1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Is a pico better than a normal psu for small cases?

Discussion in 'Power Supplies' started by ExoMale, Oct 4, 2018.

1. ExoMale

Mobster

keep looking at itx cases to rehouse my am1, but unsure if a small case with a pico would be better than a small case with a built in psu?

2. chippy08

Mobster

I use a pico psu in my coolermaster elite 130 for around 3 years, but only issues is you only get one sata plug and one molex so you need to use splitter cables. Also there is normally no 10m hole drilled in to the case for the pico and also you have to factor in the cost of a power brick.

3. Hotwired

Soldato

Depends what you want.

Using a pico psu has potential to have a smaller case because much of the power hardware is outsourced to the laptop power brick you need to power it.

Does a pico psu have enough wattage for the system? They are notoriously low wattage.

4. vanandjuanunited

Soldato

I use a pico with an AM1 setup. Used with a previous setup too. Never missed a beat.
    I used a PCIE slot cover with the hole pre made on it to secure the power lead

AM1 5350
    8GB Ram
    120GB SSD
    2x 2TB HDD
    Bluray player

5. ExoMale

Mobster

thanks for replies.

havent got my eyes on anything yet, i have seen a chiftec bundle with pico and adapter for £90 odd on the zon, but having trouble finding specs to see if the stock 80mm cooler will fit.

i have:

sempron 3850
    2x2gb kingston 1333mhz ram
    64gb kingspec ssd
    250gb wdb hdd
    cx450w

in my elite 110 case

the purpose of the small case with pico/built in is to make it a travel option over buying a laptop or a nuc, so only the ssd or a larger one will be used and maybe up to 8gb ram if i can be bothered, so under 50w of power id imagine?