• Competitor rules

Please remember that any mention of competitors, hinting at competitors or offering to provide details of competitors will result in an account suspension. The full rules can be found under the 'Terms and Rules' link in the bottom right corner of your screen. Just don't mention competitors in any way, shape or form and you'll be OK.

Is 16GB of Vram The Standard For High End Graphic Cards?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Soldato
Officially least sunny location -Ronskistats
Oh god, here we go again. I bet you have a 3080 :D.

12gb minimum for 4k gaming

:cry: Yep, few of them about. ;)

In fairness 2020 if you got one it was OK as long as you were not the type to hang on to a GPU for 4+ years. However as the question I am assuming implies buying brand new right now, I would not be purchasing a card like the 3080 so close to 40 series release (where you will likely see more VRAM even on the 4070 sku).

Caporegime
Oh look another "vram" thread...

*grabs popcorn*

:cry:

Depends entirely on Res. and settings and rasterisation or ray tracing scenarios....

Grunt and vram go hand in hand as has been evidenced throughout several threads now.... Essentially no point having 16gb vram if they don't have the grunt in the first place as we have seen in several ray tracing titles now and likewise no point having the grunt and too little vram as we have seen with the 3070 8gb vram in a couple of games/scenarios at 4k (but as many have stated before, 3070 was never really a proper 4k card....)

Given the 40xx series is right around the corner and a 4060/4070 is likely going to match and beat a 3090 for a considerably cheaper price, I certainly wouldn't be buying any RDNA 2 or ampere GPUs now, just look at what happened with the 3070 upon release and the 2080ti situation ;) :cry:

Soldato
16Gb should be the standard for high end cards.

The 3080 only has 10Gb which prevents its 8704 CUDA cores from fully stretching their legs. Then the 3090 is the opposite because it doesn't have enough CUDA for its 24Gb to fully stretch it's legs.

Permabanned
48GB across all lines of cards or none because if we have what is enough people will argue it is not enough and so on as most people are also excruciatingly stupid and think in extremes, so am fitting in with 48GB or nil.

This is my pompous, ignoramus, kun-ty opinion on the matter and there is nothing you can do about it.

It is not in the writing that my opinion could be proven, since it is not truth that usually wins a debate especially in a place where intelligence and rules for debate are not instilled, but the people with enough self-interest and over-confidence and enough of a backing by the people who also likely never use, touched or saw the things they speak about IRL.

Just as there is nothing I can do to make people change either.

https://www.skilledatlife.com/things-we-cannot-control-or-change-in-life/

https://everydaypower.com/quotes-on-change-growth/

Last edited:
Permabanned
..and that's at 1440p..
By AMD who equipped their GPU's with 16GB Vram knowing Nvidia went with lower amounts.

Though we have some evidence of Far Cry 6 with a texture pack liking more Vram.
And some evidence against this by people who own Nvidia too, so who knows?

I don't trust marketing from either side.

Soldato
Officially least sunny location -Ronskistats
I don't trust marketing from either side.

Yeah this is true and should be a given for anyone but the sect of die-hards that exist. The exaggeration (you may be implying) will be less likely though due to reviewers, then gamers out there which would pull up the stats pretty swiftly. As the games and hardware have been out about a year now, I think it is fair to say its nonfiction.

Associate
I've yet to have a problem with 8gb on my old
v56 or with 12gb on the new 3080ti.

I'm at 1440p and I don't care if I'm at ultra or Max graphics settings.

I think it will be a long time before I have to drop to medium on many games.

The real difference in graphics quality between 8gb and 16 isn't significant to me.

Soldato
Oh god, here we go again. I bet you have a 3080 :D.

12gb minimum for 4k gaming
I'd much rather forgo the another 2gb VRAM and 10% performance for an extra 60%+ more money, when the 3080 isn't fast enough for 4K in a the majority of games then nor will the 80ti or 90 be good enough either regardless of the extra VRAM.

The man from AMD, he says over 10GB, https://youtu.be/jjBqaGLRycc?t=465

AMD also said 4gb VRAM wasn't enough for 1080p when they released the 5500XT 8gb yet 20 months later its successor gets released with 4gb so I wouldn't pay to much attention as they just say whatever to fit the narrative.

https://community.amd.com/t5/gaming/game-beyond-4gb/ba-p/414776

Last edited:
Soldato
I think 16 GB will definitely be the new standard for anything mid-range or above. On the one hand the need for > 8 GB is clear, and on the other hand AMD/NV won't want to make cards with bus widths too large, so for 256-bit bus cards 16 GB will be an obvious option.

What people don't get is that even right now a lot of games that require a lot of vram are still GIMPED in terms of how much they allow the streaming & loading of higher res textures and models. And then RT as it gets more complex also hits vram quite a bit. So all the hacks & band-aids currently done driver-side to accommodate the <12 GB cards will not necessarily be there next gen and with the next crop of games.

I know personally I definitely won't touch a card without a minimum of 12 GB, but realistically I'll want 16+. I've had instances where even my 16 GB wasn't enough and I could have used more (FC6 downsampling shenanigans), and I'm sure I'll run into that more going forward. Niche scenarios but hey, that's the fun of PC gaming in the first place! Why else spend all this money on high-end gear otherwise? :cool:

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom