Is a 800VA / 480w UPS (Uninterruptable Power Supply) enough for the PS5 ?

Associate
Hello,
Knowing that the PS5 is still pretty sensitive to sudden power drops (whilst turned on or in rest mode) I decided that I should buy a UPS. I found a good bargain for a brand new 800VA / 480w UPS and I was wondering if it is enough so that I can safely turn off the PS5 until the power is on again. I do not want to play games while the power is down nor do I want to connect anything else into the UPS -- it's just for the PS5. The PS5 will NOT be kept in rest mode.
I'm expecting the batteries to last a long time since power loss is very rare here (it happened once, for a few seconds, 8 months ago). Maybe I'm OCD but I'd rather be on the safe side since the PS5 has unfixed issues with sudden power loss (like storage failure). I'm afraid that it will break and the store in my country (Europe) will give my money back since there are no replacements due to lack of PS5 stock.
So what do you guys think? Is 800VA / 480w enough to safely turn off the PS5? Can I go lower than 480? Should I go higher?

Soldato
Higher or lower is up to you as to how long you want power for. I'd say Lower, something up to 200w as if it is only your PS5 being plugged in then as you've said your not planning to continue gaming while on UPS power.
That said you'll need your TV plugged into the UPS as well to allow you to shutdown the console.

Associate
OP
You are right. I forgot to take into consideration the fact that I need the TV to be On on order to be able to power down the console. So this adds an extra ~80W to the power consumption.

Soldato
I'm debating putting my PS5 into a UPS myself - just as mentioned also need to plug in the TV and for my setup, a Receiver too.
In our neck of the woods it's those little off/on power outages that seem more common than anything else - so more or less anything would keep those on for that short period of time.
If we have a proper outage I just want to be able to power the console down, not looking to continue playing.

Soldato
This seems like a waste of money to me, one power outage in 8 months doesn't suggest a UPS is necessary, especially for a games console. Spend £15-20 on a decent surge protector to smooth out any voltage/current dips/spikes when the power goes off/on and you'll be fine, the PS5 isn't going to fail just because of a few power cuts.

Associate
Our power fluctuates all the time - lights dim maybe 3 or 4 times per evening - not had a single issue with my PS5.

Associate
OP
@Zefan No, because the console will go in rest mode instead of shutting down if you press the physical power button. Also if you turn off the tv (or the power is cut to the tv) the console will go into rest mode.

Soldato
@Zefan No, because the console will go in rest mode instead of shutting down if you press the physical power button. Also if you turn off the tv (or the power is cut to the tv) the console will go into rest mode.

If you press it once it will go in to rest mode. If you hold it for 5-10 seconds it will beep a second time and turn off rather than go to rest mode.

Soldato
If you press it once it will go in to rest mode. If you hold it for 5-10 seconds it will beep a second time and turn off rather than go to rest mode.

You only need to hold it for a few seconds to shut it down completely, any longer and it'll do a forced power off (useful for when it freezes/crashes). :)

Back
Top Bottom