Is 75hz good enough for FPS Gaming?

Associate
Hey folks as the title suggests im looking into getting a 27" 1080p Freesync Monitor with a 1ms response time and 75hz refresh rate ive seen 1 i really like for 190 pounds and the same monitor but with 144hz it's over 300 pounds im going to be mainly playing the likes of Destiny 2 and Call of duty.

Is 144hz pointless if you can't display 144 fps through your graphics card and if i go for the 144hz version i cant get a better GPU?

Btw im going for a Ryzen 7 1700 System with a RX VEGA 56 :)

Last edited:
Associate
Is 144hz pointless if you can display 144 fps through your graphics card and if i go for the 144hz version i cant get a better GPU?
^What??? I have no idea what you are saying

I'd say that you can get by at 75Hz but I'd also say the same player with the proper gear that can display 144Hz with adaptive sync is going to get a few more kills per round than the player on the 75Hz screen. Resolution helps too.

BTW if you're into the waiting game, the way things have been going, I'd have a lot more faith in the Performance Per Watt of Volta over Vega. Obviously I'm pulling this out of my rear end but it is educated speculation.

Associate
OP
Changed it now i meant can't display 144FPS

Also Im currently running a 20" 1680x1050 Display at 60hz with 5ms response time so will be a big upgrade for me i could go all out and get a 2k 144hz monitor but then i can only buy a rubbish gpu?

Associate
You have to match the power of the GPU to the monitor. Like I said, 75Hz adaptive sync is better than vanilla 60Hz, but it's not as good as 144Hz (obviously). BTW do you really need a Vega 56 for 75Hz 1080P? Kind of a waste no? Why don't you get a 580?

Associate
It depends on what game you play, I'm on 75hz myself here and as a twitch fps gamer who sometimes plays competitively you do really want something a bit more (I'd say 90hz minimum). Sadly I'm stuck with 75hz as I really like ultrawide, and do graphics work so need the IPS tech and the fastest ultrawide freesync IPS display only does 75hz.

Associate
OP
I Was Originally looking at getting a RX 580 but then when i seen Vega was releasing i thought it would have been way high priced but starting at 400 dollars seems a bargain Also i want to be able to Hit 60 Fps Minimum in all the upcoming games over the next few years so wouldn't 1080p 75hz be less taxing on the Gpu il be overclocking it btw.

Associate
I'd wait and get the AMD Vega 56, if the benchmarks are true and the pricing is correct (so $399 will be £399, because VAT is included in our price but sales tax in the US is not) it'll run circles around the GTX 1070. Worst case is when RX Vega is released the prices on the RX 580's will drop.

Even the RX 580 should occasionally get you above 75fps if you dial the settings down a bit. I know I can easily get above 75 in most games on my Fury X @ 3440x1440@75

Soldato
I used to play quake fine on my 60hz. But you will no doubt have an edge with higher Hz but not so drastic as people make out.

Personally I will be looking to upgrade to the 144hz with my next monitor though as why not.

Soldato
I may not be able to get much above 90 fps in a lot of demanding games on my ageing 980 Ti but I also appreciate the high refresh rate of 100/120/144 monitors when using Window desktop for example. Personal preference but I cap games to 75 fps via MSI AB and that helps to keep a lower average temp in the system. For me having a higher refresh on the monitor means tearing is less of an issue especially on one of my systems that has 144Hz but only an RX480 driving the games (race sims) but no FreeSync/G-Sync.

Going back to 60 fps/Hz is noticeable with diminishing returns up to around 100 fps/Hz but again personal preference.

Soldato
I used to set 85-90hz as after that I'd challenge anyone to notice or *feel* the difference to any degree worth caring about. I'm using 75hz freesync with a 5ms responce and it's great.

Associate
OP
Hey guys after Much Consideration ive decided to go for this Monitor http://gmaster.iiyama.com/gb_en/products/g-master-gb2760qsu-b1/

Please delete if im not aloud to Link

It has Anything you Could possibly need from a high end 1440p, 144hz, 1ms Monitor and should do well for years to come Couple that with a Aftermarket RX VEGA 56 and its a force to be reckoned with For full system specs see below.

I've also decided i want to start streaming on Twitch all the Latest games any help is much appreciated?

I Will be Building my new System at the End of September Parts listed Below

AMD Ryzen™ 7 1700 8 Core AM4 CPU/Processor with Wraith Spire 95W cooler - Will be using the Stock cooler for now hope to go Fully Water-cooled sometime next year

Gigabyte AORUS AMD AM4 Ryzen AX370 GAMING K7 ATX Motherboard

Still Undecided on what Manufacturer of memory to go with but it will be 16gb DDR4 at as fast a speed possible probably 3466mhz If Ryzen will allow such speeds with future BIOS/UEFI updates

Samsung 500GB 960 Evo PCIe NVMe Solid State Drive - For my Windows 10 and all my games never had a SSD before and this is apparently 5 times faster than one :)

AMD VEGA RX 56 - Will be waiting for the Aftermarket cards to come out and get 1 of them so i can overclock it to its full potential seeing as Reference cards are coming in at the £367 think £400 is a good price for one of these.

Windows 10 Pro 64-bit - I love Windows 7 but cant use the latest Features and DX12 without 10 so will be getting this :/

^Above^ are the new parts i will be acquiring and these will be the ones im keeping from my current build

EVGA 850 G2 Been using this for the past few years has done great and still has 7 year warranty left :)

Samsung Spinpoint F1 1TB Main drive - had this for 8 years still going strong - Western Digital Blue 1TB Back-Up drive - Had a few months just so i dont lose anything

Coolermaster HAF 932 Advanced Modified - Project Uprising Love this case to bits its my 3rd one due to the first 2 getting damaged and wouldn't change it for anything also had a lot of Hours of work put into Modding/Cable management plus all my Enermax T.B Apolish fans it wont be going anywhere anytime soon :)

Time to get Saving haha

Please tell me what you think Below Thanks for Reading :)

Soldato
That's a TN panel. Pros and cons for that panel type.

Pros
Good even black levels, and decent blacks (backlight & deepest black)
Fast response & lag
Cheap

Cons
Poor colour
Poor off axis response (H&V)

Caporegime
I'd say that you can get by at 75Hz but I'd also say the same player with the proper gear that can display 144Hz with adaptive sync is going to get a few more kills per round than the player on the 75Hz screen. Resolution helps too.

absolute rubbish, player skill and ping are the top 2 most important factors.

i know someone who games on a 50" £300 polaroid tv and guess what they absolutely annihilate people they are in the top 3% in destiny.

i just got a 144hz monitor and i would say the most important thing in a monitor is IPS. you want it to be IPS. res doesn't really matter either so long as it's minimum 1080p your fine. same goes for refresh rate so long as it's 60hz minimum your fine.

your not going to become an fps god by buying a 1ms 144hz panel. you will at the very best improve your reaction time by like 7ms which is nothing. when have you ever thought if only i had another 7ms i would have gotten that kill.

Caporegime
^ Pros and cons to IPS.

Colour accuracy in games isn't important, nor is wide viewing angles.
Backlight bleed though in games, and lag and slower discharge may be a problem.

the pros to an IPS is that the screen doesn't look like complete garbage.

i just replaced two 24" IPS panels with two 27" one a TN the other a VA. and now i'm wishing i had spent the extra for 27" IPS panels.

the lag and discharge is so small it's non existant. your talking 8ms vs 4ms, etc not even superman could tell you the ms rating of a panel if you showed him 2 side by side. but even stevie wonder could tell you which panel was the IPS as it looks amazing.

Soldato
hahaha lol whatever.

My TN doesn't look like garbage. It's 10 years old, and IPS back then were garbage for gaming. You don't need 99% colour accuracy in games.

There are pros and cons to ALL panel types, IPS has positives and negatives, just like TN and VA.

Associate
OP
I'm not Bothered about being the best gamer in the world i just want to Enjoy the games i play and want them to look Fantastic I use to be good at Like Call of duty Etc and will take me some time to get back to that Level but that's a challenge im looking forward to :) Everyone says that if i get a 1080p Monitor im Wasting the performance of the Build and i dont want that.

Also i Feel that this Monitor has the best Future proofing for the money after all this has to last me at least another 5 years Enjoying games at the highest Possible quality.

Back
Top Bottom