Is an MG ZR a bad decision?

Associate
Hey,

So I need a car asap and there's an MG ZR '03 2.0 TDI 115 at the garage I go to for £1k.
Its got 55k on the clock and seems to run well during a wee test drive.
I'm looking at the paper work tomorrow to see if there are any info in the advisory section on the MOT sheet (could make or break the decision).

I have been hearing rubbish about them ever since this morning and I don't know what to make of all the negative comments that then seem to get balanced out with people that have had no issues.

I'm not overly concerned about looks or anything, all I know is I'm not able to spend a ton of cash and this is already listed at £1350 but I got the guy to agree to £1k if I get it.
Its been serviced for all its visits at this garage (who I've used forever and are very trust worth people) so has been looked after to a good standard.

So, with all your knowledge and wisdom, what should I do?

Plus point is its pretty cheap on insurance!

Thanks guys

Soldato
I have a ZS and its a great car for pratting about in if you don't mind a complete lack of refinement and you enjoy 90s technology. The ZR is pretty pants in comparison, nothing to redeem itself at all.

Caporegime
MG Rover went bust for a reason, cars like that ZR are one of the many reasons for it.

I'd wager a £1k Focus / Mondeo would be ,most likely, a better bet.

Whilst you may not get one with an 03 plate (perhaps you would mind you) equally, I doubt it would be such relatively low mileage - 55k is,to my mind, suspiciously low mileage for a 10 year old car - that said, either would be a world better than the ZR.

No, I'm no fan of MG Rovers, neither was most of the rest of the buying public.

It may be a great example - But, a great example of what ,when new, was pretty poor compared to its competitors.

Buying a car in a hurry is a minefield, rarely would the first thing in budget turn out the ideal option in the long term.

Last edited:
Soldato
That's basically a Rover 220SDi isn't it? With the old bomb proof L-Series? If so and you don't care about looks, just get a Rover 220 for £500 and scrap it when it falls to bits, the engine will last forever though.

When I worked for an insurer up until last year the MG-ZR always seemed to be horrifically expensive to insure for what it is, even compared to the Rover 200 Series.

Man of Honour
MG Rover went bust for a reason, cars like that ZR are one of the many reasons for it.

No, I'm no fan of MG Rovers, neither was most of the rest of the buying public.
m.

I believe that when new the ZR was one of the best selling, if not the best selling, 'hot/warm' hatch in the uk.

Soldato

Mainly Because BMW pillaged everything that was good and sold them off with only the older cars left.

ZR is an older car updated, drives well and the diesel engine is almost bombproof.

If it is in good nick, £1k doesn't seem excessive. Most people who trash them do thru hearsay and assumption. There is a good spares network and plenty of second hand parts available cheaply due to the numbers sold.

I have owned 25's and 45's and a ZS180, the ZS killed 2 engines but that was my fault not checking the oil on a company car, the others were pretty reliable.

The diesel is very tunable as well, good for 150-160 bhp.

Last edited:
Associate
the funny thing about the MG/Rovers is that they usually sail through MOT's with minimal fuss, it was their already mentioned lack of refinement and dodgy petrol engines that gave them a bad name. The diesel will be just fine, and as already said, very tunable, although its not exactly quiet even for a diesel. Should be a solid enough buy, even if not exactly cheap.

Soldato
As old mechanically injected oil burners go, the L series is an excellent engine; very reliable with pretty decent performance. Handling on the ZR is reasonable, though not as good as the larger ZS which is effectively a Honda Civic underneath. Interior design is pretty mediocre, but at least they don't tend to self destruct like old French hatchbacks.

On the face of it, it's not hugely cheap but then again there's hardly any left with that sort of mileage. That should make you suspicious of course, so check that the wear on the seat bolsters, carpet, pedal rubbers etc. is consistent with a 55k mile car, not a 155k mile one. If it comes with service history and previous MOTs make sure they tie in.

Caporegime
Most people who trash them do thru hearsay and assumption

I'm trashing them as my sister had an 03 plate ZR from new, it was unreliable and horrid to drive, her previous 220SLi ironically was faultless in the years she owned it - she traded it in for the ZR & regretted it.

Roll forward 9ish years and a workmate had a ZR Diesel, again, lots of issues with it (despite it only having a genuine 75k on it) and it was in his local garage for a while due to a spare part shortage - I don't recall what the part was mind you - He struggled to sell his over a year ago for £700 despite it only being 2 owners from new with FSH.

I don't hate all Rovers! - The 75 for example is still a nice car, but the 25 / ZR is bloody awful imo!

Caporegime
As old mechanically injected oil burners go, the L series is an excellent engine; very reliable with pretty decent performance. Handling on the ZR is reasonable, though not as good as the larger ZS which is effectively a Honda Civic underneath. Interior design is pretty mediocre, but at least they don't tend to self destruct like old French hatchbacks.

On the face of it, it's not hugely cheap but then again there's hardly any left with that sort of mileage. That should make you suspicious of course, so check that the wear on the seat bolsters, carpet, pedal rubbers etc. is consistent with a 55k mile car, not a 155k mile one. If it comes with service history and previous MOTs make sure they tie in.

Which Honda Civic is the ZS based on? MB6?

Permabanned
Family member had an MG ZT - luckily escaped HGF but had oil leaks which Rover could not rectify despite numerous trips to the garage. Was eventually refunded after a tedious year-long dispute.

Soldato
They're pretty much the same cars. I had a 1.6L Rover 25, which was actually faster than the typical ZR 105's :D Still sucked though.

The suspension springs, roll bars and dampers were completely re-worked, and toe/camber/castor changed before the launch of the ZR, superficially the same only.

How did you measure the performance difference? Traffic light GP? All the quoted figures favour the ZR.

Soldato
Well, I guess I better give my 2p. :p

I've never been a fan of the ZR, as I'm simply too portly (I'm a fat b****** :p ) to fit in one comfortably. I also feel build quality was always a little poor.

Apart from that, mechanically the car is excellent. If parts were unavailable for any reason the garage being used either had rubbish suppliers, or couldn't be bothered to look properly. I stock every major engine / transmission / ancillary part for them and supply many garages now.

I'd much rather have a ZS diesel (did so for 2 years, only things that went wrong were due to poor maintenance) but providing you can fit in the ZR and like the drive, there's no real reason not to own one.

Common issues:
TPS wiring behind the front bumper sometimes rubs through - couple of hours to remove bumper, patch up wires and replace.
Boot loom wiring can chafe - remove the rubber gaitor over the wiring from the car to boot and re-insulate the wires individually.
Build quality - it'll literally rain trim if you go down a bumpy road :p I kid, but re-secure any loose trim properly and you shouldn't have an issue. Door grab handle covers and sun visors seem common things that need re-securing.

On the plus, parts are cheap as anything.

Last edited:
Soldato
The suspension springs, roll bars and dampers were completely re-worked, and toe/camber/castor changed before the launch of the ZR, superficially the same only.

How did you measure the performance difference? Traffic light GP? All the quoted figures favour the ZR.

Parkers would suggest the 25 has slightly more BHP and faster 0-60. You're right though, the difference is pretty marginal and the 1.4 105 engine is pretty good considering.

Back
Top Bottom