iphone3g still a good option?

Soldato
Hey all, just thinking about a new phone soon, O2 said i can uprade in a few months, but always have the option of paying off a few months if i did want to in order o hurry it along, currently have an N95 8GB, I really like the phone, but having played around with my gf's brother's ipod touch, I do like the idea of the iphone, I'll get used to touchscreen typing in time, is the iphone still a good optin for whats out there? Or anything much else come along? I've not really looked at phones in a while, so not sure whats out there, but the apps on it do look both good and fun, lots of useful stuff and lots of messing around crap! :)

No sure how good the battery life etc.. is, but any thoughts on it as a nice upgrade?

Cheers

Associate
I bought mine in February and still love using it, it's the best gadget I've bought for a long time. I think it's safe to say that there are better phones out there with more features (I was torn between this or the Touch HD) but the slick way in which it all just 'works' on the iPhone is what won me over.
Although, there are rumours that a new phone will be released to coincide with the firmware update that's expected in June/July so it could be worth letting your contract run it's course so that you can pick up the brand new one.

Associate
I bought mine in February and still love using it, it's the best gadget I've bought for a long time. I think it's safe to say that there are better phones out there with more features (I was torn between this or the Touch HD) but the slick way in which it all just 'works' on the iPhone is what won me over.
Although, there are rumours that a new phone will be released to coincide with the firmware update that's expected in June/July so it could be worth letting your contract run it's course so that you can pick up the brand new one.

do you have any ideas on how much the new ones might cost, rumours are that there will be a 32gb version! hoping it will be under 400 for Pay as you go.

JKD

JKD

Associate
Hmm, I quite fancy one of the present generation of 3g iPhones myself. Anyone got one unlocked and running it on Vodafone (I still have a few months of my £45 a month contract left and I'd rather get PAYG iPhone, unlock it and run it on Voda).

Cheers.

Soldato
OP
One thought I have had right now, is to buy a PAYG iphone 3g, and use it on my current contract, if a new iphone does come out and gets rave reviews, I can then "upgrade" my contract to that in jan/feb time when the price will have some down a bit, and still sell the 3g for a few hundred quid :)

Not too shabby an idea...hmm....

Soldato
I work for Vodafone, bought a 3g iPhone from an O2 store on PAYG. Upgraded to the 2.2 firmware, and using information available online software unlocked it and it now takes my Vodafone chip without an issues.

I believe the current firmware version on the iPhone 3G is 2.2.1 though, which as far as I am aware there is no current unlock software for - so it may be worth you holding fire on this until said software is released.

Its very easy to change the settings around so that the web browser and other toys will continue to function, and it runs like a dream.

Working with phones all day, its nice to have a personal phone that I dont sell and dont spend half my day dealing with queries about them1

Associate
Same boat here , anyone know if prices going down soon? think it was "news" couple weeks ago

EDIT: 3rd April prices have gone "down"

Last edited:
Soldato
OP
Yeesh! not good then! lol

Think I will go for the PAYG option then use my "upgrade" at a later date if anything newer comes out then! Not much out there that tickles me atm!

Soldato
OP
Yeah, i'll hold out to see what rumours surface, but it'll be out of range of what I want to pay on contract for a start for sure, and not even out on PAYG to use with a contract til about November in time for a christmas rush I bet, so might end up opting for a 3g around my birthday time, also if I buy an iphone3g online from work (School) I should be able to get a 15% education domain discount :D

JKD

JKD

Associate
Well I took the plunge a couple of days back. Bought a PAYG iPhone. It had absolutely terrible 3g reception and was always using GPRS, so it went back for another this morning. The new one had very slightly better 3g reception, but the wi-fi chip was fried. I got my money back as I couldn't take another couple of hours troubleshooting!!

Glad I tried it, frustratingly I quite liked the phone as well - even more frustrating was the reliability and of course I knew I couldn't send MMS, but it really bugged me in the end. I'll see what the new ones are like when they come out - but to be honest this has rocked my confidence in iPhones.

Permabanned
The highest praise I can give my iPhone is it drives me to distraction with it's problems but it recently went back to have to O2 to have the head socket sorted out so I had to use my old N95 and it drove me bloody insane, couldn't wait to get my iPhone back.

So as much as it annoys I couldn't have any other phone.

AGD

AGD

Soldato
The highest praise I can give my iPhone is it drives me to distraction with it's problems but it recently went back to have to O2 to have the head socket sorted out so I had to use my old N95 and it drove me bloody insane, couldn't wait to get my iPhone back.

So as much as it annoys I couldn't have any other phone.

Don't listen to him - he only has 1 post, he's clearly not an expert! :p

Helloo to you TruBlu (only if that means you're a chelsea fan) ;)

Back
Top Bottom