Is 4K stupid at 49"

Associate
Hey guys,

I'm looking for a new TV and my budget isn't massive ~£800.

I wanted a 55" but can't afford those prices. Richersounds have a Samsung UE49KS9000 for £799. Is 4K stupid on a 49" Tv?

Soldato
you are benefiting from the HDR even if you are sitting at six feet.

What will be your sources ? if it is for netflix/amazon (see avforums) the perceived quality with their limited bandwitdh is blue ray 1080p
resolution so you will be able to benefit even > 6 feeet. (but need faster BB)
if it is 4k disks then you would benefit from bigger screen (if you want to invest in discs!)

But, everyone want as big screen, I think there are deals at the smaller screen sizes (like what you mention ) where you get a better picture quality
for much less money, especially if you are comparing with premium currently demanded for 2017 sets.
2017 sets are mostly getting 4k youtube access though unlike 2016.

Associate
OP
Well I've brought a PS4 pro and feel the need to get a 4K Tv to utilise it the console otherwise I should have gone for a PS4 slim. I would get a cheaper HDR with a bigger screen but I need the lower input lag.

Soldato
Also got a 50" 4k and its fine,I sit about 7 feet away,as said before get a decent source and it looks great,I have a Xbox one and it looks amazing on there (for me anyway)

Caporegime
All that viewing distance stuff is a load of tosh, you will be fine with 49".

+1

I have a 43" 4K TV in my living room. People on here would make you believe you need 60" screen minimum. Everyone who has seen my TV has been blown away by it and even ask if it's 4K because it looks so good compared to their TV's so yes it must be noticeable. Even thouigh it's 43" it's top of the range for that size and cost me around £900.

The biggest TV I can have in the living room is 43" due to a feature wall. In my bedroom i have a 50" and in the games room i have a 55". So it's not as if I'm biased to small tv's.

Soldato
+1

I have a 43" 4K TV in my living room. People on here would make you believe you need 60" screen minimum. Everyone who has seen my TV has been blown away by it and even ask if it's 4K because it looks so good compared to their TV's so yes it must be noticeable. Even thouigh it's 43" it's top of the range for that size and cost me around £900.

The biggest TV I can have in the living room is 43" due to a feature wall. In my bedroom i have a 50" and in the games room i have a 55". So it's not as if I'm biased to small tv's.

Jealous of your multi tv set up!

Caporegime
Jealous of your multi tv set up!

TV's aren't expensive if your a savvy buyer. the 43" is actually the most expensive tv i've ever bought and the smallest. i had to buy a tv for the living room, had zero time to wait for a deal so just went for it. before that my 55" top of the range sony was around £440, and before that my 50" GT50 panny plasma was £799.

TV's are cheap nowadays if you do your research and buy smart. plus the amount of use you get out of them makes them ridiculous in terms of value for money. my mate blew £900 on a night out 2 weeks ago (don't ask) whereas I spent £100.

Soldato
TV's aren't expensive if your a savvy buyer. the 43" is actually the most expensive tv i've ever bought and the smallest. i had to buy a tv for the living room, had zero time to wait for a deal so just went for it. before that my 55" top of the range sony was around £440, and before that my 50" GT50 panny plasma was £799.

TV's are cheap nowadays if you do your research and buy smart. plus the amount of use you get out of them makes them ridiculous in terms of value for money. my mate blew £900 on a night out 2 weeks ago (don't ask) whereas I spent £100.

Yeah i guess so. I bought a 55JS9000 for 1500 which in for me is very expensive for a TV, it does have a very good picture though.

Damn 900 in one night is insane!

Soldato

Which 43" is it

Caporegime
Which 43" is it

UH750V

I went for it over the equivalent samsung because i have a pretty unique living room situation where no seat actually faces the tv directly. so it had to be an IPS panel for viewing angles.

i never used my AVR and speakers for 2 months as i was busy doing other stuff when i moved in and the built in sound was stupidly good. i mean lots of people thought the sound was coming out my floorstanders and were shocked when i told them it was the TV's Harmon Kardon system.

my 50" 1080p plasma gets destroyed by modern day 4k oleds. I'm ok with it....when i'm not staring at one and drooling. :(

I wouldn't go that far. they are better yes but IMO only 1% of people in the UK would know what to look for. my 1080p plasma still blows me away at moments.

Soldato
I would. I was drooling at some oleds in costco a few days ago. Stunning.The Mrs was the first to common on how vibrant and 'real' they looked, and she doesnt really care about any of that. My pz80 is getting tired now.

darreny said:
I know what you mean, I keep trying to convince the wife based on power saving over the plasma/quote]

lol i've threatened mine with that before. I'm going to work it out tonight i think.

Last edited:
Soldato
I would. I was drooling at some oleds in costco a few days ago. Stunning.The Mrs was the first to common on how vibrant and 'real' they looked, and she doesnt really care about any of that. My pz80 is getting tired now.
I think sit her down in front of a whiteboard with lots of charts and figures is the way to go, maybe even ask someone from the electric board to come round too and speak to her lol.

Mine will just say the plasma heats the room in winter

Back
Top Bottom