Ips and VA on my desk now.. Can't decide!

Caporegime
I'm sat here with a lg 34gk950f (ips) and a benq EX3501R (VA)

And I was fairly sure I was going to keep the benq. Its 1 inch bigger.

But despite having a better contrast ratio,it seems to have this permanent grey background.

Its almost like a uniform 'glow' which the LG doesn't have

This is the VA , hitting the black levels
Z2stPop.jpg

Vs the ips
w3MU39o.jpg

Associate
It doesn't look like the backlights are set at similar levels at all.
On the IPS image, nothing below 11 seems to stand out from the background whereas all of them do on the VA.

Have you tweaked them to the suggested levels on that website?

Caporegime
OP
It doesn't look like the backlights are set at similar levels at all.
On the IPS image, nothing below 11 seems to stand out from the background whereas all of them do on the VA.

Have you tweaked them to the suggested levels on that website?

By back light you mean brightness right?

They are set to similar levels when looking by eye.

I believe the VAs do have much better contrast levels though right? Isn't that what I'm seeing there?

Associate
Contrast is the difference in light levels between the blackest & whitest the screen can produce. It shouldn't be the difference between seeing gradients between the darkest & lightest.

Having a quick look at the website guidance, you need to set the brightness so that square 1 is just visible against the background, with the rest getting brighter in stages.
What you would then see is that the VA panel (if it indeed has the better measured contrast ratio) would have a brighter / whiter white.

When you talk about a permanent grey background, is that the greyish bar at the top? Or the black surrounding the squares? If the grey bar at the top, it is supposed to be a different colour (looking at the website myself).

Set the IPS panel backlight so that square 1 is just visible, and that will give you a more realistic comparison.

Caporegime
OP
OK, so I now have what you suggested. I've not actually touched anything. Now the ips looks like the VA.

I don't know what this shine across the VA is. I just can't shift it

Soldato
Every IPS I have owned always has light bleed, hence I no longer buy them. I think you are seeing clouding on the benq, but then again I don't see them as a very good brand.

Associate
Can you describe the 'shine'?
In that last pic, the blacks on the right screen look darker, but this could be just a trick of the photo. You should just trust your eyes.
The size difference is insignificant.

Caporegime
OP
It's hard to describe.
It's not the colours it's more like there glare from on the surface. But there isn't as it was a dark room last night.

I've never seen it before.

I think the VA panel is fine. The colours are different. But I'd never know without side by side comparison

The ips has the usual ips corner glow. One corner is nasty

The VA has clouding or BLB.

Actually I don't know if I can live with either of these two monitors

Basically colour is ok, panel uniformity isn't.

Tempted to send both back and get a better VA. I thought VA would have worse colours but it's much less than what I thought.

Associate
It might be the surface treatment of the VA.
Other than that, I'm not sure.

I think VA v IPS pro's & con's are so panel specific that buying based on technology can be tricky.
At the budget end, the IPS screen I was looking at is said to have lower colour accuracy than a VA of a similar price. As such I went with VA.
Though IPS seems to be a clear winner at most price points in pixel transition / lack of ghosting due to inherent nature of the tech (assuming similar response / refresh).

Caporegime
OP
Think I'm going to go with the benq.
They both have issues

The light monitor alone is really useful on the benq now in using it for work I never have to touch the brightness through the day.
It's 200 pounds difference and I don't think the ips is 200 pounds better .

I could put that towards the benq 32 4k IPS as my second screen for photography

Caporegime
What abut viewing angles? Is the VA much worse, something that always does my head in is even when slightly of axis, you can just see terrible contrast shift.

Back
Top Bottom