Is it ok to be proud to be white?

Don
you are not allowed to be proud to be white, male or straight these days

well that's not actually correct, you are supposed to be ashamed of being any (or all) of them

In reality I would never say I am proud to be white but for no reason other than it's what you are and not something you have achieved

Man of Honour
At the very least, it would be really weird. I'm not proud of being white. I don't really think in terms of race at all, actually.

You can be proud of your achievements in spite of your race, I guess? A crap example but, say, Eminem being proud how far he has come despite being white (when rap music was dominated by non-white artists). Not really the same thing, and in any case I don't think that applies to many white British people.

Soldato
I would link to Louis CK but it probably contains swearies. But he said that if he got an option to reup, he would always be a western white male as its like living life on cheat mode.

Its not about being proud of the colour of your skin its about being proud of your culture and heritage.

Caporegime
you are not allowed to be proud to be white, male or straight these days

well that's not actually correct, you are supposed to be ashamed of being any (or all) of them

In reality I would never say I am proud to be white but for no reason other than it's what you are and not something you have achieved
Ashamed and guilty.

You're supposed to feel guilty for being white and/or male. Doubly so if you're middle-aged. And if you're straight on top of that you're basically stealing candy from babies.

We're supposed to feel collective guilt for (allegedly) having everything just handed to us. And also for historical crimes and injustices. It is all our fault, collectively, regardless of how long ago it happened.

And what's more - it's OK to hate us and blame us for everything.

But the above is only true if you read the Guardian and find yourself nodding along as you do so ;)

Caporegime
At the very least, it would be really weird. I'm not proud of being white. I don't really think in terms of race at all, actually.

You can be proud of your achievements in spite of your race, I guess? A crap example but, say, Eminem being proud how far he has come despite being white (when rap music was dominated by non-white artists). Not really the same thing, and in any case I don't think that applies to many white British people.
It's funny how context changes everything.

Nobody would bat an eyelid if you had said, "I'm proud of being black." It would not have connotations of racial superiority. Instead it would elicit feelings of self-respect, overcoming the odds, etc.

If a person says, "I'm proud of being white" then immediately the suspicion is that that person holds feelings of racial superiority.

It's just how it is. I think it's really obvious why this is the case (once you apply context), but it's worth pointing out regardless.

Caporegime
I don’t have any qualms with people being proud about it as long as they aren’t harming anyone else.

For myself, pride comes from things I’ve done, not something I was born with or into.
Dear Diary,

Very concerned that I'm agreeing with Ayahuasca.

Pretty strong bait from RD there, though! That's tremendous, great energy, many such cases! We

Man of Honour
It's funny how context changes everything.

Nobody would bat an eyelid if you had said, "I'm proud of being black." It would not have connotations of racial superiority. Instead it would elicit feelings of self-respect, overcoming the odds, etc.

If a person says, "I'm proud of being white" then immediately the suspicion is that that person holds feelings of racial superiority.

It's just how it is. I think it's really obvious why this is the case (once you apply context), but it's worth pointing out regardless.
I suppose it's because white people face, on the whole, less adversity than other races do. For what it's worth, I think "I'm proud of being black" has to be interpreted in the context of how it's said and what's being said before and after.

Associate
You're allowed to be proud of whatever you are, as long as it's not straight, white, British and/or male.

Is it that your not allowed ?

Or that simply being proud of being average or the norm is frankly a bit strange.

Back
Top Bottom