Is it possible to cut your own hair? (Short back and sides)

Soldato
Im wondering, is it possible to cut your own hair (short back and sides) possibly with the aid of someone on hand.

Reason being is that I really need my haircut but during the week I really havnt got time to go to the local.

My style is pretty simples really, short back and sides, the top just needs trimming, over time I do end up growing a fringe but i usually get this cut off when I have my hair chopped.

Could this be done?

Would like to know if anyone else attempts to cut their own hair (no shaved heads as thats **** easy, i used to do that all the time when i had a skin head :) )

Commissario
I have a friend at uni that cuts his own hair all the time and does a good job of it, so it's certainly possible but be aware that you can make irreversible mistakes!

Soldato
OP
What styles do they have though? Grudas im assuming you just have a simple cut, just clippers all over?

I would need the clippers on the back and sides, then scisscors to cut some off the top.

Associate
My dad does it all the time.

Sometimes you may need someone else to just make sure the edges are straight if you just want short back and sides but that's it.

Soldato
yup just clippers all over.. with scissors i think u'll have problems.. if you really in the rush use one size what's the biggest? 30mm? all around and it'll be fine.. or have a "bad hair day" ;]

Soldato
good luck :) my first time was good.. the 2nd time i ended up using different size... managed to break the comb i was using.. just make sure you go a few times on the same place.. not just once...

Man of Honour
It's not at all hard to do and sometimes people don't even comment that you've obviously done it yourself. ;) All you need is a set of clippers, a couple of mirrors helps when you need to see the back and some time.

Soldato
OP
Just a quick one on the clippers side, the back and sides, just choose required fitting and clip upwards and outwards making sure its the same level all the way round?

also do you think I should do the trimming of the hair ontop first or the clipping on the back and sides??

Last edited:
Man of Honour
Just a quick one on the clippers side, the back and sides, just choose required fitting and clip upwards and outwards making sure its the same level all the way round?

I always go against the direction of hair growth so that I get an even length of hair which means essentially you want to start from the outside and work in towards the crown of the head. Remember though that you need to go over the crown to avoid leaving tufts of hair and don't assume that one pass of the clippers will get all the hair.

Back
Top Bottom