Ironbridge power station demolition

Dup

Dup

Soldato
When I was very small I went with my dad to watch them demolish Padiham power station and I remember the towers dropping just like that. He took a load of photos but I think they've long been lost :(.
Goodmemories, thanks for sharing :)

Soldato
Great footage and a shame to see the cooling towers go. I've done some rowing on the river that runs alongside (a "team building" thing over several weeks in conjunction with the rowing club) and you definitely couldn't help but notice them!

Soldato
Did a few jobs at the Ironbridge power station before I retired - Also I think the father of the builders who put my extension up was on the construction of the towers.

Shame to see them go but times are always changing.

Soldato
OP
That's awesome thanks for posting.

When I was very small I went with my dad to watch them demolish Padiham power station and I remember the towers dropping just like that. He took a load of photos but I think they've long been lost :(.
Goodmemories, thanks for sharing :)

My pleasure :D

Ohh wow,gonna be strange to see those gone,I bet the locals loved it

They will certainly be missed, They have been up since Telford was created so locals have never known any different.

I assume this is your own footage - how far away and what altitude were you at?

Drone was 1km away and 115m alt.

Presume that was outside the no fly zone ;)

By quite a margin, Several NOTAM's were in place at the time of demolition and a crew who were flying not far from me provided the footage for ITV news and the local paper. They flew a fair bit closer and you can actually see their drone in my footage at 0m:55s heading towards the tall remaining chimney from the right :p

Caporegime
Damn, that's spectacular! I love Ironbridge, it was one of my favourite holiday destinations when I lived in the UK. Some great B&Bs there, and the town itself is just gorgeous.

Feels so strange to see the power station go down.

Soldato
In a few years all of the 500 and 660 coal stations will be gone and demolished. I really think we ought to have saved one as a museum. They are quite majestic pieces of engineering. A large steam turbine or generator is an amazing piece of equipment and so few know what it takes to make electricity.

Soldato
I live close to the towers and could see them on my dog walks will be weird them not being there. Was a hell of a bang when they went down confused the dog no end.... lol

Soldato
We used to go walking and mountain biking around the trails of that area of Ironbridge. Beuatiful around there and they were always spectacular to see. As PlacidCasual said above, some should be saved for museum, and with Irondbridge's Heritage regards industry, these should have been the ones. Hence I completely disagree with their demolition.

Caporegime
In a few years all of the 500 and 660 coal stations will be gone and demolished. I really think we ought to have saved one as a museum. They are quite majestic pieces of engineering. A large steam turbine or generator is an amazing piece of equipment and so few know what it takes to make electricity.

PlacidCasual in sensible comment shocker.

:)

Back
Top Bottom