• Competitor rules

Please remember that any mention of competitors, hinting at competitors or offering to provide details of competitors will result in an account suspension. The full rules can be found under the 'Terms and Rules' link in the bottom right corner of your screen. Just don't mention competitors in any way, shape or form and you'll be OK.

is ati cards using less power and less noise since the ati 2900 tx

Associate
OP
The 4870 512MB seems to use about 50W less than the 2900 XT at load, but the idle power consumption is actually a little higher, although you can help to alleviate that by modifying the powerplay settings:

http://www.techpowerup.com/reviews/Diamond/HD_4870/21.html

Edit: It's worth noting that the 4890 is a bit more power friendly than the 4870 at idle.

looks like i can save myself 200 watts or more over my current set up (2 2900xt)
that will be less power and less noise...:D

Caporegime
Wouldn't be buying now, we're like, 2 days now from the new cards, assuming price gouging at first then price drops on the current 4870's might not be instant, but within a few weeks most the 4XXX series should drop even further in cost as people clear out stocks.

The new cards though, the 5870's etc, have fantastic Idle power usage (supposedly) the 4890 is supposed to be around 90W IIRC, the 5870, which uses a little more than a 4870 at load, only uses 29W at idle(again assuming specs are accurate and powerplay things work properly. Which means, a pretty decent power saving overall with a very slight power increase under load which most people won't be full load all the time.

Back
Top Bottom