IPS monitor + TN monitor?

Soldato
Hey guys,

I have now posted various threads, trying to decide which monitor/s to purchase. I came to the conclusion yesterday that I am probably just going to buy one LG W2363D monitor. I was originally going to buy dual IPS monitors but I am too worried about problems with games.

So my question is, what is the best combination of IPS and TN monitor? Like I said, I was thinking of the W2363D as the TN, but I am open to suggestions. My main worry is them looking too different to each other. So ones as similar as possible (obviously physical looks).

So what do you guys think?

Many thanks :D

Caporegime

It would seem not.

I would imagine the images of different monitors with different panel technologies are going to look quite, how can I put it, different.

You may get them fairly close with proper calibration but I'd say you'll always notice the difference.

Last edited:
Soldato
If you want a IPS monitor to match the W2363D, then I would go with a Dell U2311H/U2312HM or ASUS ML239H.

This isn't to say the pictures will match (to get the best chance of that you will need to invest in a hardware colour calibrator), but they are the same size and resolution so they will sit well together on a desk.

However, if you do go down this road - make sure you keep the boxes and work with a company with a good returns policy as I strongly suspect one of them will be going back when you have them sitting next to each other (my money is on the 120Hz TN, but that's just my preference for IPS - even for gaming).

Soldato
You can always just buy a pair of IPS displays and send them back if you aren't happy with them, that's the beauty of the distance selling regulations. Of course if you buy them in a shot then there is a fairly good chance you wont be able to this unless they have a no quibble returns policy.

Soldato
OP
Thanks for all of the responses. I like the look of the Asus one to go with the W2363D monitor. However from basically all of your responses it sounds like you guys think I should still get IPS monitor. I am just worried about gaming on an IPS!

What do you guys think to the U2312HM? From what I have heard people seem to be having a buzzing problem with it.

Thanks

Soldato
Trust me mate, IPS for gaming is a no go.

I'd have to disagree - I have played games on TN, VA and IPS and you can play games very well on IPS monitors in my experience. They aren't ideal for competitive FPS gaming (where better response time and zero input lag means you do better), but for less fast-paced online games and single player games the modern E-IPS panels are excellent.

Soldato
OP
Hey guys, thanks for your responses. Gaming is something I won't be doing all the time, but when I am gaming it will be all genres. FPS games are one of my favourites as well. So could IPS be too slow?

Associate
You said in the other thread that your priority was gaming, you should definitely go with the 120hz and ips combo you were planning on, or if you're just getting one screen go with 120hz.

for less fast-paced online games and single player games the modern E-IPS panels are excellent

I'd use the word "acceptable" there rather than "excellent" but everyone has their own opinion :D

Associate
I used to play on a Dell 2209WA which worked quite well. I am not a hardcore-gamer, but good enough to notice that the internet connection (16 mbit dsl) was causing more lags than my screen while playing BF2 online.

Soldato
I've never had a problem with gaming on an IPS display myself, well I've had 4 over the years and 1 pva and 6 TN displays, the only one ever to give me really noticeable issues was a 19" Samsung TN I had about 8 years ago. I used to play CS quite competitively back then ...for the last 6 years or so though I admit I have played mostly much lower paced stuff.

I suppose it's really down to the individual to see weather they notice anything or not, personally I don't.

Last edited:
Soldato
I've got both and they're both fine as far as I'm concerned, just better at different things. It really depends on what level you're playing at. If it's BF2/3/COD then I can't see it making much difference as you spend most of your time iron sighting someone from behind a crate/barrel anyway. Quake 3 Arena or something skill based then yes it probably will help to go 120hz.

Associate
If it's BF2/3/COD then I can't see it making much difference as you spend most of your time iron sighting someone from behind a crate/barrel anyway.

:o You do? If you're a camper you do.

I've had the best IPS monitor you can get for gaming, the Fujitsu P24W-6.

http://translate.google.com/transla...tsu-p24w-6-ips-teil16.html#Latenzzeit&act=url

Very low input lag but it had to go back, the difference between IPS and a 120hz TN panel for gaming was staggering.

To clarify, if you play nothing but MMOs or games like that then IPS is fine. Fine, not excellent.

IPS has it's strengths and it's weaknesses the same as any panel tech. I would never ever recommend an IPS for gaming.

Soldato
I'm sorry but that's just not true. There is a difference, of course, the lack of blurring when turning quickly, the lack of tearing without v-sync, but in it's place you've got horrible colours (or lack of them) and banding in gradients. The responsiveness is noticeably better but not great enough to be "staggering".

Soldato
...but in it's place you've got horrible colours (or lack of them) and banding in gradients.

That is also 'just not true' - or at least, as much of an 'exaggeration' as the comments you were retorting to regarding 120Hz. The colours are not horrible at all on a decent TN panel (even if they are inconsistent) and banding in gradients is not necessarily going to be more of a problem than with an E-IPS panel. You are, after all, comparing monitors which all have 6-bits per subpixel colour support. Monitors with such an 'arrangement' will either show banding and dithering (or both) but it can be very well 'hidden' these days (on both TN and IPS technology). That's exactly why many people were shocked to learn that E-IPS panels were using Frame Rate Control to achieve their full colour depth.

I agree with Arcane in that the majority of people are comfortable to game on a responsive E-IPS monitor just as they would a moderately responsive TN panel. In practice a lot of modern IPS panels actually handle their pixel responsiveness better in many scenarios than some 2ms-rated TN panels (relatively poor ones, granted). There is also no disputing that 120Hz TN panel monitors have an extra edge in responsiveness. Whether or not somebody is really able to appreciate this is dependent on their sensitivity to such things and also whether their system can actually make the most out of such a monitor. You will always get divergent opinions on the matter and often people will make their points quite strongly either way.

Last edited:
Associate
Yeah, it's all about making compromises at the minute, it's all down to you what you consider the most important and what you're willing to compromise.
If they make a monitor with fantastic viewing angles, fantastic colours, no banding, 0ms input lag, 0ms response time, obviously I'm snapping it up :D
Oh, and 16:10 too please, thankyou :D

I'm sorry but that's just not true. There is a difference, of course, the lack of blurring when turning quickly, the lack of tearing without v-sync, but in it's place you've got horrible colours (or lack of them) and banding in gradients. The responsiveness is noticeably better but not great enough to be "staggering".

I'm not just just talking about the responsiveness.
You put a 60hz ips panel next to a decent 120hz tn both playing an fps and tell me that the difference isn't immense.
The difference IS night and day. It's like putting a CRT next to regular 60hz monitor. Ask any average Joe off the street which they prefer and they'd go for the 120hz monitor every time.
Put on some game, I don't know, like a fight in kings bounty where there's no scrolling and little movement and they'd no doubt pick the IPS.
I just keep seeing people recommending IPS panels when people clearly state that it's for gaming.

Last edited:
Soldato
Trust me mate, IPS for gaming is a no go.
120Hz TN may be better for pro gamers, but most regular gamers will be happy with an IPS panel.

And as PCM2 says some colour transitions are quicker on an IPS vs the quickest TN. The last screen I had was a TN (not 120Hz) and if you ever had black and grey together, there were visible trails, I never get that on any of my IPS screens.

Also colours matter to gamers as well, no one wants the top quarter of their screen to be 30% darker than the middle, and the bottom third to start washing out, and that's what you get with TN. Not to mention constantly having to adjust the tilt every time you move your head.

As a whole package, taking everything into account, the IPS I have now is many times better than my last TN screen. I've played a ton of games (including fast FPS games) on IPS screens over the last 5 years and never had a problem gaming on them. I hated gaming on the TN, to the point where I had to keep my CRT.

Back
Top Bottom