• Competitor rules

Please remember that any mention of competitors, hinting at competitors or offering to provide details of competitors will result in an account suspension. The full rules can be found under the 'Terms and Rules' link in the bottom right corner of your screen. Just don't mention competitors in any way, shape or form and you'll be OK.

Is AMD due to release any CPU's that will be fast as an Intel CPU ?

Soldato
Am thinking of upgrading another one the PC's in my house and I was wondering if anyone knows if AMD are due to release any new CPU's that will be as fast an Intel i7-8700k cpu ?

Or do I still stick with buying an intel i7-8700k/8086K cpu...

bru

bru

Soldato
They already have, years ago

LINK

Base of 4.7 boost of 5GHz, taking the word 'Fast' to indicate the speed it runs at.;)

Associate
Yeah i am sure they could slow down the 2700 enough to make it as fast as a 8700...
might have to chop a couple of cores off... ohh wait... silly me they did that already.

bru

bru

Soldato
For
No I mean fast for Gaming...

We all gather what you were meaning, you want to know when AMD will release something with as much performance as Intel for gaming purposes.

Only sensible answer to what you really want to know is, no idea, not privy to AMD's secrets. ;)

Soldato
We all gather what you were meaning, you want to know when AMD will release something with as much performance as Intel for gaming purposes.

Only sensible answer to what you really want to know is, no idea, not privy to AMD's secrets. ;)

+1
I'm sort of guessing that around April or March next year we will get an answer.

Soldato
No I mean fast for Gaming...
If you game at 1080p with GTX1080Ti not yet. Next year.

If you game with lesser card or at higher resolution, there is no different between 5Ghz 8700K and 2700X at 4.2Ghz.
Also to achieve 5Ghz you have to delid losing the warranty and potential damaging the chip, and watercool the CPU.
The 2700X can do it with the stock cooler.

Soldato
You should spend as much money as possible, on an 8086K 5.3GHz binned with a top of the range Z370 motherboard, and 16GB/32GB DDR4-4266MHz RAM to get the best performance. If you are playing at 720P/1080P then you probably should make sure you have a 1080 Ti as well otherwise you might find you dip below 160 FPS in some games at Ultra settings, I wouldn't recommend SLI however since the benefit isn't there really. If you get yourself a nice 1TB Samsung 970 Pro M.2 drive, your games could load way, way faster too, up to 20%+ in some titles.

It's going to be a massive upgrade if you are coming from an i7-2600K etc. you'll probably get a 15-20%+ performance boost, and in my opinion spending about £1300-1500 for this gain is totally worth it.

I doubt you'll get any better advice than that, since nothing can touch what I have recommended. Make sure you post some photos once you've built it. :)

Soldato
OP
You should spend as much money as possible, on an 8086K 5.3GHz binned with a top of the range Z370 motherboard, and 16GB/32GB DDR4-4266MHz RAM to get the best performance. If you are playing at 720P/1080P then you probably should make sure you have a 1080 Ti as well otherwise you might find you dip below 160 FPS in some games at Ultra settings, I wouldn't recommend SLI however since the benefit isn't there really. If you get yourself a nice 1TB Samsung 970 Pro M.2 drive, your games could load way, way faster too, up to 20%+ in some titles.

It's going to be a massive upgrade if you are coming from an i7-2600K etc. you'll probably get a 15-20%+ performance boost, and in my opinion spending about £1300-1500 for this gain is totally worth it.

I doubt you'll get any better advice than that, since nothing can touch what I have recommended. Make sure you post some photos once you've built it. :)
Your close

It for upgrading my HTPC from a i5-2500 cpu to use for gaming at 1080p on my TV
But only have a GTX 1080 and not a ti

Soldato

This is just bad advice. He needs another 1080Ti for SLI, plus 64GB RAM. This will easily net an extra 5FPS, so it's a no-brainer. And a measly 1TB SSD?? Pfftt, come on, you can't get by in 2018 with any less than 4TB, and ideally x2 of them. He'll also need a meaty power supply and a cool case to show this all off. Oh, and watercool EVERYTHING, including the motherboard and RAM, which will only add about £1000, which is nothing when you want the best.

Can save a bit on the monitor though, just go with a 21.5" 1080p, you'll be good.

Here, I've made it easy for you...

My basket at Overclockers UK:
Total: £10,927.40 (includes shipping: £22.50)​

Soldato
This is just bad advice. He needs another 1080Ti for SLI, plus 64GB RAM. This will easily net an extra 5FPS, so it's a no-brainer. And a measly 1TB SSD?? Pfftt, come on, you can't get by in 2018 with any less than 4TB, and ideally x2 of them. He'll also need a meaty power supply and a cool case to show this all off. Oh, and watercool EVERYTHING, including the motherboard and RAM, which will only add about £1000, which is nothing when you want the best.

Can save a bit on the monitor though, just go with a 21.5" 1080p, you'll be good.

Here, I've made it easy for you...

My basket at Overclockers UK:
Total: £10,927.40 (includes shipping: £22.50)

Pfft,rank amateur!! That slow 4TB SSD is only useful for pr0n and word documents. Normal NAND=instafail. SATA=utterly slow. Who needs it,since Optane is here!

I heard SATA SSDs are so slow that even minesweeper takes at least 0.00001 seconds to load. Not good enough for the gamer with games to play.

You need at least a pair of these in RAID 0 for just Windows:
https://www.overclockers.co.uk/inte...e-drive-with-m.2-cable-adaptor-hd-08m-in.html

Then a pair of these in RAID 0 just for games:
https://www.overclockers.co.uk/inte...-nvme-3.0-x4-solid-state-drive-hd-08t-in.html

That 5.3GHZ CPU runs very hot I heard,so just to be safe use this temporary cooler until the custom water cooling turns up:

https://www.overclockers.co.uk/ek-w...mm-all-in-one-cpu-water-cooler-bu-00x-ek.html

I heard Intel suggests an air conditioner for cooling,but OcUK don't sell those! :(

Also you forgot the keyboard and mouse. These should do the trick:

https://www.overclockers.co.uk/asus...ry-mx-brown-switches-uk-layout-kb-03h-as.html
https://www.overclockers.co.uk/raze...aming-mouse-rz01-01360100-r3g1-kb-101-ra.html

I chose them since the pictures had the brightest RGB - no RGB means you are instantly fail at gaming.

Last edited:
Soldato
Pfft,rank amateur!! That slow 4TB SSD is only useful for pr0n and word documents. Normal NAND=instafail. SATA=utterly slow. Who needs it,since Optane is here!

I heard SATA SSDs are so slow that even minesweeper takes at least 0.00001 seconds to load. Not good enough for the gamer with games to play.

You need at least a pair of these in RAID 0 for just Windows:
https://www.overclockers.co.uk/inte...e-drive-with-m.2-cable-adaptor-hd-08m-in.html

Then a pair of these in RAID 0 just for games:
https://www.overclockers.co.uk/inte...-nvme-3.0-x4-solid-state-drive-hd-08t-in.html

That 5.3GHZ CPU runs very hot I heard,so just to be safe use this temporary cooler until the custom water cooling turns up:

https://www.overclockers.co.uk/ek-w...mm-all-in-one-cpu-water-cooler-bu-00x-ek.html

I heard Intel suggests an air conditioner for cooling,but OcUK don't sell those! :(

Also you forgot the keyboard and mouse. These should do the trick:

https://www.overclockers.co.uk/asus...ry-mx-brown-switches-uk-layout-kb-03h-as.html
https://www.overclockers.co.uk/raze...aming-mouse-rz01-01360100-r3g1-kb-101-ra.html

I chose them since the pictures had the brightest RGB - no RGB means you are instantly fail at gaming.

Temps are more than fine. All depends what you're using it for.

Soldato
Err.. no my advice was 100% spot on, you are just being silly with that suggestion.

:D

I see a distinct lack of RGB in both your suggestions. That means mine are instantly better....and brighter.

"The sarcasm detector, oh that's a REAL useful invention!"

What there is sarcasm in this thread....this all is honest and wholesome good advice!

Soldato
This is an easy question to answer(serious mode this time).

No,since if you include anything with an oldish engine which is very CPU limited which has not been patched for Ryzen,even a stock clocked Core i5 8400 or Core i7 8700 will probably be faster,when it comes to minimums. Examples include games like Fallout 4,in more CPU taxing areas.

Anything based on newer engines will probably fine(for the most part) on any reasonably new CPU with enough threads.

7NM Ryzen is unlikely to be released next year and if AMD does keep to its one year cadence which it hinted at,then it would be at least April 2019 until we see the Ryzen 3000 series,unless they surprise people by managing to pull the release forward!!

Back
Top Bottom