Is it normal for the new WD drives to click

Soldato
I have read it is and I have sent a brand new WD gold drive back for clicking, even though it was working totally fine.

I have just bought a 10tb wd red drive and its doing the exact same thing, clicking every few seconds, but everything reports fine and working fine also. I think that I am going to risk it and keep the drive this time.

tDoIvuJ.jpg

Permabanned
Yes and if you go on WD forum you will see plenty of threads on topic.

Many RMA'd their HDD's duo to it thinking there were faulty but it is a feature now and I think WD finally said what it is and what it does after a lot of unresolved threads with a lot of BS answers or guessing what it was.

Older drives make this noise when they were failing and error correction was trying to read bad sectors and it would keep trying.

I got rid of two Red PRO due to it (new) and went back to older RED's even at idle they were louder than my Velociraptors.

https://support-en.wd.com/app/answers/detail/a_id/14842

Last edited:
Soldato
OP
I bought the red non pro just because of the slower rpm, to save a bit of power. But the clicking is more annoying then anything else, but this one does stop clicking when the drive hasnt been accessed for a few mins, unlike my gold drive, that clicked all the time.

Associate
I have a Samsung F3 from September 2009 that's been clicking away happily for over 10 years now, and a couple of other drives that click.

I worried about it failing for ages, but it never has. Of course, that doesn't mean clicking adds longevity... but it doesn't seem to be an indicator of failure either

Permabanned
It is however bad sectors than can grow, error correction seem to be doing it job for now but I would not keep them.

That is a totally different reason for to the new HDD's ticking and probably would not be using 10 year old drives as they must be slow.

Kei

Kei

Soldato
I bought a 4TB & 6TB ultrastar (DC HC310 built in Nov 2018) earlier this year and cant say I've noticed any clicking from either of them. They make the normal seeking noises in use but nothing like as loud as my old Raptor 74.

Back
Top Bottom