Is it time to wake the bike up yet?

Soldato
Makes me laugh when people say they ride all year round and have done 4 to 5 winters at most lol.

Why? Whether you've done 1 year all round all 50 years you'll know the hardships of cold fingers, muddy gear and slippy roads. It makes no difference.

Soldato
Why? Whether you've done 1 year all round all 50 years you'll know the hardships of cold fingers, muddy gear and slippy roads. It makes no difference.

Why because we have not had a bad winter in years.

First ten years of riding it's all new and exciting.

Soldato
So if after 10 years it's no longer new and exciting, why continue?

It's exactly why I gave up driving. It got boring, wasn't new or exciting.

Not being able to ride my bike because there's an inch of ice and snow on the road and the temperature is -6 is a pretty bad winter in my books. It's been cold and miserable since the end of November and is only just now clearing up and we're in March already :)

Soldato
I ride because I love it simple.

lol a handful of days with snow and some chilly days is not a bad winter.

What is your location ?

Last edited:
Soldato
Makes me laugh when people say they ride all year round and have done 4 to 5 winters at most lol.

This is my 4th decade of riding all year round I do not own a car still have no desire for one ,I like riding maybe I am old and stupid and no know no better.

Riders on average I know last about 10 years then hit the car which is the start of the slippery slope of only using the bike on nice day's e.t.c and if you decide to marry some bird it's game over :D
I've done 4 years, 4 winters and 45k miles in total, I class myself as an all year round rider.

I'm changing jobs very soon which will mean I won't need to use the bike to commute, and quite frankly I cannot wait. Yes in summer commuting by bike is great fun but when it's zero degrees, you're being blinded by cars, your visor is covered in road salt and the road is covered in grime and a slippery salty paste... Yes, I'd rather be in a car.

If you enjoy commuting through the depths of winter (not normal pleasure riding, but commuting) then good for you, but you're a rarity!!! :D

I will be one of those bikers who only use the bike in nice weather or for touring, I have no desire to go out for a ride for fun when it's cold or raining.

Soldato
I ride because I love it simple.

lol a handful of days with snow and some chilly days is not a bad winter.

What is your location ?
West Midlands. No one could have ridden on the roads Thursday/Friday last week. No chance. Got down to -8 with a windchill of -14 :)

I've luckily not seen any black ice this winter which is the first time for 5 years.

Soldato
TallPaul I am a rarity there is only 2 of us still doing it others have given up or died we are stubborn and a little selfish but I love my life style.

Soldato
West Midlands. No one could have ridden on the roads Thursday/Friday last week. No chance. Got down to -8 with a windchill of -14 :)

I've luckily not seen any black ice this winter which is the first time for 5 years.

hehe chill out I am not judging you :)

Soldato
lol cheeky monkey you will feel the same in another 20 years when the up and coming young guns try to teach you to suck eggs :D

Soldato
Good on you, I hope I'm still riding that much in 10/15 years time.

My winter 2 wheeled fun will involve getting muddy and throwing myself down rocky muddy hills, much more fun that sliding around on the roads on a bike :D

Soldato
Good on you, I hope I'm still riding that much in 10/15 years time.

My winter 2 wheeled fun will involve getting muddy and throwing myself down rocky muddy hills, much more fun that sliding around on the roads on a bike :D

Friend of mine bought a Honda CRF250L just before winter for his 50th and is having good laugh we all might participate pick something up cheap for a giggle.

I live in the fens so lot's of old tracks e.t.c.

Soldato
OP
I think I'm contrary to most rules. In my early 40s. Have a young family. Passed my MOD2 just last year and now motoring on a Ducati Supersport. Bikes have always been something of a taboo since my cousin died on his. He was in his early 20s and was killed within weeks of passing his test. That was many years ago. Everyone is used to the idea of me riding now. In fact my partner encourage me to go for it, so fair play to her. She may have raised an eyebrow at the cost of the bike but she's pretty cool overall about that too.

RE the fair-weather comments. I do ride my little YBR125 in all weathers. I know what cold fingers feel like but when I can I'll just use my partner's car :) I daren't let the Ducati anywhere near salted roads!

IC3

IC3

Soldato
I noticed most of the people around me, get married once an unexpected baby pops up or they just split.

Back
Top Bottom