• Competitor rules

Please remember that any mention of competitors, hinting at competitors or offering to provide details of competitors will result in an account suspension. The full rules can be found under the 'Terms and Rules' link in the bottom right corner of your screen. Just don't mention competitors in any way, shape or form and you'll be OK.

Is AMD 5000 series the last on AM4?

Associate
Hi all

Have we had confirmation that the AMD 5000 series the last on the AM4 platform? If so any ideas when new socket will hit?

I have a Intel 3770k and don't want to upgrade straight to socket that's end of life again really...

Thanks

Associate
There are processors with integrated graphics coming, based on same Zen 3 cores as current 5000 series.
Knowing AMD, they will not miss an opportunity of messing up naming scheme by calling these APUs Ryzen 6xxx

But overall yes, this is the last generation on AM4

AM5 rumored to release Late 2021. From what we know they seem to be on track.
If you can afford to wait, wait. Especially as there is no point in building a new system with graphics card availability/prices.

Intel with Alder Lake Socket 1700 is also releasing late 2021, probably slightly ahead of AMD.

Associate
Even if they do release another line of CPUs without an iGPU for AM4, they are very likely to be a refresh so not a significant leap in performance.
For longevity, wait for AM5 and ignore Intel.

Associate
OP
Ok thanks, that kind of what I have read online...

I don't upgrade much but would be nice to have a CPU upgrade path in future....just in case I want to use it..

Associate
Probably there will be an autumn refresh on AM4 similar to the 3800xt last year.
But the truth is no one knows for certain if Vermeer is the last AM4 chip or not. AMD roadmaps show Warhol as a ZEN3 architecture, but it could conceivably be the first AM5 part rather than an AM4 refresh. AMD have been tight lipped so all we have is half a cropped photo of their roadmap circa end of 2020 and a load of speculation with no guarantee that AMD haven't changed their plans.

Associate
I am in pretty much exactly the same situation as OP. I would love to upgrade to a 5000 series Ryzen, but at the same time I don't really want to be on the last gen of the socket, especially if the rumours of DDR5 have any merit.

DIAMOND hands on the 3770K!

Associate
Why not jump now with a good 8 core and see how am5 matures over the next 2 years. I would not want to jump on ddr5 straight away. Give it at least a year after release. It's taken a lot of agesa releases and Ryzen iterations to get where we are now. I would get a 5800x and enjoy it.

Soldato
We don't know but there are rumours that AMD is so unimpressed with Intel's Rocket lake performance that it is delaying Zen 4 and instead launching 6000 series as Zen3+ and it will run on AM4 boards.

This kinda makes sense, if the Zen 4 rumours are true it's going to be blindingly fast (like over 800 points in Cinebench R20 single thread) and extremely overkill for this market when Rocket Lake is sitting at 560 single thread points - so until Intel produces something with substance AMD seems to be taking it easy

Last edited:
Associate
Whilst its understandable to ease off the gas a bit, what does easing off actually benefit AMD with ? More time for development to make the next gen even faster again or just resting on laurels ( which Intel is possibly paying a little bit of a price for at the moment ).

Associate
Probably there will be an autumn refresh on AM4 similar to the 3800xt last year.
But the truth is no one knows for certain if Vermeer is the last AM4 chip or not. AMD roadmaps show Warhol as a ZEN3 architecture, but it could conceivably be the first AM5 part rather than an AM4 refresh. AMD have been tight lipped so all we have is half a cropped photo of their roadmap circa end of 2020 and a load of speculation with no guarantee that AMD haven't changed their plans.

This is my understanding too.

The key issue is that with a new socket is that we will move to the world of PCIE 5.0 and DDR5, with all the power and heat issues that will arise with that next version. There is also a lot of talk that these significantly the higher transfer rates will almost certainly necessitate ECC going forward (Linus Torvalds has been moaning about this!). I suspect that this new generation will be extremely expensive initially, and I don't want to think what the ramifications might be for the mobile market where these new technologies might be a little too expensive powerwise initially, causing a much slower rollout to those markets. As it is, I don't believe Renoir (Ryzen 4000) supports even PCIE 4.0, which is rather telling.

Soldato
I am in pretty much exactly the same situation as OP. I would love to upgrade to a 5000 series Ryzen, but at the same time I don't really want to be on the last gen of the socket, especially if the rumours of DDR5 have any merit.

It's very likely early ddr5 boards will become obsolete and not support the new platform through it's lifespan of cpus just like with AM4. So many people praised the drop in upgrade of AM4 early on yet had to change boards and buy faster ram to get the best of the newer cpus anyway. You didn't need to do this if you went onto the platform mid cycle or later.

Permabanned
We don't know but there are rumours that AMD is so unimpressed with Intel's Rocket lake performance that it is delaying Zen 4 and instead launching 6000 series as Zen3+ and it will run on AM4 boards.

This kinda makes sense, if the Zen 4 rumours are true it's going to be blindingly fast (like over 800 points in Cinebench R20 single thread) and extremely overkill for this market when Rocket Lake is sitting at 560 single thread points - so until Intel produces something with substance AMD seems to be taking it easy

It will be a missed opportunity for market domination. The OEMs need a serious reason to switch over to AMD. And this claimed performance increases can be these reasons.

Caporegime
Why not jump now with a good 8 core and see how am5 matures over the next 2 years. I would not want to jump on ddr5 straight away. Give it at least a year after release. It's taken a lot of agesa releases and Ryzen iterations to get where we are now. I would get a 5800x and enjoy it.
Indeed a 3600 is a great upgrade to make and then in a year or two a 5800x will be another jump in performance. I really can’t see a 5800x becoming slow any time soon. Years certainly.

Soldato

I thought about this coming from 4790k but my thought was cost of DDR5, maturity, stability and all that because generally a first gen with new everything is going to have some teething issues and since even AMD on 5000 series has teething issues that is a good few generations in on a current socket I wouldn't want to buy into the latest myself. In fact if I hadn't picked up at retail prices I would have waited for the new CPU's from AMD and then brought 5000 series then when it would likely show a discount etc.

Edit: And if it does end up being a winning formula then I could offload my 5000 chip, mobo and RAM at a fair price to cut the costs a little but hoping to wait for a second generation towards end of 2022 if all on schedule.

Soldato

Honestly that would be the opposite from what AMD have said and done with Ryzen so far where they have stated and shown regardless of performance of their competitor they need to keep moving forward. In fact the same rumours to a point came about for the 5000 series being delayed for those reasons because they were competing effectively with 3000 series. It was quickly squashed. AMD putting the boot in would be ideal in that a solid 12-18 months for no response from Intel should push Intel to try and compete even further.

Soldato
To add a further issue into the mix, lest we not forget that PCIE 6.0 is now a thing, and I think from memory that the spec reached final draft at the end of last year.

yeah that can be ignored tbh. They said it would take similar for PCIE 5.0 that ended up being almost 2 years to finalise. And even if it is then you are still going to be a good couple of generations away. I mean we have almost completely skipped 4.0 in consumer parts, certainly on Intels side. We may see it quicker in server side etc but yeah just not in anything we are looking at for I think about 3 years from now. With that, does it really add anything for consumer other than cost. We don't for most part saturate PCIE 3.0 even.

Back
Top Bottom