Is a Nintendo Switch for me?

Soldato
I am getting old and the older I get, the harder it is for me to find a game I like to play. I have an XBox One X, which is a great bit of kit and can produce some lovely-looking games. The only one I can muster up the energy to play is Diablo 3, a game I have racked up many hours on. Other than that, I comb through the Games Pass stuff, play something for five minutes and then turn it off. High-rated Indie games usually bore me to tears. Celeste lasted two minutes and I don't enjoy games which class themselves as 'hardcore' in terms of difficulty. I can't even get into Stardew Valley. Racing games, fighting games and shooters (using console controls, at least) aren't my bag of beans any more.

With this in mind, will a Nintendo Switch help me recover some of the joy? As a word of warning, I've owned Nintendo consoles before and don't really 'get' the magic of the company's big-hitters. Plumbers gathering stars doesn't excite me. Mario Kart may be okay in very short bursts. Zelda I'm not sure about (I've played several before and found them okay, not much else). Smash Brothers doesn't appeal whatsoever.

The thing is, the Switch is universally praised, which makes me wonder if I'm missing out. I suppose I could flog my One X and buy a Switch to play Diablo 3, but that doesn't seem worth the hassle.

Soldato
All depends on you really. But if you don't like Nintendo first party stuff or indie games in general then there's probably not much point. I'm at the wrong end of 40 and I love the thing but that's just me. Diablo is great and it's cool to be able to play it anywhere but I'm not sure it's worth £250+ just to have it.

Soldato
OP
All depends on you really. But if you don't like Nintendo first party stuff or indie games in general then there's probably not much point.

This is what I'm thinking, it's just that gaming has been a hobby for almost my entire life, from the Vic20, all the way through to today and it's difficult to accept that it no longer interests me. Hence I keep asking myself if the Switch would change my mind and the answer in my head is 'probably not'.

Man of Honour
This is what I'm thinking, it's just that gaming has been a hobby for almost my entire life, from the Vic20, all the way through to today and it's difficult to accept that it no longer interests me. Hence I keep asking myself if the Switch would change my mind and the answer in my head is 'probably not'.

If you don't like Indie games or Nintendo games then there is nothing on the Switch for you.

Caporegime

sounds like it's a gaming PC you need.

I switch from console to PC all the time. the switches main selling point is portability if you travel a lot or commute on public transport for long periods and don't want to watch netflix / youtube. other than that it is nintendo games a lot fo whcih are just remastered or updated wii titles.

it's more popular with nintendo enthusiasts or younger kids both of which you are not.

Soldato
OP
sounds like it's a gaming PC you need.

I have a PC upon which I used to game, but I moved it into my business for tax purposes, so now I'm no longer permitted to use it for anything other than business. I have the same Steam library as everyone else, filled with unplayed games that I never got around to loading up. I used to play a lot of Diablo 3 and WoW on it, but the latter takes me away from spending time with my wife, whilst on a console I can game whilst still spending time in the same room. However you are correct to say that a gaming PC would be more suitable, but I wasn't really playing much on it anyway.

I would just accept the loss of a hobby and move on if it wasn't for the fact that I lack a replacement hobby and I still feel the urge to play games. I still want them, it's just when I load them up, I don't enjoy playing.

Associate
You dont like Indie, Racing, Shooters, Nintendo first party game, sounds like you dont really like gaming anymore lol or atleast console gaming, How about a gaming Laptop?

Caporegime
I have a PC upon which I used to game, but I moved it into my business for tax purposes, so now I'm no longer permitted to use it for anything other than business. I have the same Steam library as everyone else, filled with unplayed games that I never got around to loading up. I used to play a lot of Diablo 3 and WoW on it, but the latter takes me away from spending time with my wife, whilst on a console I can game whilst still spending time in the same room. However you are correct to say that a gaming PC would be more suitable, but I wasn't really playing much on it anyway.

I would just accept the loss of a hobby and move on if it wasn't for the fact that I lack a replacement hobby and I still feel the urge to play games. I still want them, it's just when I load them up, I don't enjoy playing.

It sounds like you need anti depressants getting laid might help too.

Back
Top Bottom