Is applying for two jobs at the same company weird?

Associate
Hi All,

I've found myself in a position where I'm about to be redundant...at some point (that's a story for another day)

I've come across a company which is within the same industry and has two job roles available, both of which I think I would enjoy, however is it weird writing a cover letter for two job roles?

It's been ~5 years since I last applied for a job so not sure if I should just pick the one which is slightly more desirable, or write it for both?

Any advice would be great!

Cheers

Swain90

Caporegime
nah it is fine usually, presumably they're both similar-ish roles?

though I hope these are direct applications - if you've gone via a recruiter for one or via two different recruiters for each then you could have issues

Man of Honour
It would rightly or wrongly make me question whether the candidate really has a clear vision of what they want to do, or if they are just applying for all and sundry.

Associate
OP
Cover letter is currently 3 paragraphs, 1st is how generally awesome I am, 2nd is tailored around job 1 and 3rd is tailored around job 2. These applications are direct with the company.

Soldato
If they're fairly similar sure, if one is as an engineer and the other is a marketing administrator, then they'll think you've got no idea what you want and are treating it as a stop gap.

Caporegime
It would rightly or wrongly make me question whether the candidate really has a clear vision of what they want to do, or if they are just applying for all and sundry.

surely that depends on whether the roles are sufficiently similar or not... I mean if both jobs require a java developer albeit for different teams and the OP is a java developer and really likes the company then it isn't unreasonable to apply to both java developer positions

though the OP does need to consider that he won't necessarily get a choice... it isn't uncommon for internal politics to apply and someone to be rejected for one role and accepted for the other (even if an offer could have ostensibly been put forth for both) simply because the hiring managers have come to a deal and one really wants the candidate... then again this can happen even if applying for one role as HR will sometimes forward CVs to other hiring managers too

Last edited:
Man of Honour
Fair comment (I'm currently recruiting two very similar roles and it would be logical for some candidates to apply for both), I was thinking more of different roles.

Soldato

It's a fair point, but i would suspect for most people it's not about finding a role that meets their exact level of skill, it's all about adapting to that role (assuming you also have the skills). You've also got to consider if you're coming from a position of redundancy then you can't be overly picky about it.

Man of Honour
That's kind of the point though, as an employer if someone is coming from a position of redundancy and not being overly picky then you wonder if they are really interested in the specific job or it is a case of any port in a storm - especially if they've applied from multiple different roles. What do they see themselves doing in the medium term? It may make sense to the candidate but the employer may have reservations about their longer term aspirations i.e. they just want to get any job to tide them over and then they will line up something more strategic.

Soldato
Between myself and managers of other departments at work, we get CVs through from people who could fit in design, production or project management all the time.

Mine is a medium firm where we all know each other, so I often bounce CVs off other managers in case they're interested. We also receive applications from people punting at multiple roles, and personally this hasn't put me off interviewing. If the roles are similar enough or you can demonstrate aptitude and experience in both areas if they are significantly different, then apply for both.

Back
Top Bottom