is aftermarket stereo classified as a mod?

sid

sid

Soldato
Hi guys,

I updated my tape drive stereo in my honda civic to a cd system with usb etc.
It was only £70 so not particularly.

Should this be declared as a mod on the car? needless to say, im not worried about it getting nicked. Seriously, who steals stereos now a days?

Any thoughts?

Soldato
Don't know about most policies but for as long as I've been with Flux I have always had a maximum ICE insurance value on my policy, I have always assumed this covered custom installs up to the insurable limit.

Not that fussed though as I only change HUs for connectivity reasons

Associate
Generally speaking a new stereo will not class as a risk altering modification; thus you will be fine without telling your insurer. If you look at the policy schedule there should be a cover limit that applies to your car audio, for example mine shows as up to £500 and I'd only inform them if it goes over.

Permanently fitted after market car audio, sat nav, in car entertainment etc usually get defined as accessories in a policy booklet rather than vehicle modifications, which alter the cars dynamics.

Soldato
I do't think any insurer could class that as grounds to refuse a claim, except maybe a break in if it's particularly flashy (does car stereo theft even still happen?).

So probably only declare it if you want it covered, but I follow the idea that you shouldn't insure anything you can reasonably afford to replace without notice, can you reasonably afford to replace a £70 stereo? If averaged out over every ~£70 thing you own, you come out better off by not insuring any of them, better by about the profit margin of an insurer.

Cars these days are all alarmed, plus CD/MP3 headunits can be had for <£40 new so really aren't worth nicking.

Go back to the mid 1990s when a good CD headunit cost a heck of a lot more, cars had no alarms and could be hotwired, and they would get broken into far far more.

I declare mods to insurers (remaps, decorative changes etc.) but have never bothered about telling them about basic stereo/speaker upgrades. If I had a £1000 ICE system I would though!

Back
Top Bottom