. My last Android phone only lasted a year before it had issues, but that was a long time ago now.

Associate
I think thats the one thing google are trying to address with the Pixel 6 with their promise of 3-5 years sw support. I'd say if anyone was going to make the leap to Android the Pixel 6 is a sensible choice.

Agreed, and it looks like they have a decent first stab at a custom chip, which is pretty embarrassing for the other Android phone manufacturers. Will be interesting to see the full reviews.

Think the longevity is something I have always liked about IPhones and the resale value is always that much higher when time comes to move them on. My last Android phone only lasted a year before it had issues, but that was a long time ago now.

Yea, I'd usually buy a mid to high-end Android device and get max 2 years out of it, so either I'm dropping 500 x 2 for 4 years of use or 1000 once off for the same lifespan. The more efficient OS and stronger custom hardware definitely helps.

Soldato
Apple have done well to keep the price of their devices high, if there wasn't the demand they couldn't do it.

I think Apple felt very restrictive years ago, there was so little you could customise on the phone, even changing the default apps and keyboard for example but is better now.

And Apple control the release cycle so much better, each ios release becomes an event and most people get it as they support for so much longer.

I've had flagship devices from Samsung and after 2 years you are on your own, which is annoying especially for tablets as they last years.

I wish Google mandated or controlled this more so there was less fragmentation. This is partly why I've decided to go for the Pixel as this will have 5 years of updates. Unlikely I'll have the phone then but they should support those that do.

Soldato
Never really understood this sort of statement; it's a well integrated ecosystem but you can use other services just as easily on the hardware. Products are expensive but I've gotten more longevity out of my iPhone than any previous Android device (not that flagship Android devices are cheap).

I'd had an iPhone since the 3 and used it a lot with iTunes, back then I experienced a lot of problems with getting my music I had purchased on iTunes to my android, though that may simply of been a user issue and may not even be the case these days, however after moving it didn't chang the way I felt about the move.

Associate
I'd had an iPhone since the 3 and used it a lot with iTunes, back then I experienced a lot of problems with getting my music I had purchased on iTunes to my android, though that may simply of been a user issue and may not even be the case these days, however after moving it didn't chang the way I felt about the move.

That's fair. I think what helps now is that you have more options, and a lot of them are cross-platform.

Associate
OP
Agreed, and it looks like they have a decent first stab at a custom chip, which is pretty embarrassing for the other Android phone manufacturers. Will be interesting to see the full reviews.

Yea, I'd usually buy a mid to high-end Android device and get max 2 years out of it, so either I'm dropping 500 x 2 for 4 years of use or 1000 once off for the same lifespan. The more efficient OS and stronger custom hardware definitely helps.

I hope that google have managed to produce a good chip for the pixel series and that it will give apple something to think about.
I like to buy a flagship model and keep them for at least 4 years. It also makes good financial sense, considering the prices these days. I don’t understand why people feel the need to change their phone every year now, tech has come along way sense the old Nokia 5110 when we all use to update yearly.

Associate
I hope that google have managed to produce a good chip for the pixel series and that it will give apple something to think about.
I like to buy a flagship model and keep them for at least 4 years. It also makes good financial sense, considering the prices these days. I don’t understand why people feel the need to change their phone every year now, tech has come along way sense the old Nokia 5110 when we all use to update yearly.

I upgrade my phone yearly because i can. that and i like to have the latest and greatest. No other reason really. i cant sugar coat it. do i need to upgrade yearly?...nope. but i don't drink i vape now instead of smoking i don't go out much.
That and i love new phone delivery day lol.
And people saying about the resale value of iPhones. where i live year on year iPhones second-hand at least where I live are getting cheaper and cheaper. They do not hold the value as they once did.

Associate
OP
I upgrade my phone yearly because i can. that and i like to have the latest and greatest. No other reason really. i cant sugar coat it. do i need to upgrade yearly?...nope. but i don't drink i vape now instead of smoking i don't go out much.
That and i love new phone delivery day lol.
And people saying about the resale value of iPhones. where i live year on year iPhones second-hand at least where I live are getting cheaper and cheaper. They do not hold the value as they once did.
That’s interesting, Around here IPhones still sell for a higher amount compared to other brands of the same generation.

Associate
That’s interesting, Around here IPhones still sell for a higher amount compared to other brands of the same generation.

Does that include the time when apple release new phones ?. in my area both marketplace and local sellers upgrading just want to get rid of and let them by the look of it and let them go far cheaper. That being said it is around release cycles. The market is flooded with them. and because there are so many I suppose people just want to get rid of theirs.

Associate
The switch isn’t that bad if you predominantly use Google services-I can transition back and forth between Apple and Android relative ease because of this.

Only issue really is with WhatsApp but that looks to be sorting itself out soon enough.

There will be a readjustment naturally but the Pixel experience is as close to the iPhone experience as you’re going to get. It would be the only Android phone I’d recommend anyone getting tbh.

Get it and have some fun!

Associate
Hey, personally you won't even miss it, well I didn't. I went from IPhone 5s to 6s to iPhone X then sold the X and got the Huawei P20 Pro and then to a Pixel 5, just now Purchased the Pixel 6 Pro 128GB Black from the pixel store.

Basically I pay for my phone's outright too, the 6s was my favourite iPhone, I gave up with them with the X as it cost 1 British grand for only 64gb for the smallest one. Yet for the P20 Pro it cost me £ 750 or maybe £800 for 128GB and fairly similar specs, but I think I got a deal back in 2018, I love my Pixel 5 but fancy a bigger screen this time.

Back
Top Bottom