Is a ryzen 2700 low enough powered for 450w?

Soldato
ive got a broken pin on my 2600 which I think is causing memory issues, so I’m going to order a replacement, now while I don’t like the extra increase in price, I was maybe thinking of getting the 2700 if I can stretch to it, but only if my 450w will be fine with the extra increase?

Man of Honour
Just checked a review for you (something you could easily have done yourself) and Techpowerup found that at stock clocks they saw a maximum of 351w at the wall and when overclocked this went up to 372w at the wall. The gpu that they were using was a 1080ti so as you have a 1060 your power consumption will be quite a bit less. As you have 432w or 450w on the 12v rail, depending on the version you have, you have enough power to run a 2700 comfortably.

Soldato
OP
thanks for reply

yeah i know, but not everyone gets the same results all the time and im sure those reviewers are using better power supplies. mine is one that has all 450w on the 12v rail. maybe i shouldve worded it differently as while i dont have faults with my power supplies i buy, that doesnt mean they are strong enough units still.

Soldato
65W TDP non-X 2700 is certainly OK.
Fully stressed 2700X would again start pushing VRM of that motherboard.
In The Stilt's testing B450 Aorus Pro with same VRM stock 2700X doing x264 encoding made VRM temp exceed 100C.

Though if it's used for gaming, then Zen2 Ryzen would be better upgrade.

Man of Honour
thanks for reply

yeah i know, but not everyone gets the same results all the time and im sure those reviewers are using better power supplies. mine is one that has all 450w on the 12v rail. maybe i shouldve worded it differently as while i dont have faults with my power supplies i buy, that doesnt mean they are strong enough units still.

That will be the ST45SF v3.0 which is now built by Sirtec. It's not a bad psu and it's stronger than the FSP built versions that came before it. Jonnyguru gave it 8.7/10 and HardOCP gave it a silver award so it's fairly decent.

***Edit*** I didn't pay any attention to the motherboard but now that EsaT has mentioned it Gigabyte has skimped on the board and the top row of vrm chips are bare. That is pretty poor for a board costing over £80 and I would have expected at least a basic heatsink there. Asrock has managed it on the Pro4 and that's a cheaper board!! I would be looking at putting some little ramsinks or similar over those to get some of the heat away from them. What would be even better is if they were right next to a exhaust fan on the case. With all the kit you seem to buy do you have any dead motherboards you could rob a suitable heatsink from or maybe even a dead or old psu that may have a suitable heatsink? You could then stick it to the vrm's with something like Akasa's excellent thermal tape but make sure you clean both surfaces with IPA first.

Last edited:
Back
Top Bottom