Is a Quest 2 the way to go?

Soldato
Hopping on this, is the stuff I've already got for CV1 backwards compatible?

Would love a resolution upgrade but I'll just stick with CV1 if I can't play the stuff I've already got

you can play everything you have on the PC through Virtual Desktop or the Link cable.

But, you can also get games for the Quest 2 to play without having to connect to a PC at all. Some of these games are crossbuy. That is, if you buy or own them already on one headset, you can download them for free on the other headset. For example, if you bought Until you Fall for your Rift Civ1, you would be able to download it onto your Quest 2 for free.

Not all games are crossbuy. Beat Saber isn't, for example.

Soldato
you can play everything you have on the PC through Virtual Desktop or the Link cable.

But, you can also get games for the Quest 2 to play without having to connect to a PC at all. Some of these games are crossbuy. That is, if you buy or own them already on one headset, you can download them for free on the other headset. For example, if you bought Until you Fall for your Rift Civ1, you would be able to download it onto your Quest 2 for free.

Not all games are crossbuy. Beat Saber isn't, for example.

Cool thanks, also how much improvement am I going to see over CV1?

Soldato
Cool thanks, also how much improvement am I going to see over CV1?

It's a massive improvement over CV1 in visuals and flexibility. You won't believe how much better it looks, and wireless VR is incredible.

CV1 has more accurate tracking (if you have three sensors), comfort (as it's lighter) and audio. Comfort and audio can be made better on the Quest 2 with a better headstrap and decent headphones (though the Quest 2 built-in audio is pretty good anyway, and hassle free as there's no fiddling with wires or headphones).

Soldato
Just upgraded last week to the Quest 2 from the CV1, and the visual quality improvement has been amazing, especially in Elite Dangerous where I struggled to read some of the on screen text.

But the flexibility of using Virtual Desktop to play SteamVR and Rift CV1 games has been the most amazing thing. Streaming from my upstairs office where my gaming PC is, down to my Livingroom, being able to play all my games totally wirelessly is incredible.

Previously I had physically moved my PC into my Livingroom to play room scale VR, as the office didn't have the space, and because of that I seldom did any VR, besides Elite Dangerous. With Virtual Desktop, I am revisiting several games, in better quality, and an overall better experience than I ever have been able to before.

Soldato
hey guys, just bought a Quest 2. I have a quick q about the Virtual desktop. I already own it from my Vive on steam. Will I have to buy it again on Oculus or is it used from Steam anyway?

Soldato
hey guys, just bought a Quest 2. I have a quick q about the Virtual desktop. I already own it from my Vive on steam. Will I have to buy it again on Oculus or is it used from Steam anyway? :)

You'll have to buy it from the Oculus store as it's a separate product.

Note that some games are 'Cross-buy' on the Oculus Store, i.e. if you buy the Quest version you get the PC version free, and vice-versa, but not all games support this.

Associate
Beat Saber is so much better on the Quest 2 than PSVR. Movement tracking, picture quality etc. More comfortable too. Does anyone have the elite strap? Is it worth getting or a cheaper one from ebay etc?

Soldato
Beat Saber is so much better on the Quest 2 than PSVR. Movement tracking, picture quality etc. More comfortable too. Does anyone have the elite strap? Is it worth getting or a cheaper one from ebay etc?

I've got the Elite battery strap and I love it. Though it's even better with VR cover rear pad. All these accessories really bump the price up!

Though there are still reports of Elite straps breaking, but Oculus is very good at replacing these.

Associate
I'm currently enjoying Half Life Alyx running wirelessly with virtual desktop in a larger play space with the Quest 2 and it is amazing - its a fantastic bit of kit and I'm so glad I passed on this game until now - definitely feels like it was worth the wait to experience this at its best - its just stunning.

Back
Top Bottom