Is anyone an Account Exec/Account Manager?

Consigliere
Hi all,

As topic really...just wondered if you could shed a bit of light on your day to day and if I could have a chat.

From what I know of the role and reading job specs, I feel like this would be a perfect step for me.

But it would be good to speak to someone who has done the role or currently does it.

Cheers

Soldato
So I don't do either role, but I work very closely with account managers and my role (product manager) often crosses over.

In my experience, the best account managers are the one that's establish and maintain relationships with their clients/customers. It isn't necessarily relevant if you don't have the technical skills, for example, as long as you can put them in touch with someone who can.

If you have any specific questions I could take a stab at answering them.

Consigliere
OP
So I don't do either role, but I work very closely with account managers and my role (product manager) often crosses over.

In my experience, the best account managers are the one that's establish and maintain relationships with their clients/customers. It isn't necessarily relevant if you don't have the technical skills, for example, as long as you can put them in touch with someone who can.

If you have any specific questions I could take a stab at answering them.

Thanks for replying. :)

I understand the basic parts of the role and it appeals to me. In previous roles, I have enjoyed bringing people together, creating relationships, working together with new people towards XYZ.

In your experience of working very closely with account managers, are there specific soft skills that stand out? I assume organised, personable, strong work ethic, ability to explain something in multiple ways depending on your client?

Is there anything perhaps like, a qualification that could set me apart? I was quite senior in my previous role (operations in retail) so I feel I have a lot of transferable skills but I want to ensure the right ones stand out. I am looking to take a step down and redevelop basically.

I read a degree in Psychology could help and I do have this.

Soldato
Thanks for replying. :)

I understand the basic parts of the role and it appeals to me. In previous roles, I have enjoyed bringing people together, creating relationships, working together with new people towards XYZ.

In your experience of working very closely with account managers, are there specific soft skills that stand out? I assume organised, personable, strong work ethic, ability to explain something in multiple ways depending on your client?

Is there anything perhaps like, a qualification that could set me apart? I was quite senior in my previous role (operations in retail) so I feel I have a lot of transferable skills but I want to ensure the right ones stand out. I am looking to take a step down and redevelop basically.

I read a degree in Psychology could help and I do have this.

Sorry I didn’t get back to you. Honestly, with the soft skills I think you hit the nail on the head. Relationships, being personable, and organisation are the ones that stand out to me. But, you need a strong grasp of the technical of whatever product you’re selling.

I don’t know about qualifications honestly! Sorry

Soldato
A good account manager to me is someone who is relentlessly positive/pro-active/plan orientated. Even if everyone around you has "other things to do". You can't 'count' on anyone and frankly shouldn't - from the point of view of driving the relationship hard and delivering the best outcome for a Customer.

Working with one now who won't let me slip on what needs to happen.

Soldato
They're being renamed "customer success manager" in a lot of places at the moment. Same thing. You look after clients/ customers. Make sure they keep paying you and that you can upsell them on **** to solve their problems etc. Depends on the business though as well; if it's products vs. services in the business, some people in this role then have more of a feedback into product and how customers would like things.

Ev0

Ev0

Soldato
They're being renamed "customer success manager" in a lot of places at the moment.

We've had a global rejig of things at the moment and the CSM role is now a big part of the go to market strategy.

They are designed in this instance to be a bit closer to the customer on the technology side than the more general/salesy client execs.

Consigliere
OP
Sorry I didn’t get back to you. Honestly, with the soft skills I think you hit the nail on the head. Relationships, being personable, and organisation are the ones that stand out to me. But, you need a strong grasp of the technical of whatever product you’re selling.

I don’t know about qualifications honestly! Sorry

Good to know i am on the right track so thank you. :)

A good account manager to me is someone who is relentlessly positive/pro-active/plan orientated. Even if everyone around you has "other things to do". You can't 'count' on anyone and frankly shouldn't - from the point of view of driving the relationship hard and delivering the best outcome for a Customer.

Working with one now who won't let me slip on what needs to happen.

Noted on this too so thank you.

They're being renamed "customer success manager" in a lot of places at the moment. Same thing. You look after clients/ customers. Make sure they keep paying you and that you can upsell them on **** to solve their problems etc. Depends on the business though as well; if it's products vs. services in the business, some people in this role then have more of a feedback into product and how customers would like things.

I had spotted this and thought they kinda looked account manager esque but wasn't sure...good to know so thank you also!

Soldato
Account Manager is quite a broad term and even in the same industry, the responsibilities of an Accountant Manager can differ substantially to another Account Manager at a different business.

For example, I know of AM roles where you have zero expectation to manage the profit delivery of your account and you're just required to bring in volume. At our business, Account Managers are required to manage the bottom line too.

I've held Account Executive to Snr Account Manager roles for 10 years before being promoted into a different team, where I still work closely with Account Managers. The best AM are those that are driven and can develop and articulate plans both internally (sign off on investment plans, bring in other functions to support delivery) and externally (getting buy in from the customer).

Building relationships, P&L management and project management are key skills. I personally relied on advanced Excel and PowerPoint skills but that's not critical, I know plenty of successful AMs whose office skills are quite poor.

The best Account managers are the ones that can answer the question "where do you want to take this account in the next 3 years and how do you want to achieve that?".

Soldato
Yeah, it's a very broad term that can cover a raft of different roles from being very sales focused to being client retention focused, or both, depending on where you work.

The last place I worked at Service Improvement Managers reported into Account Managers.

Not that it was a good model TBH, pie in the sky promises by the very senior managers to clients then the Account Managers were effectively trouble shooters clinging desperately to contracts that were commercially 'ambitious'.

Back
Top Bottom