Is it now worth moving from plasma to something LED?

Caporegime
My TV is ancient.
Its an old Panasonic gt30 46 plasma

I don't really have a problem with it. So does seem wasteful to upgrade. But it does guzzle the power too.

Completely lost in TV land now.

Qd-oled
Qled
Oled
So many models.

One thing I will say is I don't like a lot of LED tvs I see. I don't always know what they are (other peoples kit) but they make some films look terrible.
I'm also very susceptible to soap opera effect. I see it instantly and I absolutely hate it. This is when the motion looks too smooth. I believe its due to interpolation? But may be wrong.

I often also think the characters on the TV are almost "separate" from the background. And look, I can only describe it as, hyper real. Best analogy is when a cartoon has a bright door because it's going to move. You can tell its not same as background.
New CGI animation is fine. Its older films/TV that looks off.

Granted these tvs are probably not set up properly and just out of the box but I am wary.

I think most of the content I watch tends to be animated or "dark" so the original oled was very tempting. I know QLED is not far off. But for blacks (pure black) OLED is still best?

I'd be looking at 55+ as a size

I have an old yamaha AV paired with monitor audio silver RX 5.0 setup and a bk xxls sub. The av is 1080p but I'd rather not upgrade that.

Now here is the thing that might make this pointless. I consume everything through chromecast->av->tv. Netflix 90pc of the time, YouTube, channel 4, and games 10pc of the time.
No sky, not even BBC/freeview.

Are there any decent buys around 1k mark or is it a bit pointless with my old audio setup and viewing content?

Last edited:
This article describes EXACTLY what I feel when I see this.

It is common for a new TV’s picture to leave an unsettling impression after purchasing. Actors and objects are clearly visible against the background – almost as if someone had literally glued them there.

The flow is also extremely smooth, with no stuttering at all. This is referred to as the soap opera effect. When it comes to high-quality TV series and movies, this is especially true.

We are redecorating our main lounge so have moved back into the snug with A Pioneer KRP-600 Kuro. Whilst still a fantastic TV our 65 inch LG blows it away in everything (apart from sound, But Sonos has sorted that)
Ah the legendary kuro. Those went for silly money for years after plasma weren't made anymore.

How do LG have so many models!

S95b has issues with laggy OS and bent panels out of the box. Still a good TV overall.

It's always a waiting game with better tvs year on year. Oled tvs a great now so get one if you want one.

I have a C9 from 3 years ago and the quality still amazes me.
I upgrade my TV so infrequently (I mean I've only. Bought 1 TV and I'm 37) it's probably worth waiting for absolute best?
Damn. That first tv is 11 years old. Panny Gt30

Its annoying as that Sony is (really) too expensive. As it seems to be gold standard. And yeah looks like bad reviews for Samsung are quality.

If I use chromecast, does the OS even matter?

Last edited:

HDTV Test looked at this a couple of years ago now. The TLDW is that OLED is better, on balance, than Plasma. There's maybe still an argument in favour of Plasma for fringe use cases (e.g. mainly watching SD content), but the moment you start looking at 4K HDR content, Plasma is left for dust.

I'm making the move from a Panasonic PZ81 (from 2008!) to an LG C1. Delivery due on Saturday. At £799 for a 55" set, I couldn't resist. Same situation - there's nothing wrong with my current TV, but I had the upgrade itch. I can't wait to try out some 4K HDR content.

If I have little HD content (I mean paying for Netflix HD is the best I'm going to get) is an upgrade much less worth it?

Remember this is 1k+ (probably +) of an outlay.

I bet sd content would look garbage on a 77. Probably on 65 too

Ideally I'd move to a 65. Would probably wall mount in that case too.

Last edited:
I know it's a terrible way to judge. But is it worth going into a John Lewis or something just to view? I know (and its annoying) that the environment is super bright. But worth a visit?

Bought one of those plug in energy monitors as was curious as to how much the 42 inch plasma is drawing. Wish I hadn’t.

Watching some ice hockey so a lot of white/bright on the screen and it’s pulling 400 watts
Yeah same! Amazing how much difference it costs to watch a dark horror vs a Disney animation like frozen!

Having both a sony 65" Oled & sony 65" QD-Oled in the house the colours on the QD-Oled are far better
Which is making me very much looking at upgrading the 65" OLED to an QD-Oled as i hate looking at the duller colours on my OLED now compared to my QD-Oled

Am waiting to see what new QD-Oled improvements come out this year
Video link - Samsung Display launch the 2nd Generation of QD OLED at CES 2023
Seeing as I keep my tvs so long I think I'll wait and see what qd oled brings. Maybe the Sony will come down enough to justify

@413x

I got my LG C1 on Saturday. Absolutely zero regrets. 4K HDR content is absolutely stunning on it! The thing that really jumps out to me is the highlights - night and day difference compared to Plasma. People talk about OLED black levels as the remarkable thing, but I think most of them are coming from LCD.

But I will caveat my enthusiasm with two things. Firstly, I haven't watched any broadcast TV with the set. I don't even have an aerial any more. I have absolutely no idea how well (or otherwise) upscaling works. And secondly, the soap opera effect is very noticeable to my eyes. Hopefully this can be remedied by tweaking the settings.

Overall though, Plasma to a modern OLED is a generational leap. No question about it. The OLED can display details and colours which would be missing or muted on the old Panasonic set.
Still love my 60ZT65 it must be 7 years old or so now and still looks fantastic for games and TV/Movies and is very forgiving on source content I never seem to have issues with lower bitrate content and dark scenes :) motion is near perfect and I've still no burn in :)

This is probably my biggest concern.

That my 'poor' source material (best ill get is Netflix premium) will look scratchy on these big, high res screens.

I'm aware plasma is forgiving on tat.

I'm sure most people have Netflix.
Is Netflix top tier good enough on these tvs?

Netflix Premium looks excellent, as do Disney+ and Amazon Prime Video. Cbeebies aside (which also looks fine), that's most of our viewing.

Not sure about the other catch-up apps as we don't use them often.
Thanks for this. This is all I really use anyway.
F1 is only other thing I watch on c4. And it looks terrible regardless of the TV!

Not sure if its been covered but you will need to upgrade your yam reciever if your using it as a hdmi switcher, I had an older RXV 673 that I had to replace when I went to 4k, it just displayed a black screen

Apparently I won't need to if Netflix works with TV as an app? Rather than plugging hdmis into the av can use the TV?

Not sure how control Netflix on TV though vs chrome cast

I thought I'd have to as well.

Last edited:
Been watching a few reviews. Looks like a good version of the s95b is the winner.
The Sony is the best but not if you include the cost factor.

I will keep a look out on the complaints but the s95b does look impressive

Can someone elaborate on dolby vision (or lack there of) and if this is important when looking at tvs over 1k?

Looks like. Netflix uses DV and Samsung has hdr10+. Maybe Netflix will get hdr10+ content and it will be fine? :D

Last edited:
Only really concerned with Netflix.
But I agree maybe it's better to wait for a better priced offering with DV?

Although obviously not as dramatic as hddvd and bluray these proprietary aspects are annoying for consumers.

I assume DV is a like a proprietary hdr?

Last edited:
OK, although maybe not as deal breaking as hddvd and blu Ray it does seem it would be crazy to buy a TV with just one of these formats if the one you get goes the way of hddvd

Just read a good source which brought me fully up to speed.

Sony... Only DV & HDR10
Samsung... But only HDR10 & HDR10+

Last edited:
Back
Top Bottom