iriver h10 20gb use as external hdd?

Associate
I thought the UMS trick was possible with this but now I see that only applies to the 5/6gb versions.
I downloaded something called easyh10 but I can't seem to use it as the player will not show up as an external hdd even though it says on their site that you can use it with international versions.
So I thought about updating it to US firmware but it seems I need Iriver plus for this which is only for the 5gb?

I just want to drag and drop lol.

ok worked it out now. :)

Last edited:
Associate
hmm i'd also be interested to have an answer to this. I've got an iRiver H320 and for testing an OS i'd reeally like to know if i can use this as a USB hard drive to install Windows on.

The question is...can it be done by simply plugging it into the USB and windows setup detecting it?

..and also by formatting the drive not through the player itself does it erase the software that is used for playing mp3's, viewing pictures etc.

I havnt tried anything yet but i'd really like to know how to use my H320 as a windows hard drive with booting capabilities.

Associate
OP
Not sure about the 320 but the UMS trick for the H10 20gb is to press the reset button then hold the 'O' button, connect the usb and power on and let go of the 'O' button when you see 'energency device'.
It then shows up in Windows as a UMS or external hdd.

Try Googling UMS trick H320?

Now I want to upgrade mine to the US firmware so I don't have to do this in order to drag and drop but it says to use iriver plus but the 'upgrade firmware' option is greyed out?
Could I just chance it and manually upgrade to the US firmware, it says not to in red text so I am scared!

Associate
OP
No worries it keeps it nice and tidy :)
Now I know the UMS trick I can work out the other stuff later. I got this 'used' from a well known on-line bookstore and it seems new to me.
It will be nice to have a bit more capacity than the 512mb I have been using lol.
Thanks for the link JM :)

Soldato
james.miller said:
take a look on http://www.misticriver.net/forums.php. all you're questions will be answered there. if i were you, id think about getting rockbox on there as well.

btw for the 20gb, you have to insert something into the reset button hole while plugging the usb lead, with the button held turn it on.

I put rockbox on it a while back, but it was very buggy. Apparently theres not a full working version for the h10 yet? :confused:

Associate
OP
Finding Rockbox a bit hard to suss out atm but I can see it will be very cool when I do. :)

edit
Got Rockbox sorted now and dual boot too, I love this player. Not convenient having to do the UMS trick but no big deal really.

Last edited:
Associate
OP
I must admit I haven't got any decent earphones but I love Rockbox for it's configurability. I even have album art working, it is a bit buggy but using Blackglass WPS it is working OK at the moment. I am just waiting until I can make my ipod owning friend jealous lol.
I really would have liked a Zen vision M but I got this for half the price of a Zen, I don't need video but I would have liked the extra 10gb. The Zen also looks a lot smaller, this is a bit of a brick.
I am very happy with the H10 though. :)

Back
Top Bottom