Is it time for a change

Associate
Sorry I'm going to ramble its my age. :p
I'm soon going to be replacing my current system with a Ryzen one, which I intend to spank a 1700 to with in an inch of it's life. A couple of high end graphics cards will go in there are as well. I have realised that my power supply is over 9 years old. It's a Hiper Power type R 880w. From looking at other forum post's, this brand had should I say, less than a stellar reputation for reliability :D. However mines been as good as gold and has not had a problem. So what do you think. Should it be pensioned off or keep going.

Permabanned
ah a good old hyper, i ran one years ago i think it was made by chanell well tech so a solid psu.
i would also ditch it and buy a new one as its very very old now just to be safe.

Associate
OP
Thanks for the advise. Sounds like I've been very lucky and it could run out on a new system. Made by Chanell made me chuckle.

Soldato
Definitely time to replace it. I had a Zalman that was at least 8 years old and I was having all sorts of problems it was definitely a hardware issue but hard to pin down. Anyway in the end I decided to ditch the PSU for a new EVGA as it was by far and away the the oldest component in my system and sure enough that fixed it, but not without killing a 2gb HDD, at least thats the only explanation I can find for its sudden demise not long after being hooked up. Don't buy Samsung Spinpoint's is my advice the WD drives were obviously struggling but they never gave up and were fine after the new PSU.

Don't assume just because hardware monitoring software shows nothing abnormal there isn't a problem.

Back
Top Bottom