Is it time to change to Windows 10?

Associate
I'm still on windows 7 Ultimate since it was released.

What are people's opinions of Win 10? Is it worth changing to?

Should I hang onto Win 7 unto death ?

thanks in advance

Man of Honour
Depends what you do with the system personally Windows 10 ain't going near the systems I actually want to use maybe eventually dual boot on my gaming system for dx12, etc. and I'd stick even 8.1 on my tablet except some of the hardware isn't supported on anything older than 10.

I've got it on some secondary systems and don't like it - while there arr some great things there are also some truly retarded features that detract from the good stuff.

Soldato
I'm very happy with Win10 and have had every Windows version over the decades since 3.11, end of the day Win7 is very dated and on its way out (Jan 2020) . I've had no issues with drivers or gaming. I still use Windows for gaming, otherwise I would be on Linux for good :) .

Like any OS the only way to find out is try it yourself.

Soldato
Like any OS the only way to find out is try it yourself.

Best advice possible. For me, I like Windows 10 and use it on everything unless I have a specific reason not to (HTPC is Windows 7 as it uses Windows Media Centre, Work PCs are Win7 because it's easier to control which driver a device is using than Win10 which likes to control this itself).

Windows 10 has advantages and disadvantages compared to other OSes, which means a few people feel passionately and vocally pro or against it and the best way to find out if it's right for you is to try it.

Soldato
Why you do still such an old OS like windows 7 :confused:

Reminds me of all them XP users that took years & years to upgrade...(I bet there still some die hard XP users out there that refuse to upgrade)

Associate
OP

Quite simply because Win8 was bloody awful, and I read such horror stories from people when Win10 launched. I've held off as Win7 has never given me any real issues.

I was also one of the people who hung onto 98 because ME and Vista were also bloody awful.. I joined the Win7 beta when it came out, loved it, and bought it on day of release.

Well, I might take the plunge..though I'll have to see how it will affect my sharing/homegroup with the missus.

Soldato

Reminds me of all them XP users that took years & years to upgrade...(I bet there still some die hard XP users out there that refuse to upgrade)

Reminds me of people who think unless you have the latest hifi or iphone or whatever theres something wrong with you. Because durr. Heres news for you: I don't have a smartphone! The horror!

Soldato
Windows 10 is going to be the last OS, from then onwards we are going to get featured updates. So you will have to upgrade to it at some point if you continue to use the Microsoft platform, whether you like it or not.

Man of Honour

Here is the thing - Windows 8 was well not great, I wouldn't say awful but a few things are a step backwards in terms of how fleshed out the features are compared to 7 and other things are a bit hit and miss then personally I find anything other than a start menu of the traditional style intrusive when I'm working with a lot of different applications, etc.

I would rather use Windows 8 than 10 and I never thought there would be the day I'd say I'd rather use 8 than anything.

Windows 10 I find there is way too much stuff that doesn't respect the end user - you are forced to use it on MS's terms and that simply isn't the purpose of an operating system - if you actually make proper use of it on a tablet for instance its quite frustrating as it will ignore that its a portable platform that you might pick up and use at any time when trying to do updates, has a lot of options for things like connection metering heavily restricted and half the times has no accommodation for the fact the system might be (a) running on battery (b) bandwidth limited.

Then there is that it looks bland as **** and personally I find it fatiguing visually with little to break up the monotony of it if I'm using the PC for longer sessions while 7 even if the overly bevelled 3D look is a bit dated at least has a nice polished aesthetic that is easy on the eyes.

Windows 10 has the potential to be a great OS but they need to put some power back into the hands of the end user in relation to how privacy stuff, windows update, etc. works - most of the dumb excuses for not doing so have increasingly been proved to be dumb - it hasn't proved to be the security bonus some have eulogised, it hasn't proved to simply support as some have eulogised (as can be seen with them stopping support for older hardware past certain updates) which was a silly argument in the first place, it has resulted in a trail of issues with regard to compatibility, etc. after updates especially the bigger ones so all the stuff about how that won't be an issue due to the testing they will be doing is as BS as it sounded - continuing with it is just stupid obstinance at this point.

Then some better build in facilitation for theming, etc. would go a long way - while I can see the purpose of the default look in terms of being appropriate for business environments and does actually look great on the Windows Mobile platform its just nasty if you have an eye for aesthetics under other scenarios - and while if you use it on Windows Mobile you can understand where they were going with some of it generally it doesn't make much sense on a desktop PC and even less so now that platform is basically obsolete.

Associate
I was an avid XP user. I hated vista but when 7 came out I tried it and liked it.
I couldn't get to grips with 8 or 8.1 but when 10 came out I tried it and to start with it wasnt for me. I went back to 7.

I tried 10 again just before the free upgrade ran out and I gave it another go and ive been on it ever since.

Soldato
Upgrade, if you don't like it rollback.

poisonheart did not say how he would try win10 -
Do you think roll-back (etc) is a reliable mechanism. ?
I tried windows 10 with an installation on a new hdd, I would not have risked upsetting stability of my win 7 environment

Soldato
poisonheart did not say how he would try win10 -
Do you think roll-back (etc) is a reliable mechanism. ?
I tried windows 10 with an installation on a new hdd, I would not have risked upsetting stability of my win 7 environment

Don't people back anything up these days? :p Golden rule before upgrading to a new OS.

Soldato
(Did not think of this earlier) - but the free upgrade did have a time-out on the roll-back, but maybe not with a new retail upgrade ?
perhaps is gives clear advance notice though.

Don't people back anything up these days? :p Golden rule before upgrading to a new OS.
yes personal files, and for the OS+apps you could keep an image of disc, but (extra cautious me) would also need to have done a trial image restore before, on another disk.

Soldato
Had no issue with 8.1. Found it fast and works well. Although I did straight away purchase start8 for $5 so i could have a much better start menu. You cant beat win 7 the for start menu.

Back
Top Bottom