Iranian hackers crack Windows Vista, sell it on street for $8 a copy

Soldato
Iranian hackers crack Windows Vista, sell it on street for $8 a copy

All the effort Microsoft has put into making sure this Windows would be the most secure ever appear to be somewhat in vain. Iranian hackers, operating through a legitimate software firm, have gotten past all of Microsoft's "anti-copying tricks". These hackers claim they will sell these illegitimate copies of Windows Vista through the firm they work for at approximately $8 USD a copy. What's really interesting, though, is how they managed to give each pirated copy of Vista it's own serial number, so that they can register it through Microsoft as a legal copy of Windows Vista.

Source: http://www.taliyanews.com/en/archive/2007/02/iranian_hackers_possess_window.php

http://forums.techpowerup.com/showthread.php?t=24974

taken from

http://www.xtremesystems.org/forums/showthread.php?t=132840

Soldato
eracer2006 said:
Only a matter of time untill this happened.

why youd want to buy vista at all untill atleast service pack 2 I dont understand. Buggy as hell!

Its actually rock solid tbh, its the drivers that are flaky :rolleyes:

Soldato
Amazing how copy protection schemes only seem to inconvenience genuine users (activation etc.) and seem to do absolutely zilch to inconvenience pirates. :mad:

No wonder Apple doesn't even bother trying. MS go to all this effort with activations and paying out for call centres etc. and it does nothing to stop people getting their hands on iffy copies.

Soldato
bfar said:

Very true. Creative in particular have done a very poor job. I've been using my z10's with the USB sound only since Vista was released.

Associate
bfar said:

I am running 64bit vista and its super smooth after applying tweaks from tweakvista.com and tweakxp.com

as you stated its not buggy, its the drivers. 100% agree. ;)

Associate
Is it not always the case that dodgy drivers make an OS unstable? I mean if you installed xp with no service packs and just cruised around the OS I am sure it would not lock up and crash :confused:

Soldato
No matter how much effort M$ go too with all this activation rubbish, theres always someone somewhere, who will put just as much effort into cracking it.

TC1

TC1

Permabanned
Vista is fine, it is the drivers etc that cause the problems. Being in a Uni i have seen some Vista 'Fully' cracked copies! Microsoft try to stop this but they have no chance really. As has been said, it is we who get Vista that have the problems with activation etc etc.

Soldato
It's an industry wide problem TBH, look at how long it took the hackers to crack the security for BlueRay and HD-DVD, if you can write it in sure as hell somebody can write it back out!

HEADRAT

Soldato
Got to laugh, me personally wouldn't give MS a penny anyway, whatever they release is full of bugs, unstable when adding other stuff and overpriced and needs constant updates to fix things.

Soldato
HEADRAT said:
It's an industry wide problem TBH, look at how long it took the hackers to crack the security for BlueRay and HD-DVD, if you can write it in sure as hell somebody can write it back out!

HEADRAT

AACS as been cracked? Since when? :eek: :D

Associate
McManicMan said:
Got to laugh, me personally wouldn't give MS a penny anyway, whatever they release is full of bugs, unstable when adding other stuff and overpriced and needs constant updates to fix things.

I don't mind paying for quality and for the first time in many releases, MS have got something good with Vista, just wish the sloppy hardware manufacturers would catch up and give us some decent drivers to make the most of it.

TC1

TC1

Permabanned
REDD555 said:
I don't mind paying for quality and for the first time in many releases, MS have got something good with Vista, just wish the sloppy hardware manufacturers would catch up and give us some decent drivers to make the most of it.

Exactly. They knew that Vista was coming out so they should have been more prepared.

Back
Top Bottom