Is blu-ray all you expected it to be?

Soldato
As hard as it is to believe, most people, regular viewers and such - are detail blind. True story. Most people don't see obvious things, like wrong aspect ratios, low bandwidth issues and pixelisation of terrestrial digital channels let alone more "settle" problems like bad standards conversions, ghosting, dropouts etc which drive a lot of us literally nuts. Most of those people watch Freeview ITV pixelotto most of the day, and when they finally switch channels to a very average, rather badly converted Sky movie channel they think it's as good as it gets. And in all honesty, on a rerun channel, going through cheapest Sky box to a budget line, few years old korean laggy LCD set to incorrectly letterbox and stretch 16:9 content on a "HD ready" screen, it probably actually is. As good as it gets for them.

So very very true, It amazes me what people are able to watch happily without seeing the obvious flaws.

I have VHS tapes that are better than some DVDs, I have DVDs that are better than some Blurays, it's all a mixed bag as usual. If however I compare my best Bluray vs my best DVD vs my best VHS there is an easy progression of quality and bluray is immensely good and not just the image either, the sound is a step up too and that's all on a cheap 5.1 bluray system from lg.

Don
One hugely annoying thing with blu ray, they seem to have more junk than ever before you get to the main menu screen. Obviously this is down to the release studios and not the format itself.

Soldato
all i have is dvd's.

seen one blue ray film and i could take it or leave it.

im more interested in the film more than the quality.

Man of Honour
Well everyone seems to have a HDTV nowadays, I see the massive things on everyones walls driving past houses. If these people are still watching dvds then more fool them.

Yes theres a very noticeable difference if you have a 46"+ tv and don't sit 2miles away from your tv. It's all about size and viewing difference.

Just because you have a large tv, doesn't mean you get a decent benefit. It's all about size vs distance and a lot of normall set ups dont deliver the appropriate number.

Not surprised DVDs still out sell. Few reasons, price, equipment and people like me who after getting about 4blu-rays skipped the format and gone digital.

Soldato
One hugely annoying thing with blu ray, they seem to have more junk than ever before you get to the main menu screen. Obviously this is down to the release studios and not the format itself.

Which is a shame because when they first started coming out the likes of Batman Begins and a couple of others went straight to the film, no menu, no trailers just film.

Soldato
I don't think Blu-rays will ever replace DVDs. by the time they get anywhere near there will be a new format.

They have completely replaced DVD's for me since PS3 came out, i haven't bought a DVD since, only blu-rays.

I'm confused as to why anybody with a HDTV(which is most people these days) would not use it to its full capabilities,

Associate
They have completely replaced DVD's for me since PS3 came out, i haven't bought a DVD since, only blu-rays.

I'm confused as to why anybody with a HDTV(which is most people these days) would not use it to its full capabilities,

As was said earlier. Not every BR blows their DVD counterpart away in terms of video quality. Not everybody cares about getting a film on BR for various reasons. Many cannot even notice the difference in quality. That with cost and BR isn't even considered.

Regarding HDTVs, they are just the standard now. Flat screen = saving space. The majority of consumers don't look at spec or are even aware that the PQ is much better than their old CRT.

I for one couldn’t care about the BR format. I am however happy with the way HD is progressing. HD content is fantastic. I just wish there was a way to skip all of those damn trailers/adverts.

Last edited:
Associate
As I watch all my Blurays (and DVDs) on my computer, I'd say Bluray has been a massive disappointment so far. Thanks to their strict DRM and license policy, there's still not a single good Bluray software player around. I have two things I want from such player, a) that it actually WORKS (which rules out most of the players) and b) I don't have to watch 10-15 minutes of ads to see the Bluray movie I paid 20-30 bucks to get (and this rules out rest of the players out).

At least VLC is doing something with Blurays now but it remains to be seen if they can finish the Bluray support.

Soldato
Well everyone seems to have a HDTV nowadays, I see the massive things on everyones walls driving past houses. If these people are still watching dvds then more fool them.

Most people can't be bothered. By the time they've educated themselves, bought the right stuff, spent the requisite amount of money on the right equipment just to ensure that they are watching something at the absolute best quality possibly imaginable the effort outweighs the enjoyment (except for the niche market who are a bit more irate / tech savvie and get pleasure from said effort)

It's actually possible to enjoy films on other levels beside picture quality.

Soldato
The scenes in Dark Knight shot on IMAX Cameras are insane. The quality is so much better than DVD its not even comparable.

Soldato
I think Bluray is fine and offers exactly what it said it would... HD Video with top notch sound.

I'd argue that DVD was the format that promised more but didn't deliver. Anyone else remember how much multi-angle was touted at launch? They tried to make out the way we watched films was going to change, but it was never going to work.

Soldato
Bluray is a bit of a fad ... A dead format indeed but it won't stop me buying my fav films on it just for that extra detail, the rest are downloaded or streamed and I think that's the main reason that Bluray isn't really needed to 99% of most people

Soldato
Bluray is a bit of a fad ... A dead format indeed but it won't stop me buying my fav films on it just for that extra detail, the rest are downloaded or streamed and I think that's the main reason that Bluray isn't really needed to 99% of most people

No, the main reason is that most people don't really see the advantage and extra expense over DVD.

Bluray has really grown, but unlike with DVD, people aren't going to replace their entire collections like the transition from VHS because the jump isn't as big, both in terms of the a/v experience and even more so the physical storage of tapes which also degrade.

Back
Top Bottom