1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Is it ok to power a GPU using dual 6+2 pin off one cable?

Discussion in 'Power Supplies' started by Jon20, Dec 6, 2018 at 4:26 PM.

1. Jon20

Hitman

I’ve just purchased a EVGA 2070 XC. My PSU is a Seasonic 550w Focus+ Platinum. The GPU requires a 8 pin and a 6 pin. I haven’t been using a GPU that has required extra power recently so had a look at what cables there were. There’s only the one PCIe cable that has dual 6+2 pin connectors. Is it ok to just use the one cable for both connections?

2. pastymuncher

Man of Honour

It will be fine.

3. Acme

Caporegime

It will be fine but I tend to use one per cable if I can, just cos it makes me feel better. Lol

4. Jon20

Hitman

Thanks both. I normally use a cable per connection so wasn’t entirely sure if it would be ok.

5. andy_mk3

Sgarrista

My EVGA 1080 won't boot off one cable, I have to use two.

6. Jon20

Hitman

Do the cables have a standard wiring configuration? It’s not really something I’ve ever looked in to. I think I have another Seasonic PSU in the spares box but didn’t want to try one of the cables for that, if they don’t. Just in case it doesn’t boot.

7. Radox-0

Wise Guy

I am powering my 1080Ti's off a single branching cable to each GPU with 0 issues (HXi 1200 does not have enough spare PCIe for 3 GPU's) and have been for a few months while my AX1600i cables get sleeved.

I know some people have seen fractionally better overclock's apparently with a pair of cables to each GPU but no real big difference.

8. Jon20

Hitman

Just to add, I sent a email to Seasonic not long after posting this thread, just wondering if they would be able to supply another PCIe cable. Had a reply back, seems as though they are updating the cable set that comes with the Focus Plus range and are going to be including 2 PCIe cables instead of the 1 that splits in to two 6+2 pin. Have just had to send a proof of purchase and address and they'll send one out to me. Great customer service.

9. Seasonic Rep

Associate

You are welcome :)

10. Acme

Caporegime

Awesome stuff! :)