Is car insurance just expensive for anyone remarkably young?

Soldato
I'm 31 next week and passed my test almost 6 years ago. Almost all that time I've had access to a car from someone I contract with (i.e. my "boss"). He's added me to the insurance and for one period I was the primary driver as he wasn't able to drive.

Every year I look at quotes to insure myself in that car and they're mental - Started out around £1300 and didn't change much at the 5 years/aged over 30 point. His quote with me included this year is about £300 but to insure myself would be £730. The ~£700 figure has been stable a few years.

This would make sense as the guy is 60+ but he's also had two drink-driving bans. I don't understand why it's half the price for him as it is for me - I'm not a new driver anymore.

Is it just **** for anyone under 40 or something?

Soldato
He'll have NCB which you don't because you've never had your own insurance. As someone insuring for the first time ever you'll probably also generate a higher risk profile despite your age. They've got no real indication of how much driving you've done. You could just as feasibly be someone who passed 6 years ago and hasn't been in a car since.

Associate
I'm 31 and pay just over £300 a year on a 3 year old hyundai i35. I've had 2 claims against me in my driving years but I think I have 5 years no claims at current. Even still its been around £400 the past few years and that was with having to still declaire an accident (first year I havent had to)

Man of Honour
I've just turned 30 passed my test in March and my insurance was a touch over £1.1k for a 1.4l astra, my bike on the other hand costs me about £90 for the year and is much more enjoyable.

Associate
I pay £350 a year for a golf gtd, I'm also 31. There are so many different factors which effect car insurance its impossible to compare with different people in different circumstances.

For example if you leave getting quotes until its due the price goes up a fair bit. I saved ~£50 getting quotes as soon as my renewal came through the door/inbox. I believe 21 days before is meant to be the sweet spot

Caporegime
I'm pretty sure postcode, job title and probably the fact that you don't ever seem to have had your own insurance (and thus no NCD) will be making the biggest difference.

I pay £300~ for my S3 and £250~ for the TT. The wife pays around £350 for her Polo, but she's only been driving 4 years.

Soldato
Depends hugely on the car too, I'm 37 and it'll cost me £480 or so to insure a 245bhp 3.0l AWD car, I have zero NCB as I've not had a car for a while. The difference being that the car is a 12 year old estate that's not regularly driven/crashed by younger drivers :D

With a couple of years NCB I expect that to drop down to close to £300 a year. I have had my license nearly 17 years too.

Caporegime
I pay 190 for my Saab 9-5 (270BHP) (5 Year NCD) and 360 on a modified policy for my GT-Four (10 Year NCD). I am getting old now (32) and live in the country side where nothing remotley interesting ever happens.

Missus pays 180 for her Suzuki Ignis Sport with 4 Years NCD.

Was talking to lad about cars who had an interview for an engineering aprentership and he was paying £150 and month for a MK1 MX5!!

Soldato
My son who is 24 insured his then new to him golf gti for 880 with no NCD. Told him it must have been a glitch, will be interesting to see what his renewal quote comes in at.

My 335i costs I think 660 for the year, I’m an old bugger with a crap load of NCD :D

Soldato
OP
I think based on all of the above, I must be being penalised for living in Zone 3 London!

I even did an estimate for when I move house - onto a little close off a side road, no through traffic, our own driveway... £30 cheaper. :o

The irony is I've had no claims and the only collision I ever had was a minicab merging into my rear wheel from a turn-only lane. Just have to take the hit and build up NCD I guess

Soldato
Wow it seems to vary so much, I paid 1200 at 23 for a 911, then it's dropped since then. The last 5 or 6 years (I'm 32 now) have been under 500 quid (for a 'normal 911, then a 911 turbo) both in the hugest 'old style'style' group. I'm a bit annoyed that going to an m3 had made it go up by 100 quid for a slower car lol.

Soldato
Mine will never drop much because I live a bad city up North. 7 years no claims, no points or fines etc and I’m paying around £750 again. Year before around £850 year before that £900. These are on a Focus ST225 and now a Mondeo ST220. Yes i shop around every year and could get it slightly cheaper with a rubbish company but I like to be with a reputable company.
I’m due for renewal in March when i will hopefully hit the magic 8yrs which is supposed to offer a great discount some say up to 75% but I’m not holding my breath

Back
Top Bottom