Is a 650W PSU enough?

Associate
Just about to pull the trigger on a new EVGA G3 PSU because it seems my old one is faulty. Just checking 650W is enough. I want it to have enough power in the future.

I only have a single GPU (RX580) and don't ever intend on getting a second one as I game at 1080p. I currently have an i5 2500K (not overclocked) but I want to upgrade to Ryzen and overclock or perhaps an i7/i9. I have a few SSD's installed and an AIO cpu cooler but I will never get full water-cooling.

Will this 650W be able to comfortably power an overclocked CPU (as much as I can get out of it ~5Ghz) and a single power hungry gpu?

Thanks

Permabanned
yes 650w would be overkill for a ryzen and RX580
EVGA G3 650W, that is 100% upto the job

i have a power hunger 6850k and a fury gpu. and only pull 375w(peak) from the wall when gaming

Deleted member 209350

D

Deleted member 209350

I usually hear conflicting reports of what you actually need. Even on this thread alone the link posted has said someone needs 850w and the first reply says its way more than enough lmao.

I personally feel as if 650 is enough for a somewhat regular user, even with overclocking cpu, gpu and ram. Its only when you require dual gpu's and are using a high tdp cpu thats also been overclocked that you might need to consider getting a psu with a higher wattage

Man of Honour
It is more than enough for a i7 9700k/Ryzen 2700x and any gpu up to a vega 56/GTX2080 but if going for a 9900k (I can see the high end Zen 2 cpu's being pretty power hungry as well when overclocked) and clocking the nuts off it while adding a vega 64/GTX1080ti/GTX2080ti then I would want 750-850w just to have the spare headroom. Normally we would recommend a 550w psu for your current spec but as you are going to upgrade to much more power hungry components buy a decent sized psu now rather than getting a 650w unit only to find it's struggling or running the fan at full speed because such a heavy load is being placed on it. Jumping to a 850w psu only adds a relatively small increase to the cost. As EVGA psu's seem to have vanished on OCUK I had a look around and the EVGA G3 650w is mostly in the £101-106 region apart from one place and I wouldn't buy from them if they were the last retailer on the planet. By increasing the budget to £120-125 you can get three psu's that are every bit as good as the G3 and one is even Platinum rated. The Seasonic and Antec both have a 10 year warranty while the Phanteks (Seasonic built) has a 12 year warranty.

My basket at Overclockers UK:

As for conflicting reports of what is actually needed, people do tend to over estimate just how much power they actually need and quite a few would be surprised at how little their pc actually draws from the wall. Take my pc for instance. I am running a BeQuiet Straight Power 11 550w psu in the pc in my siggy (similar spec to you) along with 12x 120mm fans, 4x 200mm fans, 2x fan controllers, 2x Temp monitors and a couple of leds for the reservoir. It only pulls 128-275w at the wall while gaming (depending on the game) and the very max I have managed to make it pull was 367w at the wall while using OCCT's psu torture test. Idling/ internet browsing is 68w at the wall.

Back
Top Bottom