Iron Fist on Netflix

Soldato
I'm still looking forward to watching it. If it's really terrible then I'll probably not see it through, but i suspect a lot of the bad press is down to this "racism" bandwagon that's being boarded en-masse. It doesn't interest me. In fact, it bores me.

Associate
I'm still looking forward to watching it. If it's really terrible then I'll probably not see it through, but i suspect a lot of the bad press is down to this "racism" bandwagon that's being boarded en-masse. It doesn't interest me. In fact, it bores me.

Unfortunately the reviews are pretty consistent that it's really quite boring - that's based on the first 6 episodes

https://www.rottentomatoes.com/tv/marvel_s_iron_fist/s01/reviews/

Finn Jones twitter ramblings seem to be the most interesting thing about the whole affair so far :D

Soldato
OP
I'm prepared to reserve judgement. I actually quite liked Jessica Jones, though that was probably influenced by David Tennant playing The Purple Man.

Permabanned
Daredevil > Luke Cage > > > > > > > > > > > > > Jessica Jones

Pretty much hated Tennant in Jones, rubbish actor. Jones was pretty rubbish too. :) (Soundtrack for Luke Cage was great :p)

Anything with martial arts in gets my vote. This looks ok. :)

fez

fez

Caporegime
What do people think of DCs Legends of tomorrow. I genuinely couldn't watch it past a few episodes because it was so bad. That seems to chugging along nicely. Same with the flash. Entire premise seems ridiculous and badly executed.

Don
Same for me RE: Legends.

I've just watched the first episode of Iron First, there's nothing new or exciting to interest me about it. You have your hero and some pretty weak reveals this early into the series (I predicted the scene with that guy, and the closing scene).

The "martial arts" hero has been done to death now, and it doesn't have the same finesse that Dare Devil has. I know Ironfist is a much bigger character in the comics, I guess we'll see where the series goes.

Caporegime
Binge fest of Iron Fist, not at all impressed. Mostly watching as I'm knackered after a long day gardening. It badly badly suffers from the, this wouldn't be happening if they just did the sensible thing and acted like normal human beings problems. Everything they do is so monumentally stupid.

I love Marvel stuff, all Marvel stuff but this is starting to worry me when two days before the release you have it's star defending it on all sides, starting with the usual "don't worry that critics don't like it, its for the fans" before ending with stuff like:

Wow, that whole quote is embarrassing, sure people can't get behind the show because Trump became president. No one is watching it going, I hate that guy because he was born a billionaire, he's also the opposite kind of billionaire acting precisely nothing like Trump. It's a none issue, the acting isn't very good, the story is pretty stupid, almost every decision every character makes is utterly absurd and honestly the action is bad in large part because he looks like a huge dandy when he's fighting for the most part.

Kyo

Kyo

Soldato
Watched the first episode and absolutely loved it, not sure what all the negativity is about yet but, Tekken - iron fist is one of my favourite characters.

Soldato
2 episodes for us, so far, so better than Luke Cage and Jessica Jones, starting to wonder if the whole issue with the show is some PC bull.
The idea that Luke Cage was likened to the wire was clearly bull based on the fact that some main characters were black.

Moaning about ironfist so far seems centred on some serious racist premises in their own right so far.

Kyo

Kyo

Soldato
2 episodes for us, so far, so better than Luke Cage and Jessica Jones, starting to wonder if the whole issue with the show is some PC bull.
The idea that Luke Cage was likened to the wire was clearly bull based on the fact that some main characters were black.

Moaning about ironfist so far seems centred on some serious racist premises in their own right so far.

Yeah heard the show got accused of white washing or something daft like that. Danny Rand had always been white since the 70's. So doing a Wally West and making him black or Asian etc for the sake of it, is completely stupid.

It definitely better than Jessica and Luke. It second behind DD imo.

Soldato
Yeah heard the show got accused of white washing or something daft like that. Danny Rand had always been white since the 70's. So doing a Wally West and making him black or Asian etc for the sake of it, is completely stupid.

It definitely better than Jessica and Luke. It second behind DD imo.

Well the reviewers had seen 6 episodes and we're only up to 2, so it may all go south, but so far I feel for finn jones and the lambasting the reviewers gave.

Caporegime
lol, the moaning about Iron First is based on racist premises? Really, not the bad acting from the lead, the him acting like a petulant child throughout. The constant utter clichéd writing at every single turn. The massive reliance on, this only works if they automatically do the dumbest thing possible in any situation.

The worst thing is the action, even more over the top, guy standing there, could go and punch him but he decides to do an elaborate spinning 4 times in the air move then clearly miss the kick yet the guy flies backwards crap. Daredevil has a fair amount of that but still the action was done better. This has so many badly done fights, missed punches, ridiculous over the top moves for no reason. Also the absolutely convenient inability to fight beyond second grade slapstick level when the plot calls for it.

The lead isn't as bad as the writing is painful, but his derpy look when he's trying to show any emotion as well as the really weak look as he's throwing punches and the like. He doesn't look nor act strong at all.

Soldato
OP
I've not had a lot of time to watch thanks to late shifts this week, but I've managed to squeeze in the first two episodes. So far I'm liking it.

Tomorrow I have the day off work so I'm planning to get through as many episodes as possible in one go.

Soldato
lol, the moaning about Iron First is based on racist premises? Really, not the bad acting from the lead, the him acting like a petulant child throughout. The constant utter clichéd writing at every single turn. The massive reliance on, this only works if they automatically do the dumbest thing possible in any situation.

The worst thing is the action, even more over the top, guy standing there, could go and punch him but he decides to do an elaborate spinning 4 times in the air move then clearly miss the kick yet the guy flies backwards crap. Daredevil has a fair amount of that but still the action was done better. This has so many badly done fights, missed punches, ridiculous over the top moves for no reason. Also the absolutely convenient inability to fight beyond second grade slapstick level when the plot calls for it.

The lead isn't as bad as the writing is painful, but his derpy look when he's trying to show any emotion as well as the really weak look as he's throwing punches and the like. He doesn't look nor act strong at all.

I kinda agree. There was a great show here, but the quality isn't quite there. Compared to Daredevil, the writing isn't as good, the cinematography isn't as good, the fight seems aren't as good, the actors aren't giving performances on anything like the same level. It just doesn't compete.

It doesn't suffer so badly against the other two Netflix shows though IMO. I thought Luke Cage was sublime up until episode 7, where it started to tank. The last couple of episodes were dire. Jessica Jones, on the other hand, plain sucked. Maybe five episodes of content drawn out over 13, resulting in a snorefest that was only interrupted by David Tennant's decent turn as the Purple Man. I think I'd place Luke Cage second, Iron Fist third at the moment; Cage ended badly, but at its height it was the better show.

It only takes a cursory glance to see that Iron Fist is getting more than a little undue stick for not recasting the lead as Asian though. It's not the only criticism it's receiving, but it's certainly the most unfair. It started off as a fairly reasonable "It would have been nice to see them cast an Asian lead" and has snowballed from there. Now, not changing Danny Rand's ethnicity is cultural appropriation, a demonstration of the 'white saviour' or 'mighty whighty' trope. It, apparently, is less offensive to retcon the story to keep matters of culture and race in neat little boxes, where everyone respects (and abides by) normal stereotypes. Transcending cultures is racist, but only if you're a white male.

It's quite tragic really. I agree that it might have been a nice opportunity to cast an East-Asian actor in to a lead role in a Marvel project. But the opportunity wasn't taken up. There's was no need for the debate over that decision to descend into a farce.

Last edited:
Back
Top Bottom